Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flowergirl

My First Glutening After Going gluten-free - Weird

Hi everyone, I think I may have experienced my first glutening. :blink: It was terrible but I am not sure if it was a glutening or just a cold? :huh:

5 Days ago I had a few sips of hot chocolate and 2 gluten-free chocolates for the first time since going gluten-free. The hot choc was with cows milk and I am lactose intolerant. I thought I'd give it a try and see what happens. That afternoon I developed an inflammation in my throat that went on to a full blown cold the next day. I was sleeping all the time and feeling feverish and fuzzy with a running nose. I had been constipated up untill this morning when I had a few semi normal bm's and then yellow D. It was scary! It was almost fluorescent like described in this thread.

Can I call it a glutening? Do you think there may have been wheat in the hot choc or is it the lactose? Or soy or something else in the chocolates?

I am dumbfounded by this :blink:

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Gluten intolerant - self diagnosed 2007 (not willing to do gluten challenge) and anemic

no dairy, soy, legumes, eggs, sugar, chocolate

no baked and processed foods (also gluten-free bakery) and high GI (due to hypoglycemia)

enjoy brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa and polenta instead

neurological symptoms flare up when glutened and in times of stress

following paleo diet, lots of raw fruit and veg, omega 3 oils, nuts

I feel heathy and able to function for the first time in my life. Thank God.

Organic food gives a great advantage.

Kefir rules!

On a mission to get rid of Candida overgrowth after a stressful event dropped my immune system. On a strict anti-candida diet using herbs and natural remedies. No meds or drugs to make it worse thanks.

http://www.gilbertssyndrome.com/candida.php

http://www.candidasupport.org/candida.html

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

'Hi everyone, I think I may have experienced my first glutening. It was terrible but I am not sure if it was a glutening or just a cold?

5 Days ago I had a few sips of hot chocolate'

I don't know about the rest of this crowd - but 5 days seems too long. I get a reaction within hours, sometimes even before the end of a meal (do NOT wear close fitting waistbands that cannot be discretely undone!!LOL).

Thank you, I thought about what you said, it makes sense. I should also mention that I took an ibuprofen last night for period pain. Can that cause D?

Gluten intolerant - self diagnosed 2007 (not willing to do gluten challenge) and anemic

no baked and processed foods (also gluten-free bakery) and high GI (due to hypoglycemia)

Kefir rules!

On a mission to get rid of Candida overgrowth after a stressful event dropped my immune system. On a strict anti-candida diet using herbs and natural remedies. No meds or drugs to make it worse thanks.

You said that afternoon though - right? Is that the only thing you ate? Was it surrounded by something else? I'm new at this -but maybe that wasn't the culprit. I think that when I'm finally healthy from going gluten-free that's going to be the hardest thing - pinpointing what made you sick!

Good luck - hope you're feeling better...

Tritty (my childhood nickname....)

Age 31, Mommy of 3

Blood test positive for celiac 1/16/07

gluten-free since 1/16/07

Endoscopy 2/13/07 - small hiatal hernia, scalloped mucosa in 1st and 2nd part of duodenum, some erosion of the esophogus.

Two oldest kids - fine so far :)

My 17 mo old has eosinophilic esophogitis. Only showing milk allergy? So completely off dairy for time being to see if that is trigger...

Yes, the hot choc and the two gluten-free chocolates were the only out of the ordinary things I ate. I knew they may make me ill but my partner and I wanted to test it out. We are slowly moving towards reintroducing things and seeing what happens.

We had a few stressful weeks and I know my immune system is very low so I was not surprized by the cold and runny nose. That it happened right after having NO NO's may be a coincedence... or not. I am just very surprized at the yellow, flourenscent D I had this morning. I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary since the chocs besides taking the ibuprofen last night. :huh: I guess the D was either the choc, milk or Ibuprofen. When I became ill my digestive system halted and I became constipated and now 5 days later this happens... It is very strange and hard to pinpoint. :unsure:

You said that afternoon though - right? Is that the only thing you ate?

Thanks, I am feeling better now.

Kefir rules!

I bet it was a coincidental, I got glutened after going gluten-free and within a half hour I was in the bathroom. Your cold was probably already brewing.

You might be sensitive to Ibuprofren, especially if you're allergic to asprin or any thing that is related to asprin. and sensitivities can just show up at any time in your life. It's worth it keeping a food log and writing down the stuff you eat as well as OTC meds you might be taking.

I guess the D was either the choc, milk or Ibuprofen. When I became ill my digestive system halted and I became constipated and now 5 days later this happens... It is very strange and hard to pinpoint. :unsure:

Thanks, I am feeling better now.

I bet it was a coincidental, I got glutened after going gluten-free and within a half hour I was in the bathroom. Your cold was probably already brewing.

You might be sensitive to Ibuprofren, especially if you're allergic to asprin or any thing that is related to asprin. and sensitivities can just show up at any time in your life. It's worth it keeping a food log and writing down the stuff you eat as well as OTC meds you might be taking.

It could be any or all....

My advice is give reintroducing a break until you feel better... you soon will.... then you can be more objective and retry....

If you only made one mistake then your doing way better than I did when I first went gluten-free!!!!!!

Take it easy, spoil youself... buy some nice stuff like essential oils and ask hubby for a massage... take a nice long hot bath with some nice candles... ask hubby for some HUGS... how about you rent a film and hug up on the sofa ....

It could just be "girl stuff" related as well..just a funny cycle... . but you know it doesn't matter... take care of yourself and give yourself some treats...

You're doing GREAT.... one mistake is nothing... it might not feel like it but put it in perspective...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Thanks everyone, I don't know what I would have done without this forum. Only you guys can understand these things. :rolleyes: I realise now that glutening or getting ill makes you loose your objectivity and clear thinking. Now that I look back on it... I chose the completely wrong time to start re-introducing nasties in my diet. Thanks again. ^_^

Kefir rules!

So sorry you were ill..

for whatever it's worth, my 4yo has a lot of allergies but the only time his poop turns that flourescent yellow is when he's been glutened (including oats). I guess it's a good indicator which I should appreciate in a weird sort of way.... Easier than just fixating on the behavioral signs.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Sapphiresun
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)