This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Neurological Symptoms, Hormone Problems & Insomnia?

Melisma

Melisma Newbie

Yesterday afternoon I received the results of a stool test confirming that I have a gluten sensitivity. I intend to go gluten free right away.

Since February, my stomach and gut have been hurting etc. I'm relieved to find out the reason why. My question is about other symptoms that I'm experiencing and whether they can be connected to gluten sensitivity. My hormones have obviously changed recently because my period returned last month 8 months postpartum. With it has come chronic insomnia and strange neurological symptoms: burning at the back of my head, pressure in my ears, a stiff painful neck, pain that shifts the whole length of my spine, a stiff spine, occasionally my hands and feet sweat and feel numb. Sometimes I get waves of "burning" chills along my spine and back and into my hands and feet. This is all worse at night. When the waves of symptoms come at night, I also feel panicky (but I don't feel short of breath like as in a classic panic attack). I am exhausted during the day and feel weak and shaky. Can gluten sensitivity be related to hormonal problems or explain any of my seemingly neurological or nervous system issues? Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I am not experiencing any impaired motor control.

Thanks in Advance!

Melisma

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Have you been checked for diabetes? That can cause neuropathy, but so can gluten. What hormones are an issue? You should see a doctor and tell them all your symptoms. It might just be gluten intolerance but you should let them check you out too. I had the anxiety and insomnia when I had Graves disease (thyroid juicing up too much).

Melisma Newbie

Hi Nancy

I've gone to docs a couple times with this episode. My routine bloodwork is all normal. I've even had the extra testing on thyroid and it comes back normal. I have a neurologist appt. on Monday...

Melisma

Aunt Poppy Rookie

Melisma, I had exactly the same symptoms except that I also had jerky movements of the hands, arms, legs and feet when I laid down to go