Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cassidy

Chocolate Frosting Pre-made Or Recipe

Guest cassidy

I am making myself a cake for my baby shower on Saturday. I can't believe it is harder to find pre-made frosting than cake. What is gluten doing in frosting anyway? I bought a Gluten Free Pantry white cake mix. I tried their coffee cake mix last weekend because I wanted to try baking something before this cake. I loved it but my husband said it tasted like playdoh. Since I haven't had anything like cake in well over a year, I was very happy with it.

So, now I need a recipe for chocolate frosting. Is there anything that tastes like Duncan Hines? I'm not missing a pre-made gluten-free frosting am I? I looked in the health food store and the only thing I saw was Dr. Oekter's. I looked up their website and it wasn't very user friendly. I wasn't able to determine if their stuff is gluten-free or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Dunacn-Hines chocolate frosting has milk and soy listed. I love it and always have a frosted cake around. It is my self pity food. Feeling down-----eat cake!

Dx celiac sprue 06-06-06

Prometheus Labs in California, blood work

AGA IgG=negative AGA IgA=negative

TTG IgA=positive EMA IgA=positive

Endoscopy shows moderate to severe villa blunting

severe asthma, COPD

right Bundle Branch Block (heart conduction)

short PR interval (heart)

Arnold Chiari Malformation

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Fibromyalgia, Myofascial pain syndrome

GERD

Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis

Severe claustrophobia

Gallbladder removed

When someone you love becomes a memory,

that memory becomes a treasure.

Frosting is very easy to make, so you could do that if the pre-made stuff is questionable, or contains other things besides gluten which you can't ingest.

Here's a link to some recipes you might find useful:

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=53

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Betty Crocker let me down when I saw wheat in the frosting... why does it need wheat??? I bought Duncan Hines buttercream and it was very good. I've also bought Trader Joe's choclate frosting - very fudgy, very good! :rolleyes:

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

I'm thrilled to hear that D.H. frosting is gluten free! I've always used their brand of frosting. I bought a powdered frosting mix from Wild Oats, but have not tried it yet. It's made by Cherrybrook Kitchen and says gluten and wheat free right on the front of the box. Frosting is not hard to make if you want to make it yourself. There's tons of recipes out there, and none call for flour--that I know of.

Congradulations on your baby, and have a great baby shower!

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Cassidy,

The Target near me carries Cherrybrook farms.

I always just make my own frosting--I like the way it tastes. I use the basic recipe on the Domino's 10x Sugar box, adding Nestle's Pure Cocoa Powder if I want chocolate.

I hope you have a wonderful shower! Enjoy :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest cassidy

I read the Duncan Hines was no longer gluten-free. I googled it and came up with this article from Clan Thompson:

Duncan Hines told me today (January 24, 2007) that they no longer consider any of their frostings to be gluten free because they are manufactured in a facility that shares lines with gluten containing products. Also, they would give no information about specific flavors of their frosting when I spoke with them on the phone. They just emphasize that no matter what the ingredient panel says, none of the frostings are gluten free.Food SmartList subscribers should note this change.

All the Betty Crocker ones I found had wheat. I was surprised that there aren't store brand frostings or other companies that make it.

I always make my own--homemade frosting tastes SO much better than storebought, storebought has a slight rancid shortening aftertaste to it.

It's so easy, too--butter, powdered sugar, a little milk or cream, and whatever flavor you like (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, etc.) If you want chocolate, first add cocoa powder to the powdered sugar. You can also use a bit of cream cheese or sour cream fro a slightly different taste/texture. All the powdered sugar bags/boxes have recipes that are excellent.

It takes about 6 minutes total to make frosting, and that includes getting everything you need out of the cabinets!

Pillsbury has frostings that are gluten free. But I believe only their Creamy varieties; not the Whipped ones.

Last time I checked, Duncan Hines had added malt to their frostings. So it won't list wheat as one of the allergens, but malt is not gluten free.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Here is a great chocolate frosting recipe from the back of a Bob's Red Mill Brownie Mix bag:

1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

1 1/2 t. gluten-free vanilla

12 oz. chocolate chips (Nestles are gluten-free)

When your brownies or cake are nearly done, combine all topping ingredients in heavy saucepan over low heat until chocolate pieces are melted. Remove from heat. Spread mixture over warm brownies and allow to cool and cut. I add McCormick's mint extract to the frosting mix as we love mint chocolate around here. I am going to make these for our family for a party this weekend. I really love the Bob's Red Mill products. I use the all purpose flour, the bread mix and the brownie mix so far. This is a real intense frosting, kind of like candy.

Here is a great chocolate frosting recipe from the back of a Bob's Red Mill Brownie Mix bag:

When your brownies or cake are nearly done, combine all topping ingredients in heavy saucepan over low heat until chocolate pieces are melted. Remove from heat. Spread mixture over warm brownies and allow to cool and cut. I add McCormick's mint extract to the frosting mix as we love mint chocolate around here. I am going to make these for our family for a party this weekend. I really love the Bob's Red Mill products. I use the all purpose flour, the bread mix and the brownie mix so far. This is a real intense frosting, kind of like candy.

Oh, wow, that looks AMAZING (drool drool)!!!! :blink:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVERYONE>>>It's my son's birthday today and I was determined to make a good gluten-free birthday cake as I've been gluten-free for about a month and everyone has been working very hard to change our home. I didn't think it would taste as good as his past bday cakes...BOY WAS I WRONG!

I started with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix and because I wanted to make sure it was really chocolaty I added 1.5 cups of dark choc chips (make sure they are gluten-free).

Then came the what do i use for frosting question...I checked this site and found the recipe above.

All easy to do...I just tasted some crumbs from the pan with the frosting...OMGoodness...this may be the most delicious/rich choc cake I've ever made.

I know it's been a couple years since this was posted, but thank you!

Ok...gotta dash back to work...played hookie to frost the cake!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Why is it harder to find frosting than cake?

Because not all cakes are frosted :):P

Gottaski: so glad your boy's bday cake turned out so yummy. He will luv it. What a good mum.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

In Canada, the Walmart Great Value brand icings look to be gluten free. My daughter hasn't had any issues when I use these.

DD diagnosed Celiac by biopsy May 2008 at 7 years old.

DD diagnosed with Asthma November 2009 at 8 years old.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AshokPrajapat
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)