Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest BornToRide

Is Barley Grass A No-no?

Guest BornToRide

I have a Ultra Juice Green supplement that contains barley grass. Is that also a no-no for gluten intolerant folks?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know, Barlean's greens is gluten-free and it has barley leaf (as well as oat and rye leaf)...

I don't know how leaves are different from grasses, if they are at all :lol:

- Lauren

I don't know, Barlean's greens is gluten-free and it has barley leaf (as well as oat and rye leaf)...

I don't know how leaves are different from grasses, if they are at all :lol:

- Lauren

Most of them do claim to be gluten-free. I have a product that has some variation of barley in it that also claims to be gluten-free ... my digestive system has a different opinion though. ;)

Technically speaking, if they perfectly harvested the grass, it shouldn't have the grain ... I think that's why they claim to be gluten-free.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I am using a gluten-free barley grass and I don't see any problems or negative simptoms. I think they harvest the young barley grass before it makes the seed but I'm not sure. ??? Before I went gluten-free or ever heard of Celiac, I switched around between different brands and settled on this one that is... you guessed it... gluten-free. I liked it because I felt it worked better. :blink: I should have guessed it earlier. :rolleyes:

Gluten intolerant - self diagnosed 2007 (not willing to do gluten challenge) and anemic

no dairy, soy, legumes, eggs, sugar, chocolate

no baked and processed foods (also gluten-free bakery) and high GI (due to hypoglycemia)

enjoy brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa and polenta instead

neurological symptoms flare up when glutened and in times of stress

following paleo diet, lots of raw fruit and veg, omega 3 oils, nuts

I feel heathy and able to function for the first time in my life. Thank God.

Organic food gives a great advantage.

Kefir rules!

On a mission to get rid of Candida overgrowth after a stressful event dropped my immune system. On a strict anti-candida diet using herbs and natural remedies. No meds or drugs to make it worse thanks.

http://www.gilbertssyndrome.com/candida.php

http://www.candidasupport.org/candida.html

The first few years that I was gluten free, I didn't react to barley, yet that does not mean you are not damaging yourself inside.

I found this out quite by accident. Quaker has a ricecake called Crackerjack, they actually have 2 different varieties of Crackerjack and I didn't know it. I loved them and was telling my sister about them--she warned me to be very careful because one brand had barley. That's when I read the ingredients and had been eating the wrong one for 2 weeks with no reaction. Now, I do react to barley, yet then I didn't.

I feel we should stay away from barley and wheat grasses!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    luvbaggio
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)