Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moonlight

Beyond Coping...

Hi,

I was wondering..have you experienced any benefits of not being able to eat GLUTEN or being celiac or having gluten intolerance?

My husband was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in July, 2006...We had very difficult days, weeks, and months..and still being gluten free or dealing with the effects of gluten is not easy and often overwhelming. It affects every aspect of our life. But, we think that this condition is very important for us because we learned so much and changed our life style so much...I personaly can say that we would not do it this way if he did not get sick. So, for us, there are benefits of not being able to eat gluten.

Does anyone feel the same way?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

I was wondering..have you experienced any benefits of not being able to eat GLUTEN or being celiac or having gluten intolerance?

My husband was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in July, 2006...We had very difficult days, weeks, and months..and still being gluten free or dealing with the effects of gluten is not easy and often overwhelming. It affects every aspect of our life. But, we think that this condition is very important for us because we learned so much and changed our life style so much...I personaly can say that we would not do it this way if he did not get sick. So, for us, there are benefits of not being able to eat gluten.

Does anyone feel the same way?

i have noticed how much healthier you eat. lots more fruits and veggies, dairy dosnt bother me so i drink and eat a lot more, so lots of calcium in my diet. i eat smaller more frequent meals which is better for you, and no more mcdonalds! i still have some treats in my fridge (brownies from a great bakery in BC) but very little prosecced food in the house.

Nadine

mom of 4 great kids - 2 diagnosed with autism and 2 typical kids (thank goodness)

all this started after my hysterectomy in March of 2006

G.F. since Feb 2007

Soy free since April 2007

Blood work was negatvie (after 2 weeks of being on the gluten-free diet)

entrolab results:

Antigliadin 9 (normal <10)

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 - 0302

HLA-DQB2 Allele 2 - 0502

HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 8,5)

carrying one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene

nurse at entrolab figures i caught this early and dont eat gluten anymore

life is like a box of chocolates;sometimes you get stuck with the yukky coconut fillet one

I actually know how to cook now! And i love it!! The other day I was making a grilled zuchini, carmelized onion pasta w/ goat cheese and shrimp and my friend remarked how much my culinary talents have grown - two years ago, if it didn't come out of a box I couldn't have handled it!

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

There's a number of things that I wouldn't have tried without going gluten free - like amaranth.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

As I repearedly tell my wife, finding out I had celiac disease was the BEST thing to ever happen to me. I eat healthy, feel 100 times better than I have in forever, and have sold off my stock in Pepto Bismol and Tums B)

John

positive blood tests 2/07

positive endoscopy 2/07

colonoscopy with benign polyps 2/07