This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Croissants

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

This is a recipe from a woman named Mirielle on Delphi. I haven't tried it but I have tried some of her other recipes and they're always good. I'm not sure if she is a full time chef or what but she has enough recipes to write 9 cookbooks. LOL!!

Croissants

I tweaked Nancy Baker's Globally Gluten Free Croissant recipe enough that it has became mine. I liked the consistency in the original recipe, but didn't like our flour aftertaste at all. I used sourdough starter, and powdered vanilla to mask it and it works!!!!! I added a few other ingredients as well and modified the instructions the way I have made them.

I now have real jewels indeed that I'm very proud of.

1/2 c. sourdough starter *see recipe: 53946.30

2 tsp yeast granules

2 Tbs sugar

3/4 c. potato starch

1 1/2 c. cornstarch

1 Tbs sweetrice flour

1/3 c. instant dry milk

1/2 tsp vanilla powder (use 1 t. liquid if you dont have the powder form)

1/2 tsp baking soda (rounded)

2 tsp baking powder

2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c. plain yogurt or buttermilk (I used yogurt)

1/4 c. warm milk

1 beaten egg

1/2 c. oil

2 Tsp to 1/4 c. rice flour + some for rolling

1/2 + cup COLD butter, salted

Add sugar and yeast to starter and prepare the rest of the recipe.

Using your KitchenAid bowl, mix well, with a whisk and a large spoon as well: potato starch, cornstarch, sweetrice flour, instant dry milk, vanilla powder, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.

Mix the wet ingredients into a small mixing bowl: yogurt, warm milk, egg, and oil. Add the sourdough mix to dry ingredients, and mix at low a few min. Add the other wet ingredient mix and beat at low a feew min, then at high for 4 min. You need a "doughy dough" but not a crumbly one. Add some rice flour is it is too wet.

Refrigerate.

Beat the butter in between 2 saran wraps with a rolling pin, until you have a 6" x 10" rectangle.

Roll the dough in between 2 saran wraps about 10 x 15". I use a Silpat with a little rice flour sprinkled, with a saran on the top, and it is perfect. Place the butter onto the middle of the dough, the longer side across the 10" side of the dough. Fold the 2 sides of the dough over the butter, like you would fold a business letter.

Be sure no butter pops up. If so, use little pieces of dough and patch.

Roll again to form a 10 x 15" rectangle again, using a little rice flour to be sure it wont stick.

Cover well with a saran.

Refrigerate at least 1 hr or longer according to you conveniency.

Repeat the same operation: fold the dough like a letter way, roll the same size, refrigerate. Do this about 5 times total.

You can then let the dough in the refrigerator all night.

After the last time, roll it out larger. I divide it into 2 parts and roll it out in a rectangle until it is about 3/16" thick (a little less than 1/4").

Cut into 6 smaller rectangles, about 5" x 6", and cut perpendicularly to have 2 triangles each. You'll have 12 croissants total.

Roll each of them, starting at the wide end, and roll them in a way to have the tip end at the middle of the croissant. Put them tip side down in a large cookie sheet, about 2 inch apart, and bring the 2 ends of the croissants towards you to have a croissant shape, and let rise in a warm place until they are about 50% higher. (mine were a little less than 50% higher). Time will vary.

Spritz preheatd 425F oven with water, close the door and place the croissants into it. Close the door, and spritz with water again. Adjust the temp. down to 400F and let bake for about 10 min.

Ajust the temp. down again to 375F and bake them for an other 8 min., until golden brown.

And here is her Sourdough Starter Recipe:

gluten-free simply super sourdough

Yield: 1 Servings

2 c Rice flour

1/2 c Potato starch flour

1/2 c Tapioca flour

1 ts Salt

2 1/2 ts Xanthan gum

1 1/2 ts Egg replacer (optional)

7/8 c Quite warm water

1 ts Vinegar OR

1 1/2 ts dough enhancer

1/4 c Sourdough starter

3/4 c Cottage cheese

4 tb Butter or margarine melted

3 Eggs, beaten slightly

3 tb Sugar

1 tb Dry yeast granules

This recipe requires a heavy-duty bread machine, large enough for 3 cups of flour. For the lactose intolerant change cottage cheese to nondairy sour cream. Reduce water to 3/4 cup. Mix together flours, salt, xanthan gum, and Egg Replacer (if used). Mix together the water, vinegar, sourdough starter, cottage cheese, butter and eggs. Measure sugar and yeast. Place the ingredients in the baking pan of the bread maker in the order suggested by your manual. Bake on regular bread setting on medium heat. Open Original Shared Link

*Sourdough Starter: 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast granules

1 cup lukewarm water w/1 stp instant potato flakes

1 tsp sugar

1 c. white rice flour

In a 1 or 1 1/2 qt jar or pottery crock, dissolve yeast in the potato water. Stir in the sugar & rice flour. Cover & let the jar sit out until fermented (1-3 days), stirring every few hrs at first. The mixture will bubble up and ferment and then, die down with a skim of liquid on the top.

Be sure to stir well before using. The consistency should be about that of pancake batter.

Replenish after use by feeding the remaining starter with 1/2 c. (or 1 cup) of lukewarm water and 3/4 c. (or 1 1/2 c.) rice flour, as nnede each time you bake.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gwendolene Rookie

Sweet!!!! Thanks!!

Do you know if there is a way to make this work dairy-free or would that be pushing the envelope a little too far? :blink:

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

Jillian- thank you sooooooooo much.

I'm still giddy. I thought I'd never eat a croissant again, and now it's POSSIBLE. This is so neat.

The recipe looks a bit intimidating- I think I'll have to work up to it. Might try making sourdough starter first and use it for bread. I've never done that before.

But I can go to sleep tonight and dream about croissants.... sweet dreams.

Suzie

Archived