This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Upset With Myself

confused

confused Community Regular

I had gotten some crackers at the health food store. On front of the box it said proud sponser of the celiac foundations. So I didnt even bother to look at the back cause even the person at the health food store said they were gluten free.

Well the night i had the tuna with the miracle whip, i used the crackers like for mini sandwhiches. I then snacked on them on saturday, then i put one in my mouth yesterday, and i was like I am going to look at the back of the box. And guess what they are made in places that process wheat and other items. Plus they have butter in them.

I have been so sick since friday. I spent from noon til now in bed, and im still feeling like crap.

I guess i really need to read labels no matter what.

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Sorry you're not feeling well. Just when we fall into a comfort zone and think we can relax a little....

Don't beat yourself up too much. I made the mistake of drinking a sip of tea yesterday and it was barley tea. I did ask but the answer wasn't clear and I should have known better and smelled it first.It's something I am familiar with so I would have known. I knew right away after that sip! But really I feel a little nuts at times checking and re-checking and sniffing things and picking apart my food in restaurants in front of the server to see if the fish hidden under the lettuce in the fish taco had been floured. Who does that?(except us :P )

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Keep in mind that "gluten free" is ALL about ingredients, not processing facility. If you're sensitive enough that you have to avoid items made in shared facilities, then you absolutely must always read the packaging.

Most of us make all our regular meals in shared facilities - if the other members of your household have ever brought in something with gluten to your kitchen, it would make all the food you prepared in there "made in a facility that handles wheat" (by food processing standards). That's not to say that there's no reason to worry and sometimes avoid, but I think it helps to put things in context.

(Heh... if you want to use the analogy "processed in a facility that handles rat poison"... well, many of them probably use some varieties of pesticides. Now I'm curious! ;) )

confused Community Regular

The reason why I am feeling so bad is more from the milk then anything i beleive, Here i got milk in the miracle whip and milk in the crackers. I am also very sensitive to gluten, so that comes into play. But i feel most of what i am going threw is from the milk in two products.

I had to even call my husband to come home and take the boys to school, i was too afraid to be away from my house for that time period.

I just want to feel good again, and i feel i keep making dumb mistakes, and it is so frustrating.

paula

JennyC Enthusiast
Keep in mind that "gluten free" is ALL about ingredients, not processing facility. If you're sensitive enough that you have to avoid items made in shared facilities, then you absolutely must always read the packaging.

Most of us make all our regular meals in shared facilities - if the other members of your household have ever brought in something with gluten to your kitchen, it would make all the food you prepared in there "made in a facility that handles wheat" (by food processing standards). That's not to say that there's no reason to worry and sometimes avoid, but I think it helps to put things in context.

(Heh... if you want to use the analogy "processed in a facility that handles rat poison"... well, many of them probably use some varieties of pesticides. Now I'm curious! ;) )

Thanks for the perspective. I'm new to all of this. I think I bought similar crackers for my son. I almost threw them away when I saw that they were made in a shared facility, but I thought that most "normal" food is most likely manufactured in a shared facility (and our home cooked food). I'm not planning to be that restricting on his diet unless his medical condition warrants it. Until then, I'm letting the poor kid have his Cheetos!

carriecraig Enthusiast

Paula,

I feel your pain. I went to lunch yesterday, and got steak fajitas. I asked what was in them, and the reply I got back indicated that they would be safe for me. Well, let me tell you... I was at an open house an hour later, and had to run out. I had a severe reaction to what I ate, and was in the bathroom at least 7 times yesterday afternoon.

I have been gluten-free for almost 2 years now, with very few slipups (my last one was blue cheese). The reaction that I had yesterday was 100x worse then those I had before I was diagnosed. Or maybe I just got used to it and blocked it out of my mind. Either way, I can empathize with you as I'm still feeling the effects today.

Feel better, and know that no matter how careful we are, there are times when we get victimized.

Carrie

Archived