Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny1972

My Little Experiment

Got fed up of doctors messing me about. Does she or doesn't she have celiacs so I decided to conduct a little experiment. Been gluten free for 3 month . Had a bread role at lunch time and within 2 hours my bowels exploded. Won't go into details but it wasn't nice. So much for blood tests. Will stick to gluten free dispite what doctors say!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can't get much more definitive that that! Even though I am one of those who has the confirmed bloodwork/biopsy diagnosis, I have come to the realization that the conventional testing for celiac is letting a whole society down - half of the world is gluten intolerant and no test yet shows that..... <_<

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Dear Jenny1972,

Yep, I know what you are sayin'! I had negative blood work and biopsies done several years ago. It turn out, I am a Celiac! I have a very violent reaction. I can take up to twelve hours to react, but when it hits, it is bad! I have been gluten free for more than six months now. I have been glutened a lot lately though due to my parents' carelessness. They just think I am being a hypochondriac. They are not taking this illness as seriously as they should.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Dear Jenny1972,

Yep, I know what you are sayin'! I had negative blood work and biopsies done several years ago. It turn out, I am a Celiac! I have a very violent reaction. I can take up to twelve hours to react, but when it hits, it is bad! I have been gluten free for more than six months now. I have been glutened a lot lately though due to my parents' carelessness. They just think I am being a hypochondriac. They are not taking this illness as seriously as they should.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Felt really rough all weekend with pains in my legs and ankles and sooo tired today. Any idea how long it takes to get unglutened? Experiment was a good idea at the time but one I won't be repeating in a hurry.

Jenny, I am sorry you are still feeling bad. Unfortunately, it can take up to two weeks to feel better. I hope it will be a lot less for you.

Still, it was a good idea to try gluten, because now you know that you are definitely intolerant to it, forget about ignorant doctors.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Felt really rough all weekend with pains in my legs and ankles and sooo tired today. Any idea how long it takes to get unglutened? Experiment was a good idea at the time but one I won't be repeating in a hurry.

Dear Jenny1972,

Some people it takes longer than others to recover. At least now you know how sensitive you are so you will not be eager to cheat. I take anywhere between two days to a week to feel better. It varies. I have a violent reaction, too. So, even a microscopic amount makes me terribly sick. Luckily, I have promethazine on hand in case I need it. I hope you recover quickly!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville