Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brown213

New And Not Sure

Hi,

I'm not sure if I have full blown Celiac or just gluten intol or just crazy. I've been sick for 9 months now and it's pretty clear that food is some of the cause of my feeling badly.

I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed that their problems bubble up at certain times during their cycle?

I am nauseated at least half the month - kind of like morning sickness. I also throw up or come close a few times a month. It's all related to my cycle and I have heard of something called PME - premenstral exacerbation which means your hormones exacerbate an underlying problem.

I've lost 12 pounds which is not so good for me since I was already on the thin side.

Even more curious - I never had these symptoms this badly until I took Paxil for 4 doses. Had a very severe reaction including loss of appetite, nausea and vomitting. Those symptoms never left.

Any info you all have would be great. I have found message boards to be more enlightening than most doctors. No offense, but if they haven't seen it they tend not to believe it.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi,

I'm not sure if I have full blown Celiac or just gluten intol or just crazy. I've been sick for 9 months now and it's pretty clear that food is some of the cause of my feeling badly.

I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed that their problems bubble up at certain times during their cycle?

I am nauseated at least half the month - kind of like morning sickness. I also throw up or come close a few times a month. It's all related to my cycle and I have heard of something called PME - premenstral exacerbation which means your hormones exacerbate an underlying problem.

I've lost 12 pounds which is not so good for me since I was already on the thin side.

Even more curious - I never had these symptoms this badly until I took Paxil for 4 doses. Had a very severe reaction including loss of appetite, nausea and vomitting. Those symptoms never left.

Any info you all have would be great. I have found message boards to be more enlightening than most doctors. No offense, but if they haven't seen it they tend not to believe it.

Thanks,

Lisa

For both me and my DD they did. We also had severe PMS symptoms and for years I thought everyone had tummy trouble when 'that time' came. Eventually for me the tummy trouble became constant but for many years it did seem to be linked to my period. I also had unexplainable trouble concieving, it took almost 10 years before I had my first live baby.

It makes total sense to me that your symptoms are more severe around your cycle. Do you have cramping with your cycle? If you are it makes total sense that the smooth muscles of your bowels would be affected since things are kicked up anyway. As for the paxil... Could it have further irritated your digestive tract and made the syptoms surface?

Dr.s are people and they are very capable of making mistakes. Just because a Dr. does not seem to understand your symtoms does not mean they are not there.

Unrelated case in point... I have celiac symptoms when I am pregnant. I tested negative. The Dr. looked at me like I was nuts. Okay... I am secure enough to cope with that.

Antoerh case in point... I walked into the Dr. office on Friday and told him soemthing was not right. His attitude was, oh, your alright. 2 days later my water broke and I gave birth to a 3 pound baby. (Who by the way has celiac disease now at age 4.)

There is a lot that doctors understand, but there is also a whole lot that they do not.

I know it is hard, but if you can gather strength elsewhere and carry on you can cope with this. My mother is a nurse and there seems to be a medical mindset of, if we don't know about it it does not exist. (Shhh, don't tell my mom I said that. I know that is a blanket statement and there are some who do not feel that way. But, I see it a lot in the world today.)

One more thing, my daughter and I both have a lot of non food related IBS symptoms also. IF I get stressed, or if Kimiko is late going someplace it can set her off to struggle the whole day.

The darling will not take immodium. She would rather be sick than take it. SHRUG...

Hang in there.

Marianne

I am nauseated at least half the month -

Hi,

I too had a terrible time around that time of the month. I was not yet diagnosed with Celiac but did get diagnosed with Endometriosis. This will give you terrible cramps, D, pain etc during your period. They are starting to find a link between celiac and endo. (surprise surprise) I have since then had a complete hystorectomy (age 27, Im now 31). I was diagnosed Celiac at 28. I am not able to take HRT due to the fact that endo thrives on estrogen. I wish I had been diagnosed earlier as it would have saved all the premature labor and preventitive measures I went through with my pregnancies. fortunately for me I have a primary dr that is wonderful and values the research I have done. That is the kind of dr you need to find as there are great ones out there. Celiac almost never surfaces by itself...there are normally other autoimmune diseases with it. Remember it is your health and your body. Please don't let anyone tell you it is all in your head. Get the test needed so you can have peace of mind.

Good luck and God bless

Jodi