Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

erica33

Non-celiacs Eating Gluten Free Products

I assume that its just from trying something new, but I made a gluten free pasta dish last nite and my boyfriend complained that he woke up in the middle of the nite with horrible stomach pains and asked if I would post and see if anyone else who doesn't have celiac disease has a problem with eating gluten free foods?

I personally think that its just from introducing new foods to your body, that you may not normally eat, but I thought for his sake, I would ask!

Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't imagine why eating foods made without gluten would bother anyone. gluten-free pasta is usually just rice. My dh neither has Celiac or a gluten issue - and eats gluten-free all the time. And, even he feels better when he's not consuming gluten. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it was something else in the dish that's bothering him??

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

My hubby eats gluten-free food (pasta included) all the time and never has a problem. The only problem I see w/ some of them is that they're EXPENSIVE and if he can eat regular food that's way cheaper, he does.

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Maybe your boyfriend is intolerant to rice? There is no way a gluten-free diet can hurt anybody normally, unless they are intolerant to something in those gluten-free foods, as I am.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. Normally it would be fine, just like normally wheat is fine. But he may have uncovered a sensitivity that he was unaware of.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I assume that its just from trying something new, but I made a gluten free pasta dish last nite and my boyfriend complained that he woke up in the middle of the nite with horrible stomach pains and asked if I would post and see if anyone else who doesn't have celiac disease has a problem with eating gluten free foods?

I personally think that its just from introducing new foods to your body, that you may not normally eat, but I thought for his sake, I would ask!

Thanks! :)

Since I made our household gluten-free I very rarely eat gluten any more except once in awhile at lunch when I'm working and I have never had a problem with gluten-free pasta or anything else (except gaining a few pounds from cooking more :( I think he probably would have had whatever it was regardless and would tell him not to worry.

BF

I'd guess it's either he doesn't usually eat as much fiber as the rice pasta meal contained, or it was just a coincidence.

Just my two cents...

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I assumed that it wasnt, but like I had said, he wanted me to ask, so I figured I would. It may have been something he ate earlier and just associated it with the last meal he ate. Or maybe he does have a problem with rice. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for all your help!!

:lol: It's so funny you mention that! I am the only (known) Celiac in my family, but my Mom sometimes attends Celiac support group meetings with me. She always says that she has the worst stomach aches after sampling even just a little of the gluten-free fare that is always available. She jokes that she has reverse Celiac disease!

I always tell her it's because the food is rich, but I eat 3x as much as her, and I'm fine so go figure.

- Lauren

I'd guess it's either he doesn't usually eat as much fiber as the rice pasta meal contained, or it was just a coincidence.

Just my two cents...

This makes sense. I am not celiac (hubby is) and gluten-free foods don't bother me. A rice sensitivity also makes sense; does he normally eat rice? If no rice problems, then I'd place my bet on him not being used to eating fiber.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

There's also the possibility that his digestive system simply isn't accustomed to one or more ingredients. The gut doesn't maintain digestive enzymes for compounds not normally encountered, so when something new enters the system, it can take some time for the required enzymes to be produced. I read this is why Americans tend to experience gas and/or heartburn when they eat Mexican food. The typical American doesn't eat beans, so the required enzymes aren't there.

Whenever I add a new food to my diet, I try to start out with a very small amount, and wait a few days before eating it again. Slowly I'll work up to the ideal amount, which might take two weeks.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

My husband and I tried bean flour pasta. It tasted great, but after our bellies ached. :huh: The equivilent of eating a plateful of beans (navy, lentil, fava and chickpea) can make a huge difference.

Xanthan gum (or guar gum) can have a laxative effect. :o

If someone tells me something they ate makes them feel sick, I believe them. ;)

L.

Michigan