Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlieswpa

Tip For Making Good Gravy

Take your meat,chicken,turkey,pork etc.. out of your roasting pan after it's been cooked.

With a spatula or wooded spoon go around the pan and make sure nothing is sticking.

Now to make the gravy.. get a quart jar with a lid and ad a cup of instant potatoes,1/4 cup of rice flour and ad enough water to fill 3/4's of the way to the top.Put lid on jar and shake till it is dissolved.Slowing pour into roasting pan while stirring till it thickens.If it's too thick ad more water till you get the consistency you want then ad salt and pepper.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Looks good. Thanks for sharing your method.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

I would never have thought to use potato flakes in gravy. It does look good--thanks :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Anyone else have an easy way to make gravy, or does anyone know of a gluten and casein free gravy, I really want gravy with my easter dinner on sunday. So if i need to order any, I have to order it ASAP lol

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Anyone else have an easy way to make gravy, or does anyone know of a gluten and casein free gravy, I really want gravy with my easter dinner on sunday. So if i need to order any, I have to order it ASAP lol

paula

Hey Paula,

First off, what kind do you want to make?

I've only made gluten-free gravy a few times, the brown non-cream type (actually it was brown because it was beef or pork roast gravy and I use a lot of seasonings on my meat).

Here's how I used to make it. I would start with a package gravy added to my drippings and water (or chicken broth if I needed to make a bigger batch). The package gravy allowed me to add more water and make more gravy, but I made sure it was a relatively small part of the flavor. Once that looked done, I would add corn starch (mixed in water of course). Then if it didn't hurt to be any darker I would add a little Kitchen Bouquet (the browning & seasoning sauce for meat, gravy & stew) to ramp up and round out the flavor. So, I make a flour and corn starch gravy, getting the properties of both.

Now, here's how I do it. I start with a small amount of flour in leu of the package mix, added to my drippings & some water or chicken broth (you want to pre-mix it with water first just like you would package mix or corn starch). I use amaranth flour, just a little or it will add too much flavor. You can use other flours but I haven't tried that.

Once that looks done, I mostly just use the starch flours just like I would have before. Of course before I only used corn starch as I had never even heard of the others. Now I use corn starch and tapioca starch. As you may know, corn starch will become thin after refridgeration. Adding Tapioca starch flour rectifies that problem.

What I would recommend since this is an important dinner, is practicing with chicken/turkey or beef broth first. See how that goes. Wouldn't cost anything and you need to be ready when the time comes. You'll only have one shot with the actual drippings on Easter.

There's an excellant Thickener guide describing all the flours & starches in detail in "The Best Gluten-Free Family Cookbook" by Donna Washburn & Heather Butt. It's very useful.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

paula

Gravy is easy to make. Depending on what kind, you can use cornstarch, arrowroot starch, sweet white rice flour, or a few other things as the thickener.

What stock (if any) are you starting with?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

one of my friends is a French chef and he gave me some good tips

The best gravy in my opinion is using ox tail bones or chicken feet - I know this sounds terrible, but it is so tastey and VERY healthy - loads of gelatine....a natural thickener. So, put the ox tail in a pot with water, add onions, parsely, chives, carrots, salt, bay leaves, pepper and some white wine. Cook for on hour or so, then sieve it all through a strainer. I freeze portions in small tupperwares and take them out when needed. Makes fantastic gravies.

If you want to thicken it even more, just ad some cream or corn flour....bon apetit!

one of my friends is a French chef and he gave me some good tips

The best gravy in my opinion is using ox tail bones or chicken feet - I know this sounds terrible, but it is so tastey and VERY healthy - loads of gelatine....a natural thickener. So, put the ox tail in a pot with water, add onions, parsely, chives, carrots, salt, bay leaves, pepper and some white wine. Cook for on hour or so, then sieve it all through a strainer. I freeze portions in small tupperwares and take them out when needed. Makes fantastic gravies.

If you want to thicken it even more, just ad some cream or corn flour....bon apetit!

alison h,

Chicken feet gelatine - yum! If you can get fresh chicken feet all the better. Helps out the farmer too, keeps the chickens from running around after he cuts off their heads.

I can't wait for the Easter Day dinner conversation. "This gravy is delicious, I've got to get the recipe". "It's nothing really, just your normal OX Tail & Chicken Feet Gravy"!

No seriously, I'm going to try it. Thank you.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Thanks for all your tips.

Now to figure out what meat to have, i know most hams are not glutten free, and im not much of an turkey eater, so maybe we will do prime rib roast, i think i can make good gravy from that lol. If not we will bbq steak for easter lol

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Now to figure out what meat to have...

How 'bout some nice fried rabbit? :lol: Should go over well with kids.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Gravy is easy to make......

Yes RiceGuy, I would agree with you on that (though I do tend to make a big production of it).

Something else we could probably agree is easy to make, Campbell's canned tomato soup. Yet two people have called me to ask how to make it. One of my daughters, and my stepson. They had never made it when living at home, I always did I guess. Then when they moved away, they discovered many things they had taken for granted.

Perhaps the choice of water or milk was just too much. Or, maybe they just wanted to make it like I made it (half water/half milk). Who knows.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    SDBella
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):