This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mission Tortilla Chips

Cynbd

Cynbd Contributor

Has anyone noticed that the 'gluten free' labeling is no longer on the bag of Mission Tortilla Chips?

I am afraid to buy them now....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiacgirls Apprentice

Yes. I noticed the tortilla rounds did not say gluten free. I usually buy the tortilla strips which have always said gluten-free but my husband brought these home. I did feel bad after I ate them. I can't say for sure it was a gluten reaction because I didn't get irritable and moody like I think I do after having gluten. I did have bloating and a stomach ache. Whatever, it was, I will not eat those again!

I will still buy the strips if they say gluten free.

hez Enthusiast

I have also noticed this change in the packaging. The website states that some things are made in the same factory as wheat. It was not clear why the removal of gluten-free on the package. I sent Mission an e-mail asking why they have done this. If they reply I will post their answer.

Hez

Cynbd Contributor

I sent them an email after I posted my comment. I will let you all know what they say "when" they respond.

I just bought the big bag if strips at Costco, and they say gluten-free. It's just a lotta chips -- I like the smaller bags from the grocery store...

Chow,

Cynbd Contributor

Here is my reply from Mission Foods: [sigh]

Dear Customer:

Although our corn products (including corn tortillas, chips, tostadas and taco shells) still do not contain any gluten, the FDA has been working on issuing a final ruling on the issue of "gluten free product". We decided as a company to remove gluten free from our packaging until the final ruling is passed, and then we will make adjustment in our packaging, if any. The last update we have from the FDA is that they have a proposal on this issue. If you would like to get further information on this ruling, you can visit the FDA website.

Open Original Shared Link

Mission Foods

Sweetfudge Community Regular

*cry* i didn't notice until after i'd done all my grocery shopping, and brought home our monthly stock of them. i don't know what to do. i might just stick w/ my fritos and let the husband eat them all. that pisses me off, b/c when i was dx'ed, mission chips were the first thing i discovered was gluten-free! i even wrote to mission and told them how happy i was to see the gluten-free label on their food. :angry: guess it's time for another letter....

hez Enthusiast

My guess is they are still gluten-free. I still eat them mostly because I like them. For some reason it sounds like the legal department had a hand in this?

Hez

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived