This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Developing Symptoms Post Diagnosis?

sclarkey2003

sclarkey2003 Newbie

My question is essentially whether or not you can develop symptoms even after being diagnosed with celiac disease while symptom-free.

When I was diagnosed with celiac disease 3 months ago, I had no symptoms. (I used to get symptoms 3 years ago but they went away and I quickly forgot about it) Since I was diagnosed, I've been pretty strict with my diet. I cheat very rarely, and only because I never got symptoms and it's been kind of tough adjusting immediately. But the past couple of days I've been getting these absolutely ridiculous stomach aches. Tonight I went out to dinner and had a burger with no bun, but I didn't ask them to clean off the grill. The same thing happened two days ago. Is it possible that I'm getting a little bit of gluten in my food and I've become more sensitive to it now that I haven't had any in my diet? (or is it probably just that I've gotten some stomach aches and am making too big of a deal out of it...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I notice that when I get gluten slips now it is so much more painful and worse than when I was sick all the time. You may just be having accidents. Maybe you need to limit your diet to foods you know are really really safe for the next few days to make sure your okay.

lovegrov Collaborator

It could be either but many people do report having much worse reactions as time goes on. This is not unusual.

richard

• 1 month later...
WSLIZ Newbie

Ok so my question is this..........I just was diagnosed last week......but i dont understand because i wasnt ever like SICK from this, all i got was a lot of the runs :P What do you all mean when u say you were sick. I never lost weight nothing like the symptoms.....now im wondering if i continue on my way eating gluten whats wrong with some diarhia? its not like i feel sick from it? i was diagnosed through blood tests and the more i hear the more i feel i dont have this....or maybe im in denial? i dunno....i just feel like I dont feel sick if I eat gluten so why should i stop and then if i ever eat it again actually feel sick? I dunno if this makes sence to anyone but just whats in my head. THanks!

~Liz~

num1habsfan Rising Star

now, here are some Symptoms of a gluten allergy, and whatever has a star beside it is what I experience:

Head:

Feeling dizzy or faint*

headaches

migraines

heavy feeling*

--------

Eyes:

Watery*

itchy*

red*

swollen

tired*

sore*

blurred vision*

heavy feeling in eyelids

--------

Nose:

Runny nose*

sneezing*

itching*

burning*

excessive mucus*

blocked nose*

sinusitis

--------

EARS:

ringing in the ears*

soreness*

loss of hearing*

earrache

burning sensations

itching*

--------

THROAT AND MOUTH:

soreness*

sore gums*

swollen tongue

mouth ulcers

loss of taste*

hoarseness*

cough*

choking fits

itching of the roof of mouth*

bad breath*

--------

HEART AND LUNGS:

chest pains*

palpitations

rapid heartbeat

asthma*

ches congestion*

tightness across chest*

shallow breathing*

excessive sighing

breathlessness*

catarrh*

---------

GASTRO-INTESTINAL:

nausea*

vomiting

stomach cramps*

diahrrea*

constipation*

swollen stomach

bloated feeling after eating*

flatulence*

feeling 'full up'long after meals

stomach pains*

poor appetite*

cravings for foods*

dyspepsia*

-----------

SKIN:

rashes*

hives*

inexplicable bruises*

easily marked skin*

eczema

excessively pale colour*

dermatitis

itching*

soreness

redness

sores*

acne

-----------

OTHER PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS:

weakness*

cramp*

cold hands and feet*

flushing*

shivering fits

trembling*

aches and pains in the joints*

swelling of the limbs

aches and pains in the muscles*

swelling of the face, hands, feet, ankles

constant feeling of hunger*

gorging with food

oedema

obesity

---------

BEHAVIOURAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL SYMPTOMS:

nervousness*

anxiety*

panic attacks

depression*

apathy*

irritability*

day-dreaming

confusion*

restlessness*

poor concentration*

mood swings*

agression

unreasonable giggling or weeping*

speech difficulties*

couldnt-care-less attitude*

general feeling of misery*

excessive sleeping*

hyperactivity

insomnia*

And I can tell you, I dont think I had ANY of these symptoms before getting celiac disease..

~lisa~

lovegrov Collaborator

Liz, you are in denial.

The blood tests simply do not give false positives. If the blood tests were positive and you have any symptoms (diarrhea), then you're talking nearly a 100 percent chance you have it. Some people are diagnosed with no symptoms at all.

I had almost no symptoms, not even diarrhea, or so I thought. I never realized that the mouth sores and constant headaches were due to celiac. I thought my lack of energy was because I was getting older and wasn't exercising like I should.

If you continue eating gluten it won't be just diarrhea. You'll start getting a cascade of symptoms and could end up like I did, in the hospital essentially dying of malnutrition (I didn't know I had celiac until I was diagnosed in the hospital). 11 days in the hospital and 10 weeks off work. It took 10 months to fully recover. It appears I was fortunate and didn't end up with other problems, like more autoimmune diseases or cancer, but those are also possible complications.

richard

tarnalberry Community Regular

I wasn't very sick either. But if you're celiac, you're celiac. Getting "the runs" means that you're not going to be absorbing nutrients. It also indicates you are indeed reacting to gluten and damage is being done to the intestines. Over the long run, untreated celiacs - even those without significant symptoms - are at higher risk for intestinal cancers, additional autoimmune diseases, and dying early. It's not worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived