Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holiday16

Has Anyone Tried Making Carol Fenster's Recipe For (m)...

sandwich bread (Wheat Free Recipe's and Menus book) using her Sorghum-Corn flour blend? I've tried several different recipes and this is the one that the whole family seems to like the best. I think it's because I used to make my own bread so this seems to be the closest to what I used to make. What I like is that is smells/looks like real bread when it's baking and the top does not fall!

The whole family has started using the bread so we don't buy any at all even though my son and dh are not gluten free. Thank goodness it's easy to make because they go through it very quickly. The night I made stew they ate an entire loaf with dinner!

I would love input from others who have made it because even family members that can eat gluten like this one. My brother tasted it and thought it tasted like the bread that my mother used to make and he tasted it untoasted...

I started out making Carol Fenster's sandwich bread with sorghum flour. Carleigh liked it well enough, but I couldn't get it to rise very well.

Then I found a recipe at www.twinvalleymills.com with a blend of sorghum/tapioca/cornstarch and also calls for milk powder and gelatin. It worked much bettter for me so that is what I make now.

Some day I plan on trying Lorka's bread though!

Cheri A - you MUST try Lorka's bread! It is AWESOME!!!! I'm planning on making a loaf tomorrow!!!

Of course, I'm going to check out your recommendation too...

Holiday - think I'll see if I can get that book from the Library. I have sorghum and corn flour - always looking for bread recipes...of course, I like Lorka's absolutely the best right now :D

I started out making Carol Fenster's sandwich bread with sorghum flour. Carleigh liked it well enough, but I couldn't get it to rise very well.

Then I found a recipe at www.twinvalleymills.com with a blend of sorghum/tapioca/cornstarch and also calls for milk powder and gelatin. It worked much bettter for me so that is what I make now.....

ca,

I ordered 10 lb of sorghum flour (four 2.5 lb containers) from www.twinvalleymills.com. Was kind of funny story, definately different. Made me a satisfied customer.

I've only used it as part of a multi-flour/starch blend, not as sorghum flour only/starch blend. I take it you made the Bette Hagman bread recipe. Did you follow the recipe exactly? Any tips? Guess I should try that out.

best regards, lm

Larry ~ I recall we talked about that before. I tried to order from them too, but never heard back. Did they "bill" you?

Carleigh just loves their bread recipe that I make. I have only made bread from twin valley mills and Carol Fenster though.

Maybe I'll try Lorka's bread this weekend!

Have been using Gluten-Free Pantry French Bread Mix with good results, but have never heard of Lorka's bread. Can someone tell me what that is? Is it a recipe or a mix? I'm always looking for something closer to the real thing. Thanks!

I used Lorka's bread recipe for a while, but my dd liked the one from Carol Fenster better. I really think it's just because the flax seed one is very much like store bought bread and the Fenster recipe is closer to homemade and I always made my bread myself.

I also posted about using a hearthkit and I suspect that may be why it turns out as well as it does. I made some the other day and took a loaf to my parents house. My sister and her kids who are not gluten free were there and ate almost the entire loaf (without toasting). They absolutely love it and my sister said she could not tell it was gluten free. My parents also took some with them when they went to FL to visit my grandmother. She tasted it and thought it was very good as well.

I altered the recipe a bit so if anyone wants to try it the changes I made were to use milk instead of water, I put all the dry ingredients in the mixer first and then the eggs, oil, vinegar and yeast mixture. I let it rise a bit above the pans, but I adjust the recipe to make 2 one lb. loaves and use a small bread pan. I think gluten free bread seems to turn out better in smaller metal pans (8 1/2 X 4 1/2), but when I went to buy new ones I had to look everywhere to find that size! I also halve the milk powder since I use milk instead of water.

It seems to rise better in a warm oven so I've been doing that lately. I also use potato starch rather than cornstarch in the blend, but I don't know how much of a difference that would make. I really do like that with this bread is doesn't get crumbly even after a week. Since I started making this recipe we've stopped buying bread at all for family members that can have gluten since they like this one just fine. Makes it nice not to have to worry about gluten crumbs :o)

Have been using Gluten-Free Pantry French Bread Mix with good results, but have never heard of Lorka's bread. Can someone tell me what that is? Is it a recipe or a mix? I'm always looking for something closer to the real thing. Thanks!

Jo Ann,

Here is a link to Lorka's recipe--

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28633