This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie May Have Ciliac Disease

CaveBear

CaveBear Newbie

Hello everyone.

I'm really very new to this. I went into the hospital tuesday with severe iron deficiency

anemia (hemogloban was 6.4). Got a total of 4 units of packed red blood cells to get my

counts higher, but also while I was there they gave me both an upper and lower endoscopy.

They found no sources of bleeding, which is what they were looking for, but found signs

of Celiac in my small intestine and took a biopsy. I won't know the results of the biopsy

probably for around a week. In the mean time they put me on a gluten free diet.

I went out and found a couple heath food stores that stocked gluten free products,

so I got some rice bread, pizza and pasta.

Anyways, like I said I am really new to this. If anyone can give me some helpful suggestions

on getting started and maybe what to watch for I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Randy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Welcome Randy:

This is a great place to learn about Celiac.

First, don't rush off any by gluten free foods yet. (I still have some I bought when I was first dx'd almost two years ago). Try to stick to naturally gluten free foods such as, meats, seafood, rice, potatos, fresh veggies, eggs and fruit.

The diet is not difficult and with a little adjustment, you can eat as well as before and healthier.

Some people are sensitive to dairy until they heal and then gradually re-introduce into their diet.

There is a ton of information on this site. Read and Ask.

HawkFire Explorer

Watch for gluten in your shampoo, conditioner, chapstick, and other personal care products. Watch for gluten in things such as your BBQ briquettes! Yes! They typically contain wheat. Can you believe it? Watch for the one brand (I forget) of Hotdogs that contain wheat. Watch for torn or fragmented teflon pans- the gluten can remain within the tears. Watch for plastic spatulas. Do not use the same utensil for preparing gluten free/gluten full food items. That small amount of cross-contamination will negate the best of your efforts to remain gluten free.

You will find that many gluten free products are not very good. Some companies capitalize on a desparate consumer group. I recommend kinnkinnick.com. I use them. They are reputable and their food products are NOT a waste of your hard-earned money!

I know some people say stick with naturally gluten free products, but I have three children and we did need to find replacements when we went gluten free. We have bread, we have crackers, we have spaghetti - Tinkyada brand is the only one I buy- we make garlic bread on Kinnikinnick english muffins to go with our italian meals. We are not deprived in any way. Texture and flavor are important in food.

• 4 weeks later...
CaveBear Newbie

Well, I got my tests back, both blood tests and the endoscopy biopsy and it was determined that

I definitely do not have Celiac's disease. I want to thank those that responded to my

post, and want to wish you all the best of luck living gluten free. After living for around a

month gluten free, I have a deep respect for all of you that have to deal with it

perhaps for the rest of your lives. I truly hope they will someday find a cure,

or at least a drug that will allow you to be able to eat without having to worry

about what is in the ingredients of everything you eat.

All my best,

Randy

Lisa Mentor
Well, I got my tests back, both blood tests and the endoscopy biopsy and it was determined that

I definitely do not have Celiac's disease. I want to thank those that responded to my

post, and want to wish you all the best of luck living gluten free. After living for around a

month gluten free, I have a deep respect for all of you that have to deal with it

perhaps for the rest of your lives. I truly hope they will someday find a cure,

or at least a drug that will allow you to be able to eat without having to worry

about what is in the ingredients of everything you eat.

All my best,

Randy

Randy, you know that this a place for support, where ever life finds you. Whether Celiac or not, it's always a good place to come.

Nantzie Collaborator

Also, keep the gluten-free diet in the back of your mind as something to try. There are so many people here (including me) who had negative test results, but had life-changing results just by trying the diet.

I hope you feel better soon.

:D

Nancy

Archived