This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could This Be A Problem

wowzer

wowzer Community Regular

I've been trying to figure out what I've been missing. I feel that I'm somehow getting gluten. I checked the gluten free drug list again. I had overlooked a couple. One is my estodiol. I asked the pharmacist and she contacted the company and they can't guarantee that it's gluten free. I know it isn't a drug to just stop cold turkey. I just found out tonight, so I will check with my doctor. The name brand drug was on the gluten free list (estrace). The other was a steroid cream that works great for itching, but they can't guarantee it being gluten free either. The pharmacist felt that it shouldn't be a problem because I don't ingest it. I use it for the itchy rash, so I'm not sure that it couldn't be a problem. I just want to get this under control. I had so many benefits when I first went gluten free and now I can tell something isn't quite right.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katecopsey Newbie
I've been trying to figure out what I've been missing. I feel that I'm somehow getting gluten. I checked the gluten free drug list again. I had overlooked a couple. One is my estodiol. I asked the pharmacist and she contacted the company and they can't guarantee that it's gluten free. I know it isn't a drug to just stop cold turkey. I just found out tonight, so I will check with my doctor. The name brand drug was on the gluten free list (estrace). The other was a steroid cream that works great for itching, but they can't guarantee it being gluten free either. The pharmacist felt that it shouldn't be a problem because I don't ingest it. I use it for the itchy rash, so I'm not sure that it couldn't be a problem. I just want to get this under control. I had so many benefits when I first went gluten free and now I can tell something isn't quite right.

i am not able to comment on the medical stuff itself, but do not blame everything on gluten. Perhaps the feeling is a reaction to the medical treatment itself. They used to say in England that wine was gluten free but hangovers caused very similar reactions to gluten - so don't blame your hangover on gluten! Talk to the doctor. From what I have read gluten cannot penetrate the skin, but I would avoid topicals that contain gluten anyway if there is a substitute. My take on this is that your body is sick, which is why you are taking medicine, so don't give it doubtful stuff if you can avoid it.

psawyer Proficient

More and more companies are saying, "We can't guarantee it's gluten-free." I have put the key word in bold type. What this typically means is that at least one of the ingredients is obtained from an outside source, and, for legal reasons, they will not accept responsibilty for possible contamination due to an error by a party beyond their control.

"First thing we do, is kill all the lawyers." Shakespeare, Henry VI, Part II

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
"First thing we do, is kill all the lawyers." Shakespeare, Henry VI, Part II

Everyone love's that quote, but if you read it in context, it's in favor of lawyers. In the play, there is a plot to create a revolution. To do so, the perpetuator "Dick The Butcher" suggests killing the lawyers. This act is designed to bring chaos, underscoring the idea that lawyers were seen at that time to be protectors of society and free thought.

See : Open Original Shared Link

"Ironically, the rallying cry of the lawyer bashers has become Shakespeare's quote from Henry VI: "THE FIRST THING WE DO, LET'S KILL ALL THE LAWYERS."

Those who use this phrase pejoratively against lawyers are as miserably misguided about their Shakespeare as they are about the judicial system which they disdain so freely.

Even a cursory reading of the context in which the lawyer killing statement is made in King Henry VI, Part II, (Act IV), Scene 2, reveals that Shakespeare was paying great and deserved homage to our venerable profession as the front line defenders of democracy.

The accolade is spoken by Dick the Butcher, a follower of anarchist Jack Cade, whom Shakespeare depicts as "the head of an army of rabble and a demagogue pandering to the ignorant," who sought to overthrow the government. Shakespeare's acknowledgment that the first thing any potential tyrant must do to eliminate freedom is to "kill all the lawyers" is, indeed, a classic and well-deserved compliment to our distinguished profession."

Not a lawyer, but a shakespeare fan.

Geoff

tarnalberry Community Regular

Estrace is fine. I use it regularly.

