This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Strange Phone Call

GRUMP 1

GRUMP 1 Contributor

Our phone rang at about 8:00 this morning. Of course no one was there that time of morning. You know one of those calls that just make you angry when they say nothing. So I hit *69 to see who would be so rude. The call back number I got was 999-999-9999. Now I did not hit redial because I was only half awake and besides that it just kind of hit me funny. Just wondering if any one else has ever gotten this number and what it is? I googled it and out of a billion web pages the one I looked at was some thing about myths. Then it went onto say some thing about Block buster, and the devil.

So thats my story and I'm sticking with it, lol.

No seriously any one know any thing about it.

:o:blink::unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Good thing you didn't call that back. Most 900 numbers are the ones that charge by the minute and who knows what country it came from. They were most likely looking for a new customer. Just my guess.

beaglemania Rookie

freaky :o very, very weird.

2kids4me Contributor

Found this - basically its the lastest in telemarketers, nothing sinister, just annoying

Sandy

Oh, those wacky, fun-loving telemarketers. What will the tricksters will come up with next? This nines thing is just the latest. Once upon a time, caller ID had some call-screening value. A telemarketer certainly isn't going to reveal his true phone number when he or his autodialer phone you up, so your ID box says "Unknown Caller" or some such euphemism. You, being no fool, don't answer, since that's why you got caller ID in the first place. If you're really on the telemarketer warpath, you might have installed the blocking feature that won't even ring your phone if the caller doesn't have an identifying phone number.

So what's a poor telemarketer to do? Well, to the rescue come companies that sell and install phone networks for big office buildings. They work through what's called a PBX, a switching center for a company's individual phone extensions. One of a PBX's sneakier features is the ability to be programmed to attach any number the user wants as the identifier on an outgoing call. Like, maybe, 999-999-9999. So your mystery caller is no mystery. And also no surprise. Just somebody trying to sell you something. Or some other body who doesn't want you to be able to call him back directly by reading his private-line number from your caller ID thingy. It's not just telemarketers who reprogram PBXs.

Open Original Shared Link

Mango04 Enthusiast

Whenever Blockbuster calls to tell me my movies are overdue, the number on my phone is 999-999-9999, so it's probably just something like that....

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

My ID will say blockbuster when calling. We get the 999999999 number and it was this junk debt collector trying to get us to own up to a debt for a company we never heard of...used to harass us non-stop all hours and tell me my boyfriend was a lazy SOB and I am with a deadbeat. I filed a report with the attorney general, because we are on the DNC list.

Plus, the name of the Company is Allied Interstate, if you google them, all kinds of horror stories come up.

confused Community Regular

I have never gotten all the 9's but i have gotten 000-00-0000, that drives me nuts. I do know there was a scan were they would call and ask if u know spanish, then if u say yes, then they will let someone call from mexico on your phone line to call someone in the states

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I have never gotten all the 9's but i have gotten 000-00-0000, that drives me nuts. I do know there was a scan were they would call and ask if u know spanish, then if u say yes, then they will let someone call from mexico on your phone line to call someone in the states

paula

That's news to me...strange...So who pays for the phone call then?

confused Community Regular
That's news to me...strange...So who pays for the phone call then?

you would have to pay for it, it happened to my moms best friend at home. If they call me and ask me if i know spanish i hang up. They have called here many times.

paula

Lisa Mentor

I relate to the phone as I do with my computer....if I don't know who is knocking at the door, I don't answer. But, the 999-999-9999 is odd.

Archived