Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angel42

Gluten Or Stomach Virus

Hi,

Maybe someone can help me. Is there any way to tell whether you are terribly sick from gluten or if you have a stomach virus. I really never run a fever, so that would not be an indication. My stomach is KILLING ME today. There is a stomach virus going around my office but the symptoms of the virus are the same as being glutened. (terrible cramping, Big D etc) I can't think of how I may have been glutened so maybe I am actually sick or maybe I got glutened and did not know about it. I really have no idea.

Can anyone help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If the symptoms are the same for you, then it's quite possible that you won't be able to tell. In the end, it doesn't entirely matter - you've got to ride both of them out, avoiding any possible source of either.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I agree with Tarnalberry on this one. It's a tough call between which is which. The only thing I know for sure is it is not fun. Hope you feel better soon.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I go with what makes the most sense. If everyone at work is sick, and I can't attribute a glutening to anything, probably just a plain-ol' everyday virus. :(

Hope you feel better soon!

Gluten-Free since February 2006

Hi,

Maybe someone can help me. Is there any way to tell whether you are terribly sick from gluten or if you have a stomach virus. I really never run a fever, so that would not be an indication. My stomach is KILLING ME today. There is a stomach virus going around my office but the symptoms of the virus are the same as being glutened. (terrible cramping, Big D etc) I can't think of how I may have been glutened so maybe I am actually sick or maybe I got glutened and did not know about it. I really have no idea.

Can anyone help?

Hi angel42,

Like you, I really never run a fever and like you, my stomach is killing me and has been bothering me on and off for a few days now and yesterday I threw up. I don't know where you are, but I think what I have is indeed a stomach virus, especially since I was in three doctor's offices and the hospital last week; I think I picked up something and hopefully don't spread it to the people that I usually hang out with. Subtle differences might be able to tell you. For instance, when I get glutened, I don't have stomach trouble, it's usually in my lower GI and while I'm having those troubles, too, it's the stomache ache and vomiting that are different. You might be able to tell these things after a few accidental glutenings, not entirely a happy thought.

Hope you feel better soon! I plan to give it two weeks and then maybe mention something to my doctor.

dunno about you, but i usually start getting some serious stomach churning about 1/2 hour after eating gluten. then the gas starts....and lasts for several days. the only time i ever get confused is when i'm starting my period....:P

hope you get feeling better ;)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.