This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Back On Gluten

confused

confused Community Regular

Well we put my step son back on gluten on monday, he hasnt ate alot of gluten just a little, yesterday he took a sandwhich on gluten free bread. But he has had some gluten. Well last night he came home from wrestling practice and his mouth is back to all the mouth sores. He is also very spacy again. I hate doing to this to him. I really know i have my answer to him having celiac.

A part of me just wants to say forget what the doctors have to say and maybe just do the enterolab test, cause i think at least if he has those answers he might stay away from gluten permantly. But he might get to college in 4 yrs, and go back to eating what he wants and drinking what he wants, and end up in bad shape, if we dont have the medical diagnoses.

We do go to the ped Gi dr next wednesday. So im thinking maybe just keeping him on gluten to then, then the dr can see the damage that gluten is doing to him, and maybe he will just diagnose him that way (i can dream right).

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Paula, there are some doctors who will diagnose a gluten intolerance on the kind of evidence you have, without positive tests. My doctor did, I have heard of others here who's doctors did the same thing. I hope your doctor is one of those reasonable ones, for your son's sake.

If not, please just go with Enterolab. Your son will have the evidence to look at then. He is a smart kid, I am sure he can tell the difference in wellbeing when he is gluten-free, and feeling lousy when he is eating gluten.

Paula, there are some doctors who will diagnose a gluten intolerance on the kind of evidence you have, without positive tests. My doctor did, I have heard of others here who's doctors did the same thing. I hope your doctor is one of those reasonable ones, for your son's sake.

If not, please just go with Enterolab. Your son will have the evidence to look at then. He is a smart kid, I am sure he can tell the difference in wellbeing when he is gluten-free, and feeling lousy when he is eating gluten.

I just went and looked at his grades for the week, and he has gotten 2 f's and one d on assignments this week He had staight a's on assignments last week. So i know i have my answer.

I am hoping the doctor will to, and im hoping he will take into account that his aunt has the disease and they are pretty sure the grandma had it also, just never tested. And to be honest i would not be surprised if his mom has it, she is a very moody person and very very skinny and always looks terrible. Well the few times we have seen her in the last 10 years.

paula

Nancym Enthusiast

I'm just curious but why is it so important you get buy-in from your doctor?

I'm just curious but why is it so important you get buy-in from your doctor?

Because I believe that is the only way he will follow the diet, I have tried him to be completely gluten free, and he sneaks stuff all the time that has gluten in it. I also need the doctors diagnosis for his mother. She will not follow the diet with him, if he is with her, just cause we feel it is best. Even tho she has not seen him in 9 months, I know they will spend time together in the summer, and she will feed him whatever she wants.

I know it will be easier with the diagnosis in the long run.

paula

Archived