Hormone fluctuations can cause intestinal changes, however, so if this is a regular occurrence, perhaps on a monthly schedule, it could be that. (If the use of the Estrace is new, it could also be that.)

wowzer Community Regular

I know that Estrace is gluten free. I am on the generic version estrodiol and when the pharmasist called they couldn't guarantee that it was gluten free. My dose was changed, I wonder if there is a difference in the formulation. I am trying to wean off of it. My doctor suggested taking until like June to do it. I've went 2 days now without taking it. I do have the estrace cream I could use instead. I have had itching in the vaginal area, so haven't wanted to use it.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I know that Estrace is gluten free. I am on the generic version estrodiol and when the pharmasist called they couldn't guarantee that it was gluten free. My dose was changed, I wonder if there is a difference in the formulation. I am trying to wean off of it. My doctor suggested taking until like June to do it. I've went 2 days now without taking it. I do have the estrace cream I could use instead. I have had itching in the vaginal area, so haven't wanted to use it.

Topical application of estrogen should have no affect on a vaginal yeast infection (I've asked this question a number of time ;) ). If the itching is caused by dry skin, however, the estrogen might help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wowzer Community Regular

I was originally prescribed the estrogen cream for that reason. I had 2 biopsies in that area. One came back eczema and the other spongiotic dermatitis. I really wonder if it was DH. Both are a blistery rash. The gluten free diet is a possible answer to any of those. I finally went gluten free the beginning of the year. I have a vast improvement, but still have a slight itch. I really thought this whole mess started as a yeast infection. I bought an over the counter yeast treatment and did find out later it could have contained gluten. I am beginning to think I never had a yeast infection. She even did a culture which came back negative. All I know is I never want to itch like that again. I did have blisters in the creases of my arms and underarms at the same time. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything. I haven't been officially diagnosed with DH. I suppose it is possible that even though I'm not ingesting gluten, it still is in my skin from what I've read on here. I guess because I had so much relief the first few weeks, I was hoping it would keep getting better. It's been over a year since I first started with this.

gfp Enthusiast
Everyone love's that quote, but if you read it in context, it's in favor of lawyers. In the play, there is a plot to create a revolution. To do so, the perpetuator "Dick The Butcher" suggests killing the lawyers. This act is designed to bring chaos, underscoring the idea that lawyers were seen at that time to be protectors of society and free thought.

See : Open Original Shared Link

"Ironically, the rallying cry of the lawyer bashers has become Shakespeare's quote from Henry VI: "THE FIRST THING WE DO, LET'S KILL ALL THE LAWYERS."

Those who use this phrase pejoratively against lawyers are as miserably misguided about their Shakespeare as they are about the judicial system which they disdain so freely.

Even a cursory reading of the context in which the lawyer killing statement is made in King Henry VI, Part II, (Act IV), Scene 2, reveals that Shakespeare was paying great and deserved homage to our venerable profession as the front line defenders of democracy.

The accolade is spoken by Dick the Butcher, a follower of anarchist Jack Cade, whom Shakespeare depicts as "the head of an army of rabble and a demagogue pandering to the ignorant," who sought to overthrow the government. Shakespeare's acknowledgment that the first thing any potential tyrant must do to eliminate freedom is to "kill all the lawyers" is, indeed, a classic and well-deserved compliment to our distinguished profession."

Not a lawyer, but a shakespeare fan.

Geoff

LOL.... Thanks Geoff...(I like dicovering stuff like that and I know something new and interesting today) and lets no forget who wrote your consitution... (both versions ;) )

As an outsider observation, the problem with lawyers in the USA is the justice system though... I doubt you will agree but IMHO lawyers are just allowed by the justice system to make far too much money if that is what they want... and its a rare person that decides to be a lawyer and isn't concerned about money. Its not that lawyers are bad... its just that lawyers wrote the system and its rules and just happen to be the most qualified in how to exploit it! I don't have any better suggestion though... so it just looks like Lawyers need a thick skin :D

The funny thing is in Roman times actors(esses) were regarded on the same level as prostitutes.(legally).. quite a few of them were celebrated and made a decent wage for a non equistrian class... and even some of the equistrian staff were entranced by the "candlelight" (for want of limelight) yet today ....!!!

Archived