Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mtndog

10 Good Things About Celiac

Ok, I'm seeing a correlation here, that's three former Laugh-In fans, and we all have celiacs.....

Very interesting( I loved Artie Johnson)

John- I don't know where you came from, but you are so in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You bet your sweet bippy!

Oh, I have a good one. Didn't have to worry about my beloved dog and two cats when the pet food was contaminated because they were gluten-free too!

John- I don't know where you came from, but you are so in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You bet your sweet bippy!

I come from the planet Gluton, of course. Hence, the only defense against my superpowers are gluten B)

1. Having my own pantry that no one bothers.

2. Pamela's Chocolate cookies.

3. Being able to go on a two hour car trip and not HAVING to stop.

4. Eating all the mexican food I want.

5. Not having to eat spagetti once a week.

6. Having people ask me what Celiac is.

7. Outback Steakhouse treating me like a queen.

8. My DH and I cooking and eating together.

9. Feeling human again.

And The main one.......

10. Saving money because I'm not buying as much toilet paper and Imodium as before.

I love all the top ten reasons! :)

But mine is basically that we eat so much healthier (my husband and I) than we did a couple years ago.

My husband has also gone gluten free and he is feeling 100% better than a couple years ago. I was challanged a couple years ago "don't eat it unless you know it is 100% gluten free." I took that challenge and am very happy for doing that. My second favorite is the fact that I can travel now without knowing where all the bathrooms are. I'm much more relaxed, less stress and anxieities in my life since I have a happy body!

BamBam

Celiac has taught me compassion for others with diseases that are not so visible.

It's taught me so much about nutrition, vitamins, and minerals.

It's taught me to be patient with those in the world who just can't get it!

Contamination issues have taught me how contaminated our world is!

Knowing I have celiac has given me back the life I never thought I would have again!

I remember Edith Ann, "and that's the truth!"

I used to watch Laugh In too!!! I once even painted my body with my mother's lipstick! :lol: It took a lot of scrubbing to get off.

Hummm, verrry interesting :ph34r:

Hummm, verrry interesting :ph34r:

I think it just means celiac=a darn good sense of humor!

I like that my glutening stories could outrival the hangovers of my college freshman class. :P

Today I got to say, "'Oh yeah- you thought that 90 minute research presentation by the reference librarian was boring...try sitting in a hospital breathing into a plastic bag for 90 minutes!" (i was doing a hydrogen breath test). They all conceded that I had a much more boring day.

B:

Have to take note here. You posted two threads... 10 good and 10 bad things about being gluten free. You had so many more hits on the 10 good things. Now isn't that cool!

And if you can't laugh at yourself, who else can. (although, not happy went the other half does, as I eye him with evil eyes)

BTW: New Laugh-In thread.

*Being able to live on my own

*Being able to have a job

*Being able to handle 40+ hours a week at said job

*Working out again - no more joint pain!

*Being thankful for every day - when you're too sick to get out of bed for six months the simple act of getting out of bed is exciting.

*Makes me a more creative cook

*No more falling asleep at parties

Reading all these great things gives me hope, but I must say that it also makes me a little depressed bc I still feel like crap all the time. I have only been on the gluten free diet for almost 2 weeks so I know I have a long way to go, I just hope it will be like everyone says "you'll feel like a new person" bc then I have a lot to look forward to. Thanks for the hope guys and gals!

1. Being able to walk as far as I want for as long as I want.

2. Being able to go places and not have to be scared I'm going to have an IBS attack. :ph34r:

3. My husband doesn't think I'm a whiner/hypochondriac/drama queen anymore.

4. Being able to play with my kids.

5. Not having to fight just to stay awake..

6. No more nightmares/anxiety dreams/insomnia.

7. No more headaches.

8. Learned to cook.

9. Sunstart coconut cookies.

10. Finding such a great group of friends here. :wub:

Nancy

Reading all these great things gives me hope, but I must say that it also makes me a little depressed bc I still feel like crap all the time. I have only been on the gluten free diet for almost 2 weeks so I know I have a long way to go, I just hope it will be like everyone says "you'll feel like a new person" bc then I have a lot to look forward to. Thanks for the hope guys and gals!

