Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alamaz

How Do I Substitute Sour Cream?

I need a substitute for sour cream. The recipe uses sour cream to mix everything together (chicken stuffed tomatoes). Is there a DF/gluten-free/SF alternative I could use?

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I need a substitute for sour cream. The recipe uses sour cream to mix everything together (chicken stuffed tomatoes). Is there a DF/gluten-free/SF alternative I could use?

Soyco Foods makes a DF/gluten-free/SF alternative that works okay if there are a lot of seasonings. It's best to use it when you can let the flavors blend for several hours.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

This is difficult. I sometimes find I have to give up a recipe or a food. One food I have found I can do a lot with is Hummus. There are so many flavors. The consistency is creamy. I know it's not easy to be soy and dairy free, I am, but it is worth it to your health. Perhaps a flavored hummus or a plain hummus would alter your recipe, but at the same time, make it better?

The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

sour coconut cream with some vinegar.

Gluten-free, Vegan

sour coconut cream with some vinegar.

How do you do that? It sounds interesting.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

One product I'm aware of is made by Galaxy Nutritional Foods. They have a few different product lines to accommodate those with various intolerances.

Another company that comes to mind is Spectrum Organics. While I didn't see a sour scream, they do have mayonnaise, which might work in some cases. I didn't check ingredients.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I didn't think about hummus.....that might work and the souring the coconut milk with vinegar thing sounds interesting..... is that just putting vinegar in the coconut milk to taste?

Amy

Alamaz, I am not really able to help you with the sour cream thing but I would love to get your recipe. It sounds so GOOD.........

Thank you

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!

Here again, after talking to my wife she said there is also IMO. I am not real knowledgeable on this one but it is some thing you could check out or maybe some one else knows some thing about this one. I know though that is is in most if not all of the stores. So no running to the health food store or health food isle. Ok Good luck again.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!

hmmm.... Imo. the web turned up some non-specific stuff but I'll have to look for it in the grocery store next time I'm there. I haven't made the recipe yet but here it is if anyone wants to try it:

Chicken and Wild Rice Stuffed Tomatoes (From a Rachel Ray Magazine)

1/4 cup wild rice

8 large tomatoes

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion- chopped

4 ounces mushrooms coarsley chopped

1 lb. ground chicken

1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika

1/2 cup sour cream

1 bunch dill - chopped (approx. 1/4 cup)

Salt

Prepare wild rice according to package directions

Cut a 1/2 inch slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out and discard seeds, most of flesh and excess juice. Place tomato shells on baking sheet and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 (F)

In skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, add onion and cook approx. 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add ground chicken and cook for 6 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spoon until crumbly. Remove from heat and and stir in cooked wild rice, sour cream and dill. Add salt to taste.

Stuff the rice mixture into the tomatoes. Brush the outside of the tomatoes with remaining olive oil and season with salt. Cover loosely with foil and bake until tomatoes are tender and fill is hot (approx. 25 minutes).