Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elye

Intolerance Or Allergy?

I was talking to a lady today, and the topic of food came up. I mentioned that I am celiac, and she then told me that she is also limited in her diet because she is allergic to wheat. She was diagnosed by a naturopath after having GI issues (cramps, bloating, D) just like us. I said that this sounded more like an autoimmune reaction than an allergic one, but she said things are much better after going wheat-free. Now, I'm confused. Allergies cause a release of histamines, not antibodies, right? So the symptoms of an allergic reaction would be different, I thought, than that of gluten intolerance. Why would a wheat allergy cause distress in the lower intestine? What exactly do histamines do, besides stuff us up, make our eyes water and itch or, worst of all, cause anaphylaxis?

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

AFAIK you're right. But I've heard another naturopath refer to intolerances as allergies. Maybe it's just there way of looking at them. Both mean you need to avoid the substance.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

:blink: I can kind of understand what she is talking about as im in the same boat, my blood test for IgA was neg for celiac, but if i eat anything with wheat, oats, barley, etc i get bloating, D, tired, cranky, sore stomach, sore joints and swelling in the joints, however i also get hives head to toes, as well as swollen and blistered and hives on the palms of my hands and the bottoms of my feet and ankles (it itches like crazy). im thinking that their is another allergy im missing still so ive ordered a test kit from enterolab to see, but ive been told that you can have allergies to wheat and other grains and not have a problem with gluten, however ive been recomended to follow a celiac diet if it makes me feel better and my symptoms go away.

Nadine

mom of 4 great kids - 2 diagnosed with autism and 2 typical kids (thank goodness)

all this started after my hysterectomy in March of 2006

G.F. since Feb 2007

Soy free since April 2007

Blood work was negatvie (after 2 weeks of being on the gluten-free diet)

entrolab results:

Antigliadin 9 (normal <10)

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 - 0302

HLA-DQB2 Allele 2 - 0502

HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 8,5)

carrying one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene

nurse at entrolab figures i caught this early and dont eat gluten anymore

life is like a box of chocolates;sometimes you get stuck with the yukky coconut fillet one

:blink: I can kind of understand what she is talking about as im in the same boat, my blood test for IgA was neg for celiac, but if i eat anything with wheat, oats, barley, etc i get bloating, D, tired, cranky, sore stomach, sore joints and swelling in the joints, however i also get hives head to toes, as well as swollen and blistered and hives on the palms of my hands and the bottoms of my feet and ankles (it itches like crazy). im thinking that their is another allergy im missing still so ive ordered a test kit from enterolab to see, but ive been told that you can have allergies to wheat and other grains and not have a problem with gluten, however ive been recomended to follow a celiac diet if it makes me feel better and my symptoms go away.

Jeez, what do I know, but I would have guessed that you likely had a false negative for celiac, as we know how common that can be. Curiouser and curiouser...

I am often asked what the difference is between gluten/wheat allergy and gluten intolerance. By the sounds of things, I had the difference correct (histamines vs. antibodies) but the symptoms can be the same. Confusing... :huh:

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Jeez, what do I know, but I would have guessed that you likely had a false negative for celiac, as we know how common that can be. Curiouser and curiouser...

I am often asked what the difference is between gluten/wheat allergy and gluten intolerance. By the sounds of things, I had the difference correct (histamines vs. antibodies) but the symptoms can be the same. Confusing... :huh:

Emily:

This may sound very sophomoric, but I have always heard that an allergy can create the same symptoms, but not cause the villi damage. And an intolerance will kick off the autoimmune reaction that will cause the villi damage.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Hi,

Immune system very complex. The classic allergy is the IGE mediated one (itching, sneezing, hives, etc). This is the histamine one. Then there is also IGG, IGA (would have to read up to explain, maybe later) - which can result in a delayed reactions. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could give some more info.

Regardless if is allergy or intollerance still need to avoid the culprit. Allergy though can be immediately life threatening if anaphalactic type (cf. peanut allergy / beesting allergy) whereas intollerance may have slower impact.

Sally

Emily:

This may sound very sophomoric, but I have always heard that an allergy can create the same symptoms, but not cause the villi damage. And an intolerance will kick off the autoimmune reaction that will cause the villi damage.

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)