You will, maybe not every day, but you will! It sneaks up on you slowly and suddenly you're like, "wow! I couldn't do that before" or "Hey my skin looks good".

Feeling so much better - about myself, life in general!

Having energy and stamina

Being able to explore/take chances - as in walking past a bathroom

I can cook!

I only eat things I can pronounce now

Having people tell me how great I look

Namaste brownies warmed up with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce :rolleyes:

Mexican food and margaritas

Making other people aware

Having my own mother tell me how much more fun I am to be around now... that IS a good thing, right? :lol:

Hear hear!!!! Isn't it lovely to be able to cook?

MY favorite thing about Celiac:

All my life people have thought I was anorexic and school counselors would try to 'talk' to me about it- until they saw me eating in the lunchroom! Without running to the bathroom after! When I was really sick with Celiac a few years ago, I was under 110 lbs and I'm 5'7'' with a large, wide bone frame. Now I weigh 134! And I didn't even lose weight the last time I had a cold! I have a butt!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

Guest celiacsher

I so agree with you about the being bedridden. Still cant stomach the gluten free pasta but love that the option is there.

Sherri

Not being bedridden anymore (prior to diagnosis).

Not taking each day for granted.

Chebe.

Gluten free Pantry mixes.

Learning to mostly enjoy cooking. Everything tastes better.

Tinkiyada pasta.

I am very thankful to Patti for all of her help in teaching me how to bake some delicious things that even my gluten eating husband loves to eat.

The cyber friends I have made on this forum, that I would never have found except for my having Celiac disease.

Redbridge beer.

This disease told me how much my husband really loves me- what an awesome thing.

A couple weeks ago my husband and I went away for a few days. During my pre-vacation shopping I discovered something.

I weigh 155 now. (You're all sworn to secrecy by the way. ;) ). But I am the same size in clothing now as when I weighed 125; medium shirts, 8-10 pants. When I was 155 and gaining, moderately symptomatic, I was an XL and a 14. :blink:

I'm still trying to figure out the math and geometry in my head on how exactly that works. I didn't have the big bloated tummy that some people get. I guess maybe I was bloated all over?

So that's my addition to the list. Being able to be an average weight and be a size 10 at the same time.

Life is good.

:D

Nancy

10) I now have a valid excuse to avoid going out to eat with the in-laws for every stupid birthday in the extended family.

9) ditto

8) ditto

7) ditto

6) ditto

5) ditto

4) ditto

3) ditto

2) ditto

1) Have I mentioned how I now have a valid excuse to avoid going out to eat with the in-laws for every stupid birthday!!?? B)

10) I now have a valid excuse to avoid going out to eat with the in-laws for every stupid birthday in the extended family.

9) ditto

8) ditto

7) ditto

6) ditto

5) ditto

4) ditto

3) ditto

2) ditto

1) Have I mentioned how I now have a valid excuse to avoid going out to eat with the in-laws for every stupid birthday!!?? B)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Little excited about that, are we?

1. Feeling good and not crappy all the time; I had begun to think that the way I was feeling was normal as I was getting older

2. Eating healthier and staying away from highly processed foods

3. Skittles are gluten-free (kinda goes against #2)

4. Creme Brulee is naturally gluten-free

5. Not having embarassing, excessive gas anymore

6. I have discovered that I actually do like fresh fruit!

7. Now that DS has been diagnosed, his behavior has improved

8. Not as cranky

9. Kinnickinnick Pizza Crusts

10. Bi-Aglut pasta...WOW!!! Kinda pricey, but a nice treat once in a while. :)

Oh, and a bonus....I almost forgot....WINE is gluten-free!!!