Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are nosebleeds related to celiac. I think i have read that they are. My step-son has gotten them again in the last 2 days, and i know he has been sneaking gluten again. Could this be related. Last night he was crying when he got a really bad one, and im like see this is what happens when u eat gluten. But im not sure if the two are related are not. But i do think it scared him enough not to want to sneak gluten anymore. he has gottenn nosebleeds for yrs now, that is one reason they diagnosed him with low blood sugar about 5 yrs ago.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Interesting. I know some people - regardless of celiac status, are sensitive to nosebleeds. My husband certainly used to be, when he was a kid, and it apparently just has to do with the lack of robustness of the blood vessels in his nose. (He's still sensitive to the really big changes that are likely to bring them on - very dramatic temperature changes and large elevation gains.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Is it possible that a vitamin deficiency could lead to nosebleeds? I mean, since gluten in a Celiac's diet can lead to vitamin deficiencies. I don't know if this is the case, just food for thought.

*edit* I just looked it up online and vitamin K deficiencies can cause nosebleeds. I don't know if this is one of the vitamins that isn't absorbed by Celiacs or not.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Thanks got your responses. Im wondering if i should get a whole multi-vitmain or just one full in vitamin k, the gluten free ones we have now only are 31 percent the daily recommendations.. If he was deficient in vitamin k tho wouldnt it have showed up on the cbc, or do i need to do other blood work to figure that out?

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

I'm not sure that I would supplement with Potassium. There are many potassium rich foods that you could be trying to push.

HIGH potassium (more than 225 milligrams per 1/2 c. serving)

These foods would be beneficial to athletes or to others who incur heavy fluid loss. Patients on potassium-restricted diets should avoid them, or eat them sparingly, as advised by their nutritionist.

All meats, poultry and fish are high in potassium.

Apricots (fresh more so than canned)

Avocado

Banana

Cantaloupe

Honeydew

Kiwi

Lima beans

Milk

Oranges and orange juice

Potatoes (can be reduced to moderate by soaking peeled, sliced potatoes overnight before cooking)

Prunes

Spinach

Tomatoes

Vegetable juice

Winter squash

MODERATE (125 - 225 mg per serving)

These foods can be a large part of most people's balanced nutrition plan. Persons restricting their potassium might be cautioned to include no more than one or two servings from this list per day, depending on their medical restrictions.

Apple juice

Asparagus

Beets

Blackberries

Broccoli

Carrots

Cherries

Corn

Eggplant

Grapefruit

Green peas

Loose-leaf lettuce