Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amclemons

Annie's Gluten-free Macaroni And Cheese

Just wanted to let everyone (who did not already), that I bought my 2 1/2 year old daughter some

Annie's Homegrown Natural GLUTEN-FREE macaroni and cheese the other day, and she was so

excited to be able to eat orange mac and cheese like her sisters, only to read the ingredients and find WHEY!

I contacted them and they e-mailed me that just the past a is gluten-free not the cheese.

My question? Why would you buy mac and cheese if you are not goin g to use the cheese? You can make your own rice pasta anytime.

Just a warning for anyone who is as new to this as I am .

How disappointing to find a product that calls itself gluten-free and is not, I am so glad I found this forum and learned to ALWAYS read the full ingredients!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They responded saying their cheese is not gluten-free? Whey would make it not dair/casein free but it should be gluten-free. How interesting. Ar eyou sure that's what they said, not gluten-free?

dairy/casein free is one thing, gluten free is another... if the package says gluten free, it darn well better be gluten free, the cheese packet does contain casein which is a dairy protein, and that is what whey is... dairy. There is a product out there if you are avoiding BOTH gluten and casein called Roads End Macaroni and Chreese... it is a vegan product and contains no dairy whatsoever. They make several varieties and only one is gluten free, so make sure you find the gluten free version. Taste? pretty ucky in my opinion, but hey, you could probably season it up to make it palatable.

Whey is gluten-free. It should be fine.

- Lauren

Whey is gluten-free? We only found out my daughter had celiac a few months ago, so I am still learing what is what...but her doctor's told me she could not eat whey because that would mean gluten.

I have been checking everything for whey, is that not right??? PLEASE help! And thanks!

Whey is gluten-free? We only found out my daughter had celiac a few months ago, so I am still learing what is what...but her doctor's told me she could not eat whey because that would mean gluten.

I have been checking everything for whey, is that not right??? PLEASE help! And thanks!

Whey has nothing to do with gluten and everything to do with dairy. As far as the gluten free diet is concerned, whey is fine. Here is a definition for you, hope it helps to clear things up :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Whey or milk plasma is the liquid remaining after milk has been curdled and strained; it is a by-product of the manufacture of cheese or casein and has several commercial uses. Whey is used to produce ricotta and gjetost cheeses and many other products for human consumption. It is also an additive in many processed foods, including breads, crackers and commercial pastry, and an animal feed. Whey proteins primarily consist of α-lactalbumin and β-lactoglobulin. Depending on the method of manufacture, whey may also contain glycomacropeptides (GMP).

The whey protein separated from this mixture is often sold as a nutritional supplement. Such supplements are especially popular in the sport of bodybuilding. Liquid whey contains lactose, vitamins, and minerals along with traces of fat. Researchers at Lund University in Sweden discovered that whey appears to stimulate insulin release. Writing in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition [1] they also discovered that whey supplements can help regulate and reduce spikes in blood sugar levels among people with type 2 diabetes by increasing Insulin secretion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bob Loblaw
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics