Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a simple blood test that will check all of my vitamin levels to see if im deficient in something? Or is it a seperate blood draw for each vitamin level?

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If all they are checking is your vitamin levels I believe it would be just one tube. Don't let the fear of it being more than one stop you from getting them checked if there is a need. Most phlebotamists are really good at what they do and it is not painful when they change the tubes. I have had as many as 13 tubes drawn at one time prediagnosis and didn't even have a bruise.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

If all they are checking is your vitamin levels I believe it would be just one tube. Don't let the fear of it being more than one stop you from getting them checked if there is a need. Most phlebotamists are really good at what they do and it is not painful when they change the tubes. I have had as many as 13 tubes drawn at one time prediagnosis and didn't even have a bruise.

Thanks for the reply......Im not concerned about getting blood drawn, i have no fear of needles. The reason i was asking was because i asked my doctor to order a blood test to check all of my vitamin levels and he only ordered the B12 test. I was wondering why he only chose to measure this one level, if he could have had them check them all.

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Is there a simple blood test that will check all of my vitamin levels to see if im deficient in something? Or is it a seperate blood draw for each vitamin level?

Most all vitamin tests are individually ordered, but multiple tests can be done from each tube. It may only take a fraction of a cc of serum to run the test. Most "red top " tubes have at least 1/2 cc per tube.

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

Most all vitamin tests are individually ordered, but multiple tests can be done from each tube. It may only take a fraction of a cc of serum to run the test. Most "red top " tubes have at least 1/2 cc per tube.

Sorry...I missed your other post. B12 is commonly low in celiac disease but so is iron,ferritin,folic acid,vitamin D, calcium,magnesium,vitamin A, vitamin K and others. Treating B12 without knowing folic acid levels can mask that deficiency, and be serious in its own right. Certainly if you are having symptoms ,more complete testing is in order. Maybe some day a smart commercial lab will offer a Celiac Vitamin/Mineral Panel !!

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003