This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Cholesterol Is High, Bad Is Low?

3boysprmom

3boysprmom Newbie

Hi-I'm new here and am trying to see if I really do have celiac. I actually started seeing a diet doctor who has patiently run tests and listened to me and my symptoms. He suggested trying a gluten free diet. I did not believe I had celiac at first despite having all of the symptoms on many of the lists I've read. I ate sushi and had wasabi and soy sauce and ended up sick to my stomach and in bed with a migraine that was awful. I decided it was worth a shot and started a new diet plan. Not realizing that "rice crispies" were not on the gluten free list, I had them a few days later and same problem...terrible migraine. I've done pretty good over the past two weeks but fell off the wagon over the holiday weekend. My symptoms have returned, terrible stomach pains, nausea, migraines,etc. I will probably have blood work done shortly to confirm that celiac is the diagnosis.

However....the route of my blog here is that I was wondering if any of you out there had high cholesterol. The high number was for the good cholesterol though, not the bad. My bad is actually low. Just another wierd thing in my blood work that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

Thanks for reading.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I have never seen anything specific to suggest that odd cholesterol (in the good way) is related to celiac, but if you're not absorbing fat properly... maybe...?

One thing though, if you're going to have blood tests, you MUST BE EATING GLUTEN for them to be valid.

CMCM Rising Star

Well, for what it's worth, my mom was diagnosed with celiac disease 40+ years ago, and although she stopped eating gluten then, and she is a tiny person, not overweight, her cholesterol has always been high (but the good HDL was always high). For myself, although only about 20 lbs over my ideal, I have fairly high cholesterol too (257 at last test), but my HDL is also fairly high. I have always eaten a healthy diet, but I was a bit of a carb junkie, and thru a lot of carbs your insulin levels get/stay boosted, and it is now known that this process contributes more to high cholesterol than does eating fat. I've been on a low carb diet lately, also fairly low fat, so I look forward to getting a cholesterol test to see if things have improved.

I don't know that I recall reading anything about a high cholesterol link with celiac disease, though. Maybe it's just individual, and my doctor seems to think there's a genetic component, although good diet and frequent exercise supposedly helps.

Nancym Enthusiast

There's a genetic link to having high HDL that is associated with a longevity gene I think. Do you have long lived ancestors?

Archived