This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Happens If I Don't Stick To The Diet?

Killarney

Guest gliX

under no circumstances should you eat wheat anymore, because, i have the same thing, 0 out of 1 million times i feel a thing when eating gluten. However, the doctor said my intestine was messed up and i went back last month and he said it was looking great. i don't know what can happen if your intestine gets messed up a lot but it's probably not good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jrobertson Newbie

Hi all, Im still very new at this but feel the need to write. Ive been gluten-free for about 7mo now and night b4 last I got up and slept walk to eat some bread. Ive always walked in my sleep but never to eat. I was told by my doctor once again that I tested negitive for C.D. and wasnt willing to eat the stuff again to be retested. It hurt too much. Well, after getting up and eating that wonderful gluteness food I have been SICK since. Cant even leave the house due to the stomach pain, constant trips to the bathroom, insomnia. Now, this really makes me mad cause I was just told once again I was crazy. Subconsciously tried it one more time and feel terrible. Does it sound crazy that blood tests could just be wrong? I had taught myself to stop eating all together before testing cause I believed everything made me sick. Now Im crazy cause I started this diet due to the pain I feel when I did eat glutens? Is there a win in this situation? I know Im not crazy... just proved it to myself again but how do I get this doctor to understand?

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) maybe it's time to change doctors--sometimes you have to try a new avenue--i listened to the doctors and went over 20 yrs without help--an internal medicine man told me IBS or spastic colin, told me to reduce my stress (right, we can all do that) <_< and put me on xanex--they started me on .25mg 4x's a day--i could not even walk let alone function :blink: , so then they told me to just take them when i felt a panic attack coming on--well, my tummy problems were what was causing the panic attacks because i knew that if i planned anything or was taking someone somewhere, that of course my tummy would act up, so then i had anticipatory aniexty too--i know now that me being celiac and not absorbing my vitamins was causing me to have a chemical imbalence in my brain which caused the panic--when the xanex didnt work, they put me on paxil--by the time i tried going gluten free, i was taking 40mgs of paxil a day and barely getting by--as i was getting better from removing gluten from my system, i also weaned myself of paxil--they tell you paxil is not addicting :angry: , but that's a lie--you NEED it and there were days when my man would tell me to please take my meds--i would have crying days--cry all day long, it was difficult to be around me, i am sure--learn to listen to your body--it takes time and the truth is, i know i am a celiac, never been tested, but i know and even if i wasnt--gluten free will not hurt you, we can live very healthy lives without gluten :rolleyes: ----SOOOOOOO listen to your body--otay :D deb
celiac3270 Collaborator

Lpellegr used the "report" button to try to reply to this thread. The member wanted to say:

I am recently diagnosed and also have no outward symptoms other than anemia, which I found through blood testing (I never felt anemic), so I have no way of knowing if I have accidentally eaten anything forbidden.  People keep asking if I feel better, but I felt fine before except for random GI symptoms that I thought were IBS.  So even though it makes no difference to how I feel, I am trying to stick really hard to a gluten-free diet because I have read about the long-term consequences of gluten exposure.  Cooking at home works out fine, although substitute food can be expensive, but eating out is a challenge (and I'm already planning what I will do when I have to travel for work - not easy).  But I am sticking to it to make sure it doesn't get worse.  Like some of the other posters said, focus on what you can have and try to include new things, rather than mourning for what you can't have.  I try to educate friends and family to the long-term consequences so they will help me, and most willingly do.  Now if I could only find a good substitute pizza crust....
plantime Contributor
And if you're curious, McDonalds fries and burgers without buns are gluten free. : )

Please be careful here! I don't know if McDonald's serves onion rings, but other fastfood joints do, and they cook the rings in the same oil as the fries. At least, all of the ones I have been to do! Just remember to ask if the fries are done in a dedicated fryer!

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:D this one i can definitely help with--my son is the manager of a McDonalds and they never put anything else in the french fries oil--only fries go in it and i have had fries at McDonald's and been fine--i dont know if i would trust the burgers, only because you are only safe if the person with the turner isnt touching buns--it is so easy to not even realize you are cross contaminating--i was thinking about just that the other day when i was making coffee at work--we use the same filter holder, of course a different filter each time, but none the less, the same filter holder for all brands of coffee--it's so easy to make a mistake---but, i do know the fries are safe--eat hearty :P deb
lilliexx Contributor

hey

i just wanted to add my two cents here. I also was a pizza/pasta/bread freak!! And i still am!! I am 2 & 1/2 months glutenfree :) and i still eat most of the same foods. I make lasagne,sphegetti & other pasta with tinkyada noodles!! they are the best. Alot of rice pasta gets soggy and falls apart but not tinkyada!! Another one i like is papadini bean pasta. It has a different taste and texture than real pasta but i still find it quite good. The sauce i use that is glutenfree is classico. (all flavors are gluten-free)

The only gluten-free pizza i have found is amy's brand. It's cheese only, but you can add your own toppings. And for bread, you are better off making your own. The packaged kind is gross. buy a bread mix and make it by hand. They taste like real bread but do crumble more than reg. bread.

It is sometimes a pain being glutenfree but its worth it in the long run.

good luck!!

lillie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived