Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snowcoveredheart

And I Was Doing So Well....

*ouch*

so i cooked yesterday - being mother's day over here - a three course roast dinner - however being new to the whole gluten-free stuffs and living with my family that arent i made dad liver pate (with bread crumbs) and you justy HAVE to taste it - right?... and then i made them real cheese sauce with cream ... and real soft light yorkshire puds that rose and were spoungy... the pud was totally gluten-free free as was the meat and veggies and i even did a different starter for me.. but just the small amount i tried has left me in pain and absilutly shattered now...*sniff*... i dnt rememeber so little hurting so much. :(

Snow

xXx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm sorry you didn't catch yourself before trying the liver pate and are sick. I hope that you'll feel better soon.

Maybe next time you can use gluten-free bread crumbs? Then you can not only taste it, but eat it, too! And you won't have to remember to be careful. If everything else is gluten-free, why not go all the way and enjoy a carefree day?

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe next time you can use gluten-free bread crumbs? Then you can not only taste it, but eat it, too! And you won't have to remember to be careful. If everything else is gluten-free, why not go all the way and enjoy a carefree day?

unlikely my dads not very supportive of the whole "waffy foods" thing, he did eat my sponge but made a comment about "not be having this again".

i have had had the tests and things and the bloods have come back positive but hes of a mind set that its all just in the mind and faddy. As i live at home and cant afford to move out at present i simply have to just try as much as i can at present.

unlikely my dads not very supportive of the whole "waffy foods" thing, he did eat my sponge but made a comment about "not be having this again".

Well, you can always make a similar comment about "not be cooking for you again".

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Maybe I'm selfish, but if people are eating at my house, they're going to have what I want to serve them. And that does not include gluten. My friends are awesome about it and open minded and willing to try the food and decide if it tastes good rather than assuming it's bad because it's gluten-free.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you're sick. Next time, I would probably go entirely gluten-free because it's so hard to avoid things like this. Putting food in my mouth used to be a very natural, spontaneous thing. It took me a long time to break the habit of not thinking about what I was eating.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

If I cook, it is gluten free. For special occasions I will include store bought rolls for my gluten eating son and husband.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Maybe I'm selfish, but if people are eating at my house, they're going to have what I want to serve them. And that does not include gluten. My friends are awesome about it and open minded and willing to try the food and decide if it tastes good rather than assuming it's bad because it's gluten-free.

see thats the problem.. its is THEIR house; not mine. of course i do agree i should have done the whole thing gluten-free and next time i will! Equally thats my dad attitude to his cooking, which is why hes not willing to not use dairy (real butter and cream - which leave me bad for days) in his cooking, and i have asked him not to cook for me at all - but that causes all SORTS of hissy fits and a bad environment in which i have to live.

my bro wouldnt even try most the food cause it was 'freaky'...although he puts ketchup on the pate so clearly has no palate at all!!!

If I cook, it is gluten free. For special occasions I will include store bought rolls for my gluten eating son and husband.

Im lucky my parents have been very supportive on all this. They know for holidays and special events that the food will be gluten free. Of course i have had 2 cakes now this past week for the birthday parties for everyone could eat. But if it comes to an meal it will be gluten free, and everyone is fine with that.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

If I'm cooking it or eating it (and if I'm cooking it, I'm going to be eating it), it's gluten and dairy free. "Deal with it, people." It still tastes just fine - in fact, my friends / family / acquaintances / coworkers usually love my foods (the baked goods taste different from what they're expecting, but they often like them too, and I don't bake often enough to make "fabulous baked goods"). If your father wants to have preconceived notions and pass judgment without information, that's his right. You can also not cook for him while he's disrespectful.

(I may have strong feelings on this issue. :lol: )

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

see thats the problem.. its is THEIR house; not mine. of course i do agree i should have done the whole thing gluten-free and next time i will! Equally thats my dad attitude to his cooking, which is why hes not willing to not use dairy (real butter and cream - which leave me bad for days) in his cooking, and i have asked him not to cook for me at all - but that causes all SORTS of hissy fits and a bad environment in which i have to live.

my bro wouldnt even try most the food cause it was 'freaky'...although he puts ketchup on the pate so clearly has no palate at all!!!

Dear snowcoveredheart,

I am in a similar situation. I am stuck living at home with parents who refuse to go gluten free. It is not them who gets violently ill when they ingest a microscopic particle of gluten, so why would they care? I am tired of getting sick from cross contamination. Who cares if this is a deadly disease, and my intestines are damaged every single time I get glutened (which is a lot lately)?

People say that I am selfish expecting my parents to go gluten free for my sake. I am a bad daughter. I am the hateful, ingrateful one. No one ever sees it from the other side. That is because they do not want to. They do not ever see them as bad parents for not being concerned about my health. Then they complain that I need to go out and get a job! I am too sick to work. I wouldn't be if I did not get glutened constantly. No one ever thinks of that, though.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't your house. That complicates things. I'd definitely invite them over to your place next time. I would often rather cook dinner for friends than go out to a restaurant. Sometimes they say they feel badly because I'm always cooking for them, so I have to stress that I don't mind at all because it's keeping me safe and giving me an easy way to hang out and have a meal with them.

I had one friend who wouldn't try my cookies because they were gluten-free. It was pretty hurtful. The other two people there at the time tried them and thought they were delicious. I felt like yelling, you eat chicken with no problem and that's gluten-free! And you should really cut apples out of your diet unless you inject wheat germ into them!

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't your house. That complicates things. I'd definitely invite them over to your place next time. I would often rather cook dinner for friends than go out to a restaurant. Sometimes they say they feel badly because I'm always cooking for them, so I have to stress that I don't mind at all because it's keeping me safe and giving me an easy way to hang out and have a meal with them.

