This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergens In Alcohol -- Gluten, Casein, Egg, Fish?

hathor

hathor Contributor

Does anyone here have an experience of reacting to an ingredient used to make alcohol, like fining agents used to clarify the product? There is a proposal outstanding to put allergen warnings on the label.

Open Original Shared Link

Is this something to be worried about, or are the amounts too small to be concerned with? I know you can find vegan wines which would assure the absence of some items, but this wouldn't cover gluten. It seems by the end of the year (unless the rulemaking gets delayed ...) we may have more warning labels to decipher. I guess in a restaurant, you would have to have them bring out potential wines and let you look at the labels.

It makes me wonder if sometimes I have been reacting to a particular wine rather than cross-contamination in food :huh: I've been assuming that the clarification process is sufficient to take out the yeast in wine (yeast being something I am told I should avoid -- note the careful wording on that one :lol: ). I have taken out enough from my diet, I really don't want to worry about wine too. I feel like saying this is one thing I refuse to give up ...

Edit: I was reading a number of articles, some of which mentioned allergens potentially in alcohol other than wine. I realize I was inaccurate above, in that the rulemaking looks to just deal with wine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Personally I've thought for a long time that allergan warnings and ingredient lists should be on alcohol of any kind. For me even a small amount of something filtered out is a no-no. I am a celiac who reacts strongly to gluten even in distilled products so for me this is really good news.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I never worried about that until I recently had a very distinctive casein reaction from wine. I happened to be a country where allergen labeling is very good, and sure enough there was a "may contain traces of milk protein" warning on the label. I dunno, I'd never really noticed that kind of reaction to wine in the US, but I don't drink it enough to really be able to say.

aikiducky Apprentice
I never worried about that until I recently had a very distinctive casein reaction from wine. I happened to be a country where allergen labeling is very good, and sure enough there was a "may contain traces of milk protein" warning on the label. I dunno, I'd never really noticed that kind of reaction to wine in the US, but I don't drink it enough to really be able to say.

I've had a casein reaction from wine as well sometimes. I stick to Spanish, Italian and French wines now and so far, so good.

Pauliina

Mango04 Enthusiast
I've had a casein reaction from wine as well sometimes. I stick to Spanish, Italian and French wines now and so far, so good.

Pauliina

Good to know. Wine is just one of those things I don't want to have to worry about. It should just always be safe and allergen free haha. I'll have to look more closely at the vegan wine lists one of these days.

lorka150 Collaborator

I buy vegan, organic wine, and then it helps avoid the other allergens (as well as sulphites).

mullady76 Newbie

I know some of the fining agents (clarifiers) used in beer/wine making can be made from some pretty nasty stuff. Bentonite (clay), Polyclar (plastic powder), Gelatin, Isinglass (fish swim bladders) are a few. I have even heard of some home brewers using egg whites.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast
I know some of the fining agents (clarifiers) used in beer/wine making can be made from some pretty nasty stuff. Bentonite (clay), Polyclar (plastic powder), Gelatin, Isinglass (fish swim bladders) are a few. I have even heard of some home brewers using egg whites.

Yeah and casein is another thing they sometimes use <_<

• 2 weeks later...
jukie Rookie

Just wanted to share some info I found on Yellowtail wines which are very easy to find (unlike some of the vegan/organic wines) and also very good. I use the Chardonnay for cooking (and drinking :D) and the Shiraz is also great. They've recently added several others that I haven't tried...yet.

From their FAQ - Open Original Shared Link

Q: Okay for Vegan?

A: Drink assured. Our [yellow tail] red wines are 100% animal and animal byproduct free -accept of course the animal on the label. However, you will find a small amount of gelatin used in the finishing process of our white wines and therefore they aren't appropriate for our vegan friends.

Q: What if I'm allergic to Glutens?

A: All of the [yellow tail] wines are gluten-free. So while you won't find lecithin, food starches or any wheat/soy/nut products in our wine, what you will find is a whole lot of flavor.

(BTW, I'm gluten, casein, soy, and egg free.)

Archived