Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Izak's Mom

Gluten-free Moisturizer?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a gluten-free heavy-duty moisturizer? My son is SO SO SOO dry and scaly and rashy, and I'm hesitant to use anything 'regular' on him because it seems that no one can ever confirm if the 'fragrance' or 'parfum' or whatever is safe. And Vaseline just gets him too greasy - I really need something that sinks into the skin. And then I read someone's post about vitamin e oil being derived from wheat germ - ACK!! So, any suggestions would be SO very welcome!!

Thanks,

E

DS1&only(so far!): born 7/12/05 * chronic diarrhea from age 5 mos. * WF/gluten-free from age 9 mos. * NO MORE LOOSE POOP!

10/19/2006 Tested positive for DQ2 Heterodimer (HLA DQA1*05/DQB1*02) and negative for HLA DQ8. Have followup appt. with ped. GI in December!

Update: Told GI I was unwilling to do serum tests (give him gluten). GI said if what I was doing works, then keep on keepin' on! Happy, healthy & nearly two now! Occasional rash & loose poop from drinking bathwater, so switching to all gluten-free beauty/personal products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Dove moisturizers are almost all gluten-free. They clearly label for wheat, oats, barley, and rye, and I use both their body lotions (all of which are gluten-free, that I've read) and their facial lotion (I've only seen one of those with oats, and I believe it's a sensitive skin variety). I have *very* dry skin, and their stuff does the trick.

I hope you can find one for your son that works!

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

Dove moisturizers are almost all gluten-free. They clearly label for wheat, oats, barley, and rye, and I use both their body lotions (all of which are gluten-free, that I've read) and their facial lotion (I've only seen one of those with oats, and I believe it's a sensitive skin variety). I have *very* dry skin, and their stuff does the trick.

I hope you can find one for your son that works!

California Baby is expensive but good and gluten free :)

Your best bet might be something pure and natural, such as coconut oil or olive oil. Natural oils sink into the skin and are surprisingly not greasy at all. Sometimes I put coconut oil on my (very acne prone, oily) face and it works very well. California Baby is good too.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I use Burt's Bees Hand Salve, and Vaseline Intensive Therapy. :)

Gluten-free, Vegan

Does anyone have any suggestions for a gluten-free heavy-duty moisturizer? My son is SO SO SOO dry and scaly and rashy, and I'm hesitant to use anything 'regular' on him because it seems that no one can ever confirm if the 'fragrance' or 'parfum' or whatever is safe. And Vaseline just gets him too greasy - I really need something that sinks into the skin. And then I read someone's post about vitamin e oil being derived from wheat germ - ACK!! So, any suggestions would be SO very welcome!!

Thanks,

E

Dear Izak's Mom,

Johnson's Baby Oil is safe! It is terrific! I get incredibly dry skin on my legs and feet. You just exfoliate by having a mix of sugar and water paste on for 15 minutes, then use a rough loofah to slough off the dead skin cells. Then, you apply the oil!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville