Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boho*mama

Yummy gluten-free Banana Muffins!

So I made my first gluten-free muffins this morning. They are great! I don't like to use recipes (even when one is in front of me I don't really follow it :P ) so I spent a lot of time yesterday reading about the hows and whys of all the gluten-free flours.

I made banana chocolate chip mini muffins, they are a little sweeter then I would have liked and have a finer texture then wheat flour muffins. They puffed up beautifully, the kids each ate 2 and it was great with coffee! I wanted to share, please let me know what you think! (Vegan variation follows)

1 c brown rice flour

1 c Sweet sorgum flour

1/3 c flax meal

1/3 c tapioca starch

2/3 c packed brown sugar

1 egg

3 tbs unsalted butter

1/2 tsp b powder

2 over ripe bananas

1/3 c choc chips

To make vegan, use egg sub, margerine instead of butter and either omit the choc chips or replace with carob chips or a suggestion below.

Place everyting into bowl and mix on med speed 1-2 minutes, scrape sides mix again another minute or so (I'm not one to sift flours or have more then one mixing bowl ^_^ ) Fill muffin cups almost to top bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes till toothpick comes out clean. It made 22 mini muffins, I could have streched it into a full 2 dozen but I wanted those big round tops! My mini muffin pan makes larger then normal mini muffins, they're more like medium muffins.

Next time I may add another banana and either use 1/3 c brown sugar or honey. I almost never use chocolate chips but it was a nice addition, I may try berries or nuts (or both) next time and increase the measurement to 2/3-1 cup.

I hope you try it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So I made my first gluten-free muffins this morning. They are great! I don't like to use recipes (even when one is in front of me I don't really follow it :P ) so I spent a lot of time yesterday reading about the hows and whys of all the gluten-free flours.

I made banana chocolate chip mini muffins, they are a little sweeter then I would have liked and have a finer texture then wheat flour muffins. They puffed up beautifully, the kids each ate 2 and it was great with coffee! I wanted to share, please let me know what you think! (Vegan variation follows)

1 c brown rice flour

1 c Sweet sorgum flour

1/3 c flax meal

1/3 c tapioca starch

2/3 c packed brown sugar

1 egg

3 tbs unsalted butter

1/2 tsp b powder

2 over ripe bananas

1/3 c choc chips

To make vegan, use egg sub, margerine instead of butter and either omit the choc chips or replace with carob chips or a suggestion below.

Place everyting into bowl and mix on med speed 1-2 minutes, scrape sides mix again another minute or so (I'm not one to sift flours or have more then one mixing bowl ^_^ ) Fill muffin cups almost to top bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes till toothpick comes out clean. It made 22 mini muffins, I could have streched it into a full 2 dozen but I wanted those big round tops! My mini muffin pan makes larger then normal mini muffins, they're more like medium muffins.

Next time I may add another banana and either use 1/3 c brown sugar or honey. I almost never use chocolate chips but it was a nice addition, I may try berries or nuts (or both) next time and increase the measurement to 2/3-1 cup.

I hope you try it!

Was there something omitted from this recipe? I noticed when I had all the ingredients in the bowl that the only liquid for 3 1/3 cups of flour was one egg. I went ahead and mixed, but it never came together into a batter or dough; it stayed dry and crumbly. I didn't want to waste my ingredients so added 2/3 cup milk and went ahead and baked, but they were VERY heavy; not good at all. What did I do wrong?

BF

Was there something omitted from this recipe? I noticed when I had all the ingredients in the bowl that the only liquid for 3 1/3 cups of flour was one egg. I went ahead and mixed, but it never came together into a batter or dough; it stayed dry and crumbly. I didn't want to waste my ingredients so added 2/3 cup milk and went ahead and baked, but they were VERY heavy; not good at all. What did I do wrong?

BF

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I did melt my butter and my bananas were so overripe they were part of what I consider the "liquid" The dough was thick, somewhere between quick bread and cookie consistancy.

I hate that they didn't work for you. We stuck our leftovers in a bag in the fridge and they were still excellent today, maybe an extra egg would improve the fluffiness/moisture factor.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    SDBella
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)