This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's Celiac!

Guest cd&dhspruehead

Guest cd&dhspruehead

Exsplaining celiac to others is like talking to a wall.If doctors don't get it ,why would the general public.Wheat is only one of the things we are allergic to.It comes in so many forms.''Wheat allergy''makes it all seem tame.No one can grow out fo Celiac.its there for life.Look at foodallergybuddy.com for example.Thay have down lodeable food allergy cards.Whats there to ceck off under the wheat calum.Every thing but barley,rye,oats,ext.

There has got to be a way to shake up everyones way of thinking.Tv,radio comercels,newspaper ads,something.T-shirts are ok,bumper stickers yah,but do you pay any attention when your busy doing other things.Coeliac uk is five years ahead of us here in the US.YOU CAN'T BREATH WHEAT IN TO YOU BODY,BE AROUND A WHEAT MILL,OR USE IT.All will couse a reatsion.

It hi time people get the message that this is CELIAC not ''wheat allergy''.

:angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

While I get your point, some people still aren't up to speed on allergy. And some people treat allergy with more respect than intolerance. (Celiacs, even a bad case, is not at all likely to have you dead 30 minutes after a small exposure. Anaphylactic allergies are. So, people assume if it won't kill you right away, it's not awful if you get a bit.) Definitely more education is needed, and for those of us willing to answer the questions and take the odd looks, starting by saying "I'm gluten intolerant; eating wheat, barley, rye, or oats will make me very sick." is a good start.

jendenise Rookie

Although you all may not agree wth my way of getting the seriousness across I like it: I let my food servers, cooks, etc know that I have Celiac Disease and that it is a SEVERE intollerance to wheat, gluten, barley, and oats, and that even cross contamination can harm me. Then I ask them if they know what Celiac Disease is and if they understand it, if they do I leave it at that. However, if they don't I simply let them know that even the smallest amount of the ingredients I listed can kill me or make me violently ill very quickly, and that I would prefer my meals w/o garnish and everything served seperately and to please cross reference any "iffy" ingredients with my Celiac card. As far as the general public goes, all my friends, family and doctors are knowledgeable about it, and I'm always informing people about it when I can find a discussion starter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cd&dhspruehead

Doctors are not up to speed on CDd or DH.Its a food allergy to them.Meds have ''W''.Liqued & or pill.Its up to us to get the phormest to look it up if thay ever have the time.

Guest PastorDave

Hi! I'm PastorDave's wife. I love the way he tells people about his wheat "intolerence." He says, "well, it won't kill me at once, it will just kill me very slowly and painfully!" They get the idea!!!

Archived