This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

1st Party Invite For Celiac 3 Yr Old

JennyC

JennyC Enthusiast

We got a one week notice of a double birthday party this weekend. The first half is at a bounce around place and the second half is at a pizza place. My original plan was to go to the first half, and then go home as the others leave to go to the pizza party. I started thinking that there would probably lots of talk of the pizza place at the party and the 1st half of the party will most likely end by someone yelling "Let's go to the pizza place now!" I don't know what I should do! I don't want to isolate my son. I already have frozen cupcakes for unexpected parties, but I don't have any tasty pizza crust recipes. (So far all my attempts at pizza have not been very good.)

I read the the Americans with Disabilities Act applies to Celiacs, so they can bring their own food if the establishment doesn't provide a reasonable gluten-free menu. Any input?

Does anyone have a pizza recipe that is actually good, so my son will be happy with his "special pizza"? (I know good recipes have to be out there!)

Should I go in the first place? I think that I probably should. I just don't want him to feel bad. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confused Community Regular
We got a one week notice of a double birthday party this weekend. The first half is at a bounce around place and the second half is at a pizza place. My original plan was to go to the first half, and then go home as the others leave to go to the pizza party. I started thinking that there would probably lots of talk of the pizza place at the party and the 1st half of the party will most likely end by someone yelling "Let's go to the pizza place now!" I don't know what I should do! I don't want to isolate my son. I already have frozen cupcakes for unexpected parties, but I don't have any tasty pizza crust recipes. (So far all my attempts at pizza have not been very good.)

I read the the Americans with Disabilities Act applies to Celiacs, so they can bring their own food if the establishment doesn't provide a reasonable gluten-free menu. Any input?

Does anyone have a pizza recipe that is actually good, so my son will be happy with his "special pizza"? (I know good recipes have to be out there!)

Should I go in the first place? I think that I probably should. I just don't want him to feel bad. :(

Have you ever tried to make gluten free english muffins or bought them and made pizza with them. They will look like mini pan pizzas. I have only done it with regular english muffins, but the kids have loved them. One day i will try them with gluten free english muffins. Maybe somebody in here has made them

paula

wolfie Enthusiast

I use Gluten-Free Pantry's French Bread & Pizza Crust mix. I add additional spices to the dough and it is great!!! Maybe you could make some in advance and bring it along?

natalie Apprentice

Hi JennyC,

My daughter has Celiac and has attended a few birthday parties ( she just turned 4). I usually make a cupcake and decorate it with fun sprinkles. I also get a gluten free pizza crust from a health food store or online ( Kinnininick foods has a good crust) and make Allison her own pizza. I usually heat it up at home and take it along. If you take it in your own tupperware the pizza place probably has a microwave that you could heat it up in ( keep it sealed for cross contamination ). Maybe your son could help make his pizza ( pick toppings ) so that he might enjoy it more. If he isn't interested in the pizza maybe you could take stuff to make a taco, or just take gluten-free mac and cheese in a thermos. I don't think you should have any trouble taking in your own food. Maybe call ahead and explain your situation... the pizza place might even have some ideas or alternatives for you.

I remember feeling unsure about her first party, but it went really well and I was glad that I didn't leave before the meal. She had so much fun chatting with her friends, she wasn't concerned about her food being different. I usually talk to her before a party and ask her how she is feeling and what she would like to do.

Hope this helps.

Natalie

kbtoyssni Contributor

The pizza crust recipes in The Gluten Free Gourmet cookbook are really good. I also love Glutino brand frozen pizza, but prefer to make my own since pre-made is pricey.

Kibbie Contributor

I would call the pizza facility and ask to talk with the manager. Explain your fears about coming and ask what ways they will be willing to accommodate you. We have a pizza place here that makes a "low carb" pizza that is gluten free...Basically its pizza toppings baked in a bowl :) The owners wife is allergic to wheat so when I asked about cross contamination he even invited me to walk through the kitchen with him so it would put my mind at easy!

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I've brought all kinds of things into a restaurant before and never had a problem. I would not even think twice about bringing pizza. I would be sure to order a drink at least from the place.

I make the Bette hagman italian bread recipe and put it in my pizza pan. Partially cook it, then add toppings and cook the rest. Time consuming, but great!.

