Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anemic

Anxious About Going On Vacation

Hello everyone! This forum has become a tremendous source of support for me, even my 5 year son says "go talk to your celiac friends on the computer" when we sees I'm feeling frustrated.

My Mom and I are going to New york City for 5 days, we have been planning this dream trip for months. I am very anxious about eating out for this long so I've got my restaurant cards laminated and have a list of restaurants that have gluten-free menus. We have made dinner reservations at 4 restaurants I have always wanted to go to- I'm a bit of a foodie and I specified on the reservation- NO GLUTEN PLEASE!

For me the problem is that I don't have the GI symptoms- I have very bad anemia instead. I am so scared that I will have gluten by accident and not know it. Likewise, my hemotologist said that in time I will probably begin to have GI symptoms if I have gluten by accident. Has this ever happened to anyone? Also, as I write this my kids are playing playdough- should I get rid of playdough, glue etc. I just found out about gluten-free make-up last night, it really hadn't occured to me to get rid of my makeup. Do all of you live in gluten-free households? My husband and kids are still eating gluten and I'm alwys nervous as I'm cleaning up bagel and cereal bar crumbs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Oooo, I would say that all the gluteny food is more of a danger to you than Play-do. Perhaps get a separate toaster for you and designated cutting board? That way none of your food will have to touch where their food did. As for Play-do and things, just scrub your hands extra special till they're red and you should be safe, I think...... I've never had a problem with things like that, but I'm much less sensitive than a lot of people on the board, might want to wait for their feedback. I definitely get GI symptoms, but they're harder to trigger in me than most celiacs, it seems.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill