This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Safeway Products

I3Daniel

I3Daniel Apprentice

Hello all, I thought I'd share this information...

After a recent unpleasant experience at Fry's (Kroger) grocery store (they would give me absolutely no information on their gluten-free products) I contacted Safeway to see if they could provide a list of their gluten-free products. I received a massive response, which is an immense help, especially considering I've only been gluten-free for 4 days! :) Shopping has taken about 4 times longer than it used to...

Of course, as with anything else, be sure to check the label before consumption/use of these products, as their ingredients may change at any time.

The following is the response I received from Safeway:

We received your request for information on Safeway private label products for those troubled with gluten-induced enteropathy or celiac-sprue. While we are somewhat familiar with the malabsorption syndrome, we do not presume to prescribe any of our products for any specific diet(s). On the other hand, we are happy to provide what information we have which might be useful to you.

We have over 5,000 different products in our Safeway private label product line and we do not have a listing of ingredients available for the general public on each of these items so we are not able to comply with all requests. We do suggest that you read carefully all ingredients labeling information on products that you purchase.

We can tell you that our frozen vegetables and fruits should be okay since they do not contain any other ingredients but the vegetables or fruits themselves. The exception to this would be our frozen vegetables in sauce.

Another group of items that would be acceptable are non-breaded seafood items, poultry that has not been breaded or stuffed, and our Lucerne/SELECT eggs. In other words, all fresh meats, seafood's and eggs.

Acceptable dairy items would be all fluid milks, except chocolate milk when starch is added and the source is not listed, cottage cheese and natural cheeses. Most bakery items we believe would not be acceptable for use in this diet.

We have taken the initiative to solicit all of our suppliers for lists of their products that are gluten free. This list is attached for your easy reference.

As near as we can determine, the above information is correct; however, we cannot guarantee that changes will not occur from time to time in our ingredient listings, or vendor changes that would affect processing methods or raw ingredients. We do appreciate your interest in Safeway Brand products and hope that we have been of some help to you.

A list of Celiac Sprue/gluten-free food products

SELECT Brand

Basmati Rice

Baking Nuts (Almonds)

BBQ Sauce (Original, Honey Mustard, Hickory Smoked and Honey Smoked)

Capers

Clear (sparkling water beverages, all flavors)

Cheese Fondue

Chocolate Chips

Cocoa Mix

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

azmom Newbie

Wow!! That's a heck of a list!! Safeway is my favorite regular grocery store. I'll have to peruse the list more closely to see if I can expand my list of usual items. How appropriate that Safeway should provide a list so we can shop the "safe way"! (I know...bad pun...but I couldn't resist!)

I3Daniel Apprentice

Haha! You're right!! You're so punny :)

I've been a Fry's shopper for years and years (it's always been my mom's favorite, and always seems to have the best prices). The response from Safeway and the extreme lack of help I received at Fry's, however, has changed my opinion, and I will definitely be shopping at Safeway from now on--of course, with the exception of Trader Joe's :)

I've also been thinking of trying Sprout's. Have you tried or had any luck there? I know they have a lot of fresh produce, but I haven't been there in a while. I imagine they may also be quite pricey.

Thanks for your input!

Sami

azmom Newbie

Yes, I also shop at Trader Joes, Sprouts, Sunflower Market and Wild Oats. I find different things at each. (Such a pain!) Not sure where you are located, but my Sprouts in Tucson carries alot of Glutino items that my husband and son enjoy (Pizza, alfredo pasta, mac & cheese). Sprouts is the only place I can find them. It is pricy, but worth it to keep the teenager gluten free.

We order bread from Kinnikinnick (tapioca cheese rice bread and their chocolate glazed donuts are awesome!!)

FYI: I recently heard that Wild Oats was bought by Whole Foods, so that may change the choices there.

Good luck! ;)

I3Daniel Apprentice

Interesting...

I don't see that there is a Sunflower Market near me (according to their website).

There is, however, a Wild Oats market not too far from my work! I live in the Phoenix area, and work downtown. I'm excited to check it out!!

I've got to go to Sprouts! I didn't realize the Glutino had those types of products available. Daniel will love to try some gluten-free mac'n cheese!!!

I ordered the white sandwich bread from Kinnickinnick, should be here in a couple of days, I'll let you know what we think. Hopefully it will be good news :)

Thanks for the great info!

Sami

Felidae Enthusiast

I was eating the Primo Taglio Imported Swiss cheese and now I know why I got sick. It's not gluten-free.

I3Daniel Apprentice

Felidae,

I'm glad you've now figured it out! This is pretty tough to get the hang of. Some things that seem like they should be naturally gluten-free aren't, and vice versa. It's really frustrating at times! Hopefully it gets easier with time.

I'm so glad I could help!

Take care,

Sami

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
astyanax Rookie

does anyone know if the 'harvest medley' salads are gluten free? at the top they say 'safeway select' and they are those salads that are prewashed ready to eat. one of them has frosted almonds and sweetened dried cranberries and the almonds have 'natural and artificial flavors'. if anyone knows that'd be great ! these salad bags are so convenient and the nuts/fruit adds some flavor!

confused Community Regular
does anyone know if the 'harvest medley' salads are gluten free? at the top they say 'safeway select' and they are those salads that are prewashed ready to eat. one of them has frosted almonds and sweetened dried cranberries and the almonds have 'natural and artificial flavors'. if anyone knows that'd be great ! these salad bags are so convenient and the nuts/fruit adds some flavor!

I have no idea. maybe call and check and let us all know. Those sound really good.

paula

TimSpfd Newbie

Has anyone been eating the Safeway brand potato chips or corn ships they list here? I have yet to find a potato chip that isn't cross contaminated. It would be great if theirs are ok.

Thanks for getting the great list, I will definitely be making a trip there soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Momelf Newbie
Has anyone been eating the Safeway brand potato chips or corn ships they list here? I have yet to find a potato chip that isn't cross contaminated. It would be great if theirs are ok.

Thanks for getting the great list, I will definitely be making a trip there soon.

New to this forum. Seeing is a reply will bump this up to the top. Good info!

grantschoep Contributor

When I emailed Kroger directly about individual products, they did reply directly, and also sent me a paper gluten-free list. This was for the Kroger out here in CO, Albertsons. But I contacted Kroger them selves. Might be helpful to try that route.

• 10 months later...
-CaRLy- Newbie

Does anyone know if I can buy gluten free flour from safeway?

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Does anyone know if I can buy gluten free flour from safeway?

Carly,

It probably depends on where you are. Near me (Natomas area in Sacramento, CA) the Safeway has a small gluten-free section, that I seem to remember had gluten-free flour. The Ralphs has a better selection, so I shop there mostly.

If you post where you are at, there will probably be someone who can recommend places to shop.

Geoff

• 1 month later...
Westerngirl Newbie

I'm so glad that I discovered your posting. I shop at Safeway and this list will make my life so much easier. I'll still read labels though just in case. My local safeway has only ever been helpful and will even order in special produts if you request them.

Rabbit280 Newbie

Wow, finally a list of actual products we can buy! :P

I have been looking on the internet, and have had a hard time with finding out what regular products are out there that are wheat-free. I have not been very successful so far. :(

Thanks for posting this great list from Safeway. I am sad that King Soopers (Kroger) isn't helpful with their products. I have one really close to me in Colorado, and would like to continue shopping there. Maybe I can ask the next time I am there to see if they are more helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
Asillem4 Newbie

I ate Lucerne yogurt on Sunday and had an almost immediate gut reaction. It was the pomegranite tangerine flavor which was on clearance. I plan to call their customer service # tomorrow to find out if there's a chance they changed their recipe and have some kind of flavoring tainted with gluten in that one flavor. It was a classic gluten reaction!

• 3 months later...
CherylZ Newbie

HI

I contacted Safeway specifically about their Signature Cafe Roasted Chicken that lists "natural flavorings" and their answer was very vague...as a matter of fact, they said and I quote "Visit your local Safeway store and speak with any of our Deli Department associates, who will be glad to assist you". Guess what, they brought out the label and had no clue what gluten was...surprise, surprise

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

You may want to call Safeway to get an updated list. This list I have, which they mailed to me, is dated March '08. This list also has their Organics products as well.

• 5 years later...
AuntJessica Newbie

Even though I realize that you might be in the USA like myself anf this list is for Canada it is a whole lot easier to understand than what they gave you:

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

You are responding to an original post from 2007. I'm sure the products have changed. In fact, in the US , now, Safeway has a line of gluten-free cookies, pastas, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Lizzo Newbie

the safeway waffle are actually better than the vans ones, IMHO.... I've tried a few other mixes (cc cookie, brownies) and I was pretty happy! I think safeway/vons is doing more than the average grocery store to try and provide quality gluten-free foods at affordable prices. The only place I like shopping better is Sprouts. 

Archived