Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

allison7997

Wondering About Being Glutened.

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but was diagnosed with celiac about three years ago. I was doing great with the diet, but last night I ate two slices of pizza that I ordered from a restuarant (that they claimed was "gluten free"). Anyway, I don't think it was. About twenty minutes later, I was vomiting uncontrollably, spitting up blood, and has vicious cramps (but no D). These symptoms are totally different than what my symptoms were before I was on a gluten free diet (then they were D, bloating, general malaise, etc). Is this normal? Is my body that used to not having gluten that I would vomit it up before it even reached my small intestine? Thanks. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to the board!

Many members here have commented about changes in their reaction to gluten, so what you've experienced doesn't surprise me. Usually however, the reaction is similar, but intensified. Perhaps if the body hadn't rejected the gluten as it did, and allowed it to progress further through the digestive system, you'd have had the other symptoms you mentioned. Either way, you know gluten is a definite no-no.

On the other hand, many folks report having delayed reactions, so wait a few days before you decide it's over.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I have read that for many people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease, when you are eating gluten the body builds up a degree of "tolerance" to it. However, by excluding gluten from the diet for a long time, it seems logical that you lose the tolerance and thus, if you eat gluten you could get a very sudden and severe reaction such as you experienced. :(

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.