Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzie_GFfamily

Tomato Sauce Recipe For gluten-free Pasta Shapes

I have found some fun pasta shapes made by Tinkyada. I'd like to be able to make something that would be similar to Alphaghetti for my kids, but I don't know what to use for the sauce.

A regular pasta sauce seems to have a stronger flavour than the kid-friendly version we used to buy before going gluten-free and ketchup alone isn't quite right either. Has anyone been able to make a sauce that is similar to the commercially available product? (either alphaghetti, or franco american spaghetti, etc.)

Suzie

Suzie

London, ON, Canada

celiac disease diagnosed by pos tTG March 2006 and pos biopsy June 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Suzie:

I don't know if this will work:

Plain pasta sauce and cut it with some chicken broth, add a little milk or cream (don't boil after the milk). This might lighten up the flavor for you children.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I have found some fun pasta shapes made by Tinkyada. I'd like to be able to make something that would be similar to Alphaghetti for my kids, but I don't know what to use for the sauce.

A regular pasta sauce seems to have a stronger flavour than the kid-friendly version we used to buy before going gluten-free and ketchup alone isn't quite right either. Has anyone been able to make a sauce that is similar to the commercially available product? (either alphaghetti, or franco american spaghetti, etc.)

Suzie

!! YES - here's the secret (drumroll....): condensed tomato soup. Not being celiac myself, I used to always use Campbell's when I need to reproduce that not-quite-pasta-sauce/not-quite-ketchup flavored sauce (btw, it works great with indian food) - but now that I have my celiac son Izak, I've switched to Amy's brand, which is really good. You may want to throw in part of a small can of tomato paste too, depending on how thick you want it. But that flavor you're looking for is condensed tomato soup. Don't add any water - just use it straight. Let me know how it turns out!

-E

DS1&only(so far!): born 7/12/05 * chronic diarrhea from age 5 mos. * WF/gluten-free from age 9 mos. * NO MORE LOOSE POOP!

10/19/2006 Tested positive for DQ2 Heterodimer (HLA DQA1*05/DQB1*02) and negative for HLA DQ8. Have followup appt. with ped. GI in December!

Update: Told GI I was unwilling to do serum tests (give him gluten). GI said if what I was doing works, then keep on keepin' on! Happy, healthy & nearly two now! Occasional rash & loose poop from drinking bathwater, so switching to all gluten-free beauty/personal products.

You guys are great! Thanks for the suggestions.

I never would have thought about consensed soup. I'll have to see if that gluten-free brand is available. We haven't bought tomato soup since we went gluten-free. Can't wait to give it a try!

Suzie

London, ON, Canada

celiac disease diagnosed by pos tTG March 2006 and pos biopsy June 2006

I have to second the Amy's soup recomendation. My daughter loves it. I cook the pasta, dump it into a pot with Amy's Creamy Tomato Soup, add a little garlic powder, Italian herbs, and salt and pepper. (Don't really have to add the Italian herbs if you don't want to).

Is this like the Chef Boyardee flavor?

Yes - it's that Spaghetti-O's flavor of kechup-y tomato sauce. Condensed tomato soup. Go figure. ;)

DS1&only(so far!): born 7/12/05 * chronic diarrhea from age 5 mos. * WF/gluten-free from age 9 mos. * NO MORE LOOSE POOP!

10/19/2006 Tested positive for DQ2 Heterodimer (HLA DQA1*05/DQB1*02) and negative for HLA DQ8. Have followup appt. with ped. GI in December!

Update: Told GI I was unwilling to do serum tests (give him gluten). GI said if what I was doing works, then keep on keepin' on! Happy, healthy & nearly two now! Occasional rash & loose poop from drinking bathwater, so switching to all gluten-free beauty/personal products.

Plain canned tomato sauce works pretty well, too--it seems milder and not as acidic as pasta sauce (like there's a difference between "pasta sauce" and "tomato sauce?"). It's also MUCH cheaper than Amy's. And I usually do add a bit of cream, too, but I bet a little cornstarch or rice flour would work...

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bob Loblaw
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)