Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luckygfme

Gluten Free Shampoo (help I'm New :))

Hey guys i'm new here and reading all your posts has been a huge help :)<3. I was wondering if anyone could recommend good gluten free shampoos, and other hair products like mousse and gel and stuff. I've had some bad experiences with them in the past...I recently had my hair bleached and its pretty damaged and i need a strong hydrating shampoo for it, but a lot of those shampoos have protiens (possibly wheat protein) so i'm scared to get anything. I'm stll having trouble figuring ingredients out.

-Thanks in advance :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Dove products are generally gluten free. Not into the gels and mouse, so I can't advise.

Do a search here on shampoos, there is a great data base of previously ask questions.

Welcome to the forum

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I use a lot of the Pantene stuff. You have to read the label because I think some of it has gluten, but a lot of it doesn't. I'm very reactive to haircare products and cosmetics, so I've grown to trust them to label everything accurately.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I have used this line of products since last September. Love them!

http://www.gfsoap.com/

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

I use Cliniderm shampoo, conditioner, and hand cream ... my shiny hair in my display pic shows just how good it is ;)

http://www.canderm.com/page.asp?intNodeID=8018

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

Hey guys i'm new here and reading all your posts has been a huge help :)<3. I was wondering if anyone could recommend good gluten free shampoos, and other hair products like mousse and gel and stuff. I've had some bad experiences with them in the past...I recently had my hair bleached and its pretty damaged and i need a strong hydrating shampoo for it, but a lot of those shampoos have protiens (possibly wheat protein) so i'm scared to get anything. I'm stll having trouble figuring ingredients out.

-Thanks in advance :)

Dear luckygfme,

I use L'oreal Vive Pro Conditioner and Tresseme Shampoo. These companies should clearly list any gluten containing ingredients. Both Dove and Suave have good lotions, styling aids, soaps, etc. that clearly list gluten if present. As for the severe damage, these products should help. However, I would recommend you do a hot oil treatment once a week. My best friend's hair was permed and highlighted, and I told her about the VO5 one-minute hot oil treatment. It is activated by the steam of your shower. It should be gluten free.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

I would recommend you do a hot oil treatment once a week. My best friend's hair was permed and highlighted, and I told her about the VO5 one-minute hot oil treatment. It is activated by the steam of your shower. It should be gluten free.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Unless they changed it a real short time ago VO5 oil is mainly wheat germ oil. Please be sure to read the labels on the commercial oil treatments, most will mot be safe.

The two best ways to deep treat I have found are pure coconut oil or olive oil. You use them the same way heat them a bit apply then wrap in a towel (some folks put plastic wrap on hair under the towel), or pile it then get in a hot bath. Then shampoo as usual using two lathers. Works great and definately safer and less expensive.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thermasilk is gluten-free--my hair is chemically relaxed, and this is as good or better than anything else I've tried.

I use Kerastase Nutritive Masquintense once a week for deep conditioning. It's pricy, but not nearly as much as going to the salon for conditioning treatments.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Dear ravenwoodglass,

Oh no! That is terrible! I was recommended their detangler! Someone on here said it was safe. I am glad you posted about the wheat germ oil. Crap! Do they have to put that in everything? :angry:

Dear luckygfme,

Another very inexpensive way to do a hot oil treatment is to take 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil to 1 Tablespoon honey in a plastic bag. Heat it in a ziploc for a minute or so, then apply to hair. Leave on 15 minutes, then rinse. Condition as usual.

Other great moisturizers for hair include:

Mash 1 whole avacado (peeled and pitted) leave on 15 min. then condition as usual.

Mayonnaise

Eggs

Coconut oil and milk

It is amazing what you have in your kitchen can help with! Great exfoliators for skin can help a lot, too! Just use a rough loofah sponge to remove dead skin cells after you take sugar and water and make a paste on your feet. Let it set 15 minutes. Then slough off the dead skin cells with the loofah. Apply baby oil to moisturize.

For your lips, it is easy, too. Before you take a shower, (hot and steamy) slather your lips with Vasoline Petroleum Jelly. Let it set on your lips during the shower. Then, when you get out, use a soft bristled toothbrush to slough off the dead skin cells. This is quick and effective. It is also inexpensive!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

I was just in Sephora today, looking for gluten free shampoos, conditioners etc, I found the Johnathan line, supposedly he is on Bravo network with his stuff.. its all natural, all vegan and no wheat anywhere in any of the products, no funny ingredients or anything..

Granted, saying that, I have not called on the products yet, I bought the shampoo and conditioner, I desperatly needed something gluten free.. I will let you know if its any good, its a bit more expensive than the supermarket stuff.. and I have not verified it yet.. so dont use anything I have here as gospel!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

awsome!! thanks a lot of all the suggestion :D

Dear luckygfme,

You are so welcome! Beauty on a budget is possible! Then, you can save money for other things you want! Like a nice new outfit or something! :) Some gluten free goodies would be a nice splurge, too! It blows my mind how much some celebrities are paying for some of these spa treatments you can easily do at home.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Dear luckygfme,

I use L'oreal Vive Pro Conditioner and Tresseme Shampoo. These companies should clearly list any gluten containing ingredients. Both Dove and Suave have good lotions, styling aids, soaps, etc. that clearly list gluten if present. As for the severe damage, these products should help. However, I would recommend you do a hot oil treatment once a week. My best friend's hair was permed and highlighted, and I told her about the VO5 one-minute hot oil treatment. It is activated by the steam of your shower. It should be gluten free.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl,

which of the tresseme shampoos do you use? All of them I have looked at have hydrolized wheat protein in the ingredients so I'd love to know which one doesn't. I miss my tresseme! :(

~ Jenn

NoGluGirl,

which of the tresseme shampoos do you use? All of them I have looked at have hydrolized wheat protein in the ingredients so I'd love to know which one doesn't. I miss my tresseme! :(

Dear Byte Me,

I am using the ColorThrive for brunettes and redheads. The ingredients mostly sound like chemicals. However, they do not cause me trouble! As far as I know, they clearly list ingredients they use. Here is what mine contains:

water, ammonium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium cocoyl isethionate, sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium methyl cocoyl taurate, sodium xylenesulfonate, cocamidopropyl betaine, propylene glycol, bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 aminoethyl PG propyl dimethicone, aminopropyl dimethicone, PEG-2 dimeadowfoamamidoethylmonium methosulfate, panthenol, tocopheryl acetate, biotin, niacinamide, ascorbic acid, guar hydroxypropyltraminonium chloride, quaternium-80, citric acid, PEG-18 glyceryl oleate/cocoate, poly quaternium-7, laureth-7, glycol distearate, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium cocoamphoacetate, hexylene glycol, dipropylne glycol, DMDM hydantoin, sodium chloride, ammonium chloride, tetrasodium EDTA, polysorbate-20, parfum/fragrance, caramel

As far as I know, these things are all safe. If anyone knows different, please correct me.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    luvbaggio
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)