My opinion is that I never want my child to sit out of a function because of an allergy. Make it as safe as you can and enjoy the party. Have very strict rules with your child about what he can eat, pin a cool looking (food allergies: do nto feed me) button on him. explain the issue to the host so them are not shocked. They might try to bring something special for your son.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliet Newbie

And make sure your 3 year old will actually EAT the pizza, or else all this consternation amounts to nothing. My 3 1/2 year old doesn't like pizza 95% of the time - not because it's gluten free but because it just has too many things piled up on it that he refuses to even take a bite (he's become a very picky eater since the day he turned 3). So last time we went to a birthday party where pizza was served, he had a peanut butter sandwich, potato chips, and fruit. Only the fruit was eaten by all the other kids, too. And of those three things that he got to choose from, he refused to eat the fruit. So he ate things no one else did and was perfectly content. And of course, he inhaled the gluten free cupcake :) I have found that at this age, he really could care less if what he eats is different than others, he just wants to eat things he likes and be around other kids. And if he has a cupcake to eat at the end of the meal, he's content with eating nearly anything to get it!

It was more of a challenge for me to make sure the area he was sitting in was clean, along with all the play areas. He ended up getting sick from cross contamination after that party, and he did not have any food that wasn't prepared by me, and our house is 100% gluten free.

Guhlia Rising Star

Try the New York Style Foldable Pizza Crust recipe that's floating around. It's the best pizza I've ever had in my entire life. It's even better with some Hormel pepperoni on the top. Yum!

I bake for 25 mins, then top and bake another 10 minutes. I've found this to be sufficient. It really is the best pizza recipe I've tried yet, including any of the mixes.

If I were in your situation, I would leave after the first half of the party at the bouncy place, take your little one home and make homemade pizza. Your son would probably really enjoy helping you make it. I let my daughter dump things in after I have them measured. This would probably be much more special to him than going to some pizza place. :)

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

I think your first instincts sound good- go to the first half and then go home.

For a child who is 3 yrs old the excitement of the first location would probably be more than enough for the day- irregardless of celiac disease. I would expect that by the time everyone gets to the pizza place there are going to be lots of tired children and some of the other mothers might be wishing that they had headed home earlier too, before their children got over-tired and cranky. You know your child best and will be able to tell if this will be the right solution or not.

For my kids, I think they would have enjoyed going home to "decompress" at the end of the first half. They tended to get a little overwrought at age 3 and this sometimes led to tember tantrums if we were out in public late in the afternoon and they were tired and hungry. If you think that your child might feel like they are missing out on the fun- you could organize something special at home for them like a special meal they really like followed by a special treat or a special activity. You both might enjoy sitting down together and relaxing after the excitement of the party- maybe cuddling on the sofa with some popcorn and watching a movie?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

We've always provided our own pizza and cupcake. Practically every party Ty is invited to has pizza.

If you go, be sure to call the pizza place first to tell them there's (probably) nothing on the menu for your child, and he will be providing his own pizza, then make sure there's someplace clean to heat it up.

JennyC Enthusiast

Thank you all for your input. It's nice to hear what others have say. It really helps me clarify what I should do.

lovemyboy Rookie

Hi,

My little guy turned three in December and we've been to a few different parties, One was at play place that then served pizza afterwards with the cake and presents. I called ahead explained about food issues and they just let me bring my own pizza and cake slice for him( he didnt' eat though just wanted to keep playing so he might not even care about the pizza part).

happygirl Collaborator

have you tried whole foods pizza crust? I made pizza and took it with me this past weekend when we went out to dinner with friends.

Nikki2003 Contributor

I buy the frozen pizza crusts and buy some shredded cheese and sauce, My girls eat it up. They don't care because they eat pizza like the other kids just gluten-free. And I buy or make gluten-free cupcakes since they can't eat the cake. That is what we do for parties.

janelyb Enthusiast

If it's a pizza place that has games and toys chances are it will often be hard to gather all the kids to sit down and eat. Every Chuckecheese party we've been to (pre-celiac) my kids rarely sat to eat the pizza they were too busy playing. Everyone gave great ideas bring your own pizza and cupcake just incase you decide to stay.

Janel

Mango04 Enthusiast

Chebe and Cause Your Special make awesome, easy-to-make pizza crusts as well.

I've noticed that celiac kids deal with these social situations really well, especially if they're diagnosed at a very young age. The adults have a much harder time coping for some reason. Hope the party goes well.

JennyC Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the New York style pizza crust tonight. If all goes well, then I'll most likely make it again the morning before the party and take our own pizza. I already have frozen cupcakes. It's a good thing that I have a big purse! :P This is the first gluten party of many to come. I might as well dive right in!

Nikki2003 Contributor
Chebe and Cause Your Special make awesome, easy-to-make pizza crusts as well.

I've noticed that celiac kids deal with these social situations really well, especially if they're diagnosed at a very young age. The adults have a much harder time coping for some reason. Hope the party goes well.

yes. Chebe makes an awesome tasting and smelling pizza too.

Archived