Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckmom

School & Celiac Disease

My 6 year old daughter is in Kindergarten. We were diagnosed with celiac disease 2.5 weeks ago and I don't know what the school needs to know about celiac disease. She already knows not to share foods since she has a peanut/tree nut allergy. She has a safe snack bag in her class room. But am I missing anything that the school needs to know?

Also, a big thank you to everyone for all of the great info. you have already given my family. We really appreciate all of the help and support - this site is great!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know there is a letter that you can supply to the school on this site. I'm sure that some of the moms can find it for you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

My 6 year old daughter is in Kindergarten. We were diagnosed with celiac disease 2.5 weeks ago and I don't know what the school needs to know about celiac disease. She already knows not to share foods since she has a peanut/tree nut allergy. She has a safe snack bag in her class room. But am I missing anything that the school needs to know?

Also, a big thank you to everyone for all of the great info. you have already given my family. We really appreciate all of the help and support - this site is great!!

I've got one that is a pdf file

http://www.dallasrock.org/pdf/SchoolGFList.pdf

Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07

**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:

Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner

dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

One thing I had to make sure the school knew was to call me right away if DD forgot her lunch (it happens!), though you won't have to worry about that until next year I guess. She would forget her lunch and eat anyway. I had to reiterate that I was too be called as soon as the missing lunch was discovered so I could bring something safe for her to eat.

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

Also you want to make sure Art supplies are ok for her to use, some paints and clay's are questionable. Play-dough is a No.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

It was also suggested in an article that depending on how your child actually reacts to gluten, you may want to make sure that the nurse is aware of the situation and if needed your child will have access to the private nurse's restroom.

We found it helpful to have a batch of gluten-free brownies in the freezer at school so that if there were any celebrations, like birthdays, she would not feel left out. Also I'd be sure to continually check in with the nurse and teacher about mood changes and such. My daughter's main symptoms are irritability and tiredness, so if she gets gluten in her system and says she feels sick they still may not let her go to the nurse to rest if they think she is just trying to get out of doing the work (my daughter is in 2nd grade). Obviously if she has pain or vomiting there would be no question. But she does not have those symptoms any more, just the crankiness.

I would also talk to the other parents as much as possible and even go in and read a book to the class about celiac. It will make your daughter feel better understood and it will reduce the chance that another child or parent will mistakenly give her a food she can't eat.

Good luck

Mother of 2 kids (one with Celiac) and 23 pet mice :)

Arts and crafts can be a real problem. Stuff like pasta, wheat paste and food related things like gingerbread houses. Teachers don't always understand this because the kid isn't necessarily eating what it is they are using. However, I've volunteered to help with some of these projects and it's astounding how many kids will stick their fingers in their mouths while working. I hadn't realized it because my own daughter knows not to do this.

Make sure you have a quick private meeting with the teacher, your child where you will discuss the urgent need for a bathroom. (Too urgent to ask the teacher sometimes) Make sure there is a liberal bathroom policy that will not be abused.

L.

Michigan