Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hannahsue01

What Symptoms Does Your Child Have When Glutened?

My daughter was never officialy diagnosed and had the full blood tests wich came back neg. She is five and had constipation, mood problems, always had a stomach ache, always hungry sneaking food, is only in the 5%, and so on. We put her on a gluten-free diet ourselves and saw improvment with everything except growth. When she would get glutened she would throw up. We just tested her with some cookies while she was off school this week without her knowing. She complained of a stomach ache and a bad headache wich she kept saying was getting worse throughout the day. She woke up this morning with quite a few mouth blisters. I was wondering if this is typical? I am still argueing with a few of our friends and family who says she doesn't have it and that they can grow out of it.....errr. I guess maybe I need some reasurance that I am on the right track with her....and if you think not let me know.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think you have found your answer. I have heard of ppl getting mouth blisters when they have gluten. My dd gets a bad stomach ache when she gets glutened. ANd my mom gets headaches when she gets glutened.

Just ignore what others say and keep her on the diet. The improvement on the diet is a test by itself, and it came out positive. So you can tell ppl that she has celiac disease, or at least a gluten intolerance. You are her parent, so you get to decide what she eats, anyway.

Good Luck!

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

I agree! When glutened...Our daughter gets headache, stomach ache, leg cramps, extremely moody, complains about everything, D (sometimes), dry sticky eyes, it is a nightmare....so anyway I think this disease can bring on all sorts of symptoms. Trust your instinct and don't let people break you down. You know your childs behavior better than anyone else. It cannot hurt her to be gluten free!

Best of luck

Cali

Cali

Here to support and cook for:

Jared (Husband with Celiac.) diagnosed and gluten free since Nov.2005

Abby ( 6 yrs old) diagnosed with celiac and gluten free since Nov.2005

Griffin (4 yrs old) not diagnosed but gluten free since Nov. 2005

My daughter gets clammy, sweaty, tired and vommits for a few hours. She also get really irritable for a few days after. Her legs get sore

Natalie

Endoscopy May 23,2007 - positive

Entrolab Dec 2006:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 209 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 35 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 371 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow

My kids symptoms are all over the map with gluten. They can get a stomachache (older 2-no idea on the baby), headache (DD9), flushed cheeks (all 3), insane hunger (DD4), very tired (DD1) and become generally cranky, mean, angry kids.

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

I was thinking of posting this same question earlier today. Both of my children have been diagnosed with celiac disease through biopsy and we are very strict with their diet. I have recently started eating Gluten Free as well. I do not have any glaring symptoms but it doesn't hurt to eat the same way they do. Anyhow, we went to a birthday party for my niece on Saturday and my sister specifically prepared a gluten-free menu for myself, my kids and her (she is gluten-free as well). That night I had a migraine and the next morning my daughter (4) woke up not feeling well and had a slight fever of about 100.4 and then today my son (20 months) had a fever of 101.3 and was very clammy, sweating and I could tell just not feeling well. I hate to blame it on the food at the party, but I think it is ironic that the three of us all eat gluten-free and in the next two days were all feeling ill and my husband is fine.

My question is this....do any of your kids get a slight fever when they have been glutened?

Thanks!!!

My son gets overwhelmingly cross; everything upsets him... we can always tell when he has had some form of cross contamination because he will come in to a room and if someone even says hello, he is grumpy and crying... banging things around the place, generally a nightmare. He will also complain of stomach ache but it is never generalised... kind of all over so I think (as he is only 5) that he just cant voice exactly whats wrong - that he feels horrible all over. Thats my reading of it but boy does he get mean and cranky!!! We try to avoid cross contamination at all costs!!!

By the way I have read in tonnes of places on this board and on other sites that children (and adults) with celiac suffer from canker sores (or blisters) in the mouth... so sounds definite to me.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)