I had one friend who wouldn't try my cookies because they were gluten-free. It was pretty hurtful. The other two people there at the time tried them and thought they were delicious. I felt like yelling, you eat chicken with no problem and that's gluten-free! And you should really cut apples out of your diet unless you inject wheat germ into them!

i live at home sweetie. So its precarious, at best, but i can not move out at present. i lreally rather like cooking, its just i was trying to accomodate for everyone on sunday - incl my borther who also lives at home and wont eat the gluten-free stuff because its 'weird' and also trying to make some of the nice stuffs i used to make before i stopped eatting it.

whats with apples?

i live at home sweetie. So its precarious, at best, but i can not move out at present. i lreally rather like cooking, its just i was trying to accomodate for everyone on sunday - incl my borther who also lives at home and wont eat the gluten-free stuff because its 'weird' and also trying to make some of the nice stuffs i used to make before i stopped eatting it.

whats with apples?

Dear snowcoveredheart,

OMG! :o We must live in the exact same family! This is how everyone I live with is!

I am tired of them trying to make me sound selfish because I have special dietary needs. They are the selfish ones, not us. It is so annoying! Everyone treats you like you are a brat. People always say "You don't have the right to complain, they put a roof over your head, blah, blah, blah...) These stupid morons called relatives do not live there, they do not have a clue what you have or have not been through. They do not understand why we are angry and hurt, and do not trust people.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Dear snowcoveredheart,

OMG! :o We must live in the exact same family! This is how everyone I live with is!

I am tired of them trying to make me sound selfish because I have special dietary needs. They are the selfish ones, not us. It is so annoying! Everyone treats you like you are a brat. People always say "You don't have the right to complain, they put a roof over your head, blah, blah, blah...) These stupid morons called relatives do not live there, they do not have a clue what you have or have not been through. They do not understand why we are angry and hurt, and do not trust people.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

sort of...

..my folks didnt 'glut' me at the weekend.. i did... i was dumb and stuck the fork in my mouth no one else, and on the whole they let me do my own thing, make my own food and i do mostly buy my own stuff. i think its unreasonable to expect the folks to go gluten-free when they dont need to, its just a case of having to be sure that i have brough my own roasting and baking trays which are kept away from theirs and i have my own chopping board and knife set, etc, that they leave alone. i dont want them to have to change their lifestyle to accodate me, but i have had to change mine and think extra carefully at home, eg being sure that i have wiped down ever surface before i start cooking.

the only times we come to a battle is when my dad insists on cooking for me, and he will then use ingrediants ive been most clear that i cant eat. Then i think he is being unreasonable, i havnt asked him to cook for me im capable of cooking for myself but if he wants to cook for me then i think that means he should cook for the restrictions, or accept that i can eat that. As would anyone of my friends or anyone else. I can see his point of view, and i can see why he thinks it might be faddy, its new and alien to him and he doesnt suffer it so its hard to understand (my mom is quite the opposite actualy) and i dont really expect him to ever 'get it', but i think that if i can cook things he likes and can eat then its courtosey to do the same back on the occassions that he does.

my brother is just an idiot, i learnt this long ago about so much other stuff and ive told him as much several times, i may have lost my rag on sunday thought and pointed out no one was making him eat it.

sort of...

..my folks didnt 'glut' me at the weekend.. i did... i was dumb and stuck the fork in my mouth no one else, and on the whole they let me do my own thing, make my own food and i do mostly buy my own stuff. i think its unreasonable to expect the folks to go gluten-free when they dont need to, its just a case of having to be sure that i have brough my own roasting and baking trays which are kept away from theirs and i have my own chopping board and knife set, etc, that they leave alone. i dont want them to have to change their lifestyle to accodate me, but i have had to change mine and think extra carefully at home, eg being sure that i have wiped down ever surface before i start cooking.

the only times we come to a battle is when my dad insists on cooking for me, and he will then use ingrediants ive been most clear that i cant eat. Then i think he is being unreasonable, i havnt asked him to cook for me im capable of cooking for myself but if he wants to cook for me then i think that means he should cook for the restrictions, or accept that i can eat that. As would anyone of my friends or anyone else. I can see his point of view, and i can see why he thinks it might be faddy, its new and alien to him and he doesnt suffer it so its hard to understand (my mom is quite the opposite actualy) and i dont really expect him to ever 'get it', but i think that if i can cook things he likes and can eat then its courtosey to do the same back on the occassions that he does.

my brother is just an idiot, i learnt this long ago about so much other stuff and ive told him as much several times, i may have lost my rag on sunday thought and pointed out no one was making him eat it.

Dear snowcoveredheart,

At least your mother seems to understand. My mother just has assumed I am crazy from day one. No one knows how much that hurts. My dad has been more understanding than she has. However, they both are very careless, and have gotten me sick. They get lazy, and do not want to inconvenience themselves. I get thoroughly exhausted from having to scrub everything just to be able to cook the simplest food. He pours his cereal right by my coffee, and then did not tell me. The dust gets in there. All it takes is a microscopic amount for me. I get so violently ill, it is horrible. He also will touch his toast then touch my coffee cup. He makes me sound like I am being paranoid, but being Celiac, that is all it takes, once again. Sometimes I think I will have to live in a freakin' bubble to be safe. I wish I could move out. Then I would not have to worry about it anymore.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. I worry about people bothering my cookware as well. It is difficult not to. Maybe if you guys have Rubbermaid over there in the UK, you could use a large plastic storage container for your things. As far as my foods go, I got these colored dot stickers like they use for price tags. That way, whenever there is a dot on something, they know not to dip into that peanut butter or whatever it is. Mom has come around in some ways, but there are other times like nothing is changed and she still believes I am just nuts.

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    luvbaggio
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)