Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cycler

Just On The News - Wheat Gluten The Cause Of The "bad" Pet Food

It was just on the news in NY that wheat gluten appears to be the cauce of animals dying from "bad" pet food.

I'm not sure how or why the gluten was poison for the animals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It was just on the news in NY that wheat gluten appears to be the cauce of animals dying from "bad" pet food.

cycler,

Either you've been in a coma or yall get your news slow up there in New York. I posted this Friday night (5 days ago), when the recall was first announced. They knew about the contaminated wheat gluten then.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

There are alot of board members here who have found their pets health has been better by giving them gluten free pet food.

this pet food thing has been going on for a few days now.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

there are times I am so busy that I don't get to listen or watch the news for a few days. so I can understand Larry's delay in getting this information. For instance, I cannot watch newscasts before I go to bed as I'll have nightmares. Been like that for years.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

there are times I am so busy that I don't get to listen or watch the news for a few days. so I can understand Larry's delay in getting this information. For instance, I cannot watch newscasts before I go to bed as I'll have nightmares. Been like that for years.

Deb,

Yeah, I should'nt be so surprised that some people don't know what's going on. My wife doesn't read the paper or watch the news (she watches reruns of SUV type crime shows). She listens to music in the car. So the only news she gets are brief items on the radio (which being southern country music stations are probably conservative leaning).

I read the entire newspaper every day, watch news in the morning, at lunch, and at night (local, national, and cable), and listen to AM radio where there is much more news (and talking about current events) than FM. Plus, I'm on here at least an hour every day learning from you guys (and girls). I may not be very smart but by God I know what's going on.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

There have been at least two other threads on this topic.

I own a pet food store, so I am very aware of the issue. The concern is that a supplier provided contaminated wheat gluten to Menu Foods, who manufactured it into "cuts and gravy" style wet food at two plants in the US. The majority of the suspect food was made at their plant in Emporia, Kansas.

While the board members concerns about wheat in animal food are valid, there is no suggestion in this case that it was gluten that caused the renal disease and failure. It is suspected that the gluten was contaminated with a poisonous heavy metal such as lead or cadmium. The investigation is ongoing.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I keep checking the food lists just in case they add new brands. I think all of them have been listed, but I am still not feeding my dogs and cats canned until I know it's safe. I have a 16 year old Peke who is having trouble chewing the dry right now. I am using the puppy's (5 Months old) dry for her right now and giving her people food to suppliment.

I was thinking about going gluten free for them. I am presently using IAMS. What brands do you suggest? My husband usually feeds them and has not had any problems yet. I told him I would feed them from now on. I never associated animal food with gluten until reading about it here.

:o I was shocked to hear about the rat poison. Just glad they have a cause and can straighten it out. My heart goes out to anyone who has a pet sickened from this terrible thing.

=^..^= Debbie

I keep checking the food lists just in case they add new brands. I think all of them have been listed, but I am still not feeding my dogs and cats canned until I know it's safe. I have a 16 year old Peke who is having trouble chewing the dry right now. I am using the puppy's (5 Months old) dry for her right now and giving her people food to suppliment.

I was thinking about going gluten free for them. I am presently using IAMS. What brands do you suggest? My husband usually feeds them and has not had any problems yet. I told him I would feed them from now on. I never associated animal food with gluten until reading about it here.

:o I was shocked to hear about the rat poison. Just glad they have a cause and can straighten it out. My heart goes out to anyone who has a pet sickened from this terrible thing.

Try to moisten the dry food with warm water or and egg. It would make it easier to chew.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Hate to bring in Politics, but not the biggest fan of IAMs right now.

http://www.peta.com/feat-iams.asp

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

My latest update, as an industry insider (I own a pet food and supply store) is posted here.

It is not the wheat, but a toxic substance which may have contaminated the wheat.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Deb,

Yeah, I should'nt be so surprised that some people don't know what's going on. My wife doesn't read the paper or watch the news (she watches reruns of SUV type crime shows). She listens to music in the car. So the only news she gets are brief items on the radio (which being southern country music stations are probably conservative leaning).

I read the entire newspaper every day, watch news in the morning, at lunch, and at night (local, national, and cable), and listen to AM radio where there is much more news (and talking about current events) than FM. Plus, I'm on here at least an hour every day learning from you guys (and girls). I may not be very smart but by God I know what's going on.

best regards, lm

(I originally meant that if cycler is probably as busy as I am he/she probably doesn't get to know the news as fast as others do).

That's a full day for you Larry to read entire newspaper a day and watch TV so frequently. I keep AM station on a work but I am on the phone working too much to listen to it intently enough to be kept up to date. It's great that you can keep on top like this so you can certainly, on a daily basis, perhaps keep a thread like this going which will provide us with what's going on.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    PSHadle
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)