This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Now Dairy?

TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I have just had a horrible Easter. I ended up spending the day in bed, with massive upper stomach pain and nausea. I thought I must be getting sick. I have never felt this before, at least not celiac related since the beginning when I was first diagnosed. I havent felt nausea as a gluten affect in over a year. Now, the dairy thing.. I am not ready for this.. I am at an emotional break down phase.. I ate a special yogurt thing from Iceland this morning for breakfast, very creamy, very dairy. Then for lunch I had a small gluten free cheese pizza, and a tiny piece of cheesecake, we were having a late Easter dinner.

I wasnt feeling good, a sore throat and a headache, so I laid down twice to try and feel better, didnt want to miss Easter. Then the second time, I woke up after a short nap, with pain.. so much pain.. in my upper stomach, gluten always hits me lower stomach, without fail. Then the nausea hits.. omg, I must have a stomach flu..

My mom came and took Colin to dinner with the family and me and Gary stayed home. I remembered that I had reglan in my dresser from my previous doctor who swore I didnt have celiacs and that reglan would calm the nausea down, needless to say, the reglan didnt work for that.

but I took one today, and slowly I began to feel better, I was able to come downstairs and see Colin all dressed up in his Easter outfit.. then I realize, I am major constipated...

Could it have been the dairy?? once I fixed the constipation problem.. voila, I am better.. missed dinner, but they brought a plate home to me...

help anyone???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

One way to find out would be to avoid all dairy for a few weeks, then try some and see how it goes. I wouldn't think it should take very much dairy to cause a noticeable reaction if it's the cause of the symptoms you describe. So hopefully you won't need to have very much, and any symptoms might then be manageable, yet definitive.

Thanks, will try that. I had a lot of dairy yesterday as you saw on my post of what I ate that day. Later in the day, I had chicken with goat cheese on it... and I was fine. I havent had any dairy today and feel fine, just sick.. head congestion kind.. sore throat.. sicky... just got out of bed! ahhh, days when the daddy is home, spoiled!

rsm Newbie

I have been gluten free for 4 weeks tomorrow, feeling much better but I can not handle dairy in any quantity over a teaspoon or two. I guess thats normal until you get healed up a little bit.

yes, without a doubt that is normal. I experienced that when I first went gluten free, its been over a year now.. cant believe that, just feels like this is the way it has always been.. I was lucky.. I took to the diet easily and completely right away... never have cravings for gluten filled foods nothing.. even when everyone around me is eating it.. nah.. maybe its just b/c of the getting sick thing.. who knows? but now after over a year.. to hit the dairy thing.. taking me by surprise.. now I am getting glum about it.. not the gluten.. that is fine.. just the dairy thing...

anyone know?? does dairy do damage like gluten does to our system? I admit I never really read up on it, b/c I never experienced a problem.. I mean if I cant have it, I cant.. I will have to learn to deal with it.. b/c yesterday was NOT fun... but does it hurt our villi or anything??

Lisa Mentor

Jumping in here and I'm not absolutely certain....My understanding is that dairy will cause symptons such as gluten, but will not do villi damage as gluten does.

Thanks Momma.. you have always been quick to help and share what you know.. you have no idea how much that means to me.. you are a credit to this board!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

:D

Thanks Momma.. you have always been quick to help and share what you know.. you have no idea how much that means to me.. you are a credit to this board!!!!

:):);)

Ok, dairy experiment last nite... I guess I failed. My b/f gets Mickey D's every Monday nite usually, he bowls and gets home late and that is the day I make pasta and all the stuff he wont eat but me and Colin do... so he does his usual, brings me home a vanilla shake, sweet of him eh?

So, I drink not even half of it.. its actually too late at nite, too heavy.. never can finish it.. sooo, upstairs reading, the bubbles start in the gut.. lots of gas, then the D, just once, which is what I usually get when I havent gotten a major glutening or anything.. I am not sure if its the dairy, or did a crumby hand touch the outside of the cup and voila, in my mouth..

So, staying completely away from dairy today.. and so far I feel fine..

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI STEPHANIE

GLAD YOU FOUND CHOP...PREVIOUS POST.

I FOUGHT TOOTH AND NAIL AGAINST GIVING UP DAIRY/CASEIN BUT ALAS.......................I FEEL SOOOOOOOOO GOOD 7 WEEKS D/C FREE.

TRY TO GIVE IT A FULL WEEK AND I'LL BET YOU LIKE THE WAY YOU'LL FEEL.

HUGS

JUDY

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - plumbago replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - trents replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

4. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

5. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

jhand
    Newest Member
    jhand
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• plumbago
      I'm also a nurse, but one who has worked in chronic care, and to some extent, it is more satisfying to see patients through to a diagnosis (as opposed to working in the ED), but an accurate diagnosis does not occur not as often as it should! Your posting presents a lot of information. But a couple of things I can respond to. One, celiac disease is diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsy of the duodenum. So, pathology will need to weigh in. It's not diagnosed on gastroscopy. (At least, not as far as I know). Two, did you get blood tests for celiac disease? You will need to be eating gluten in order for those to be accurate. Three, where was the CT angiogram (of what)? I could go on and on, but thought I'd start there.
    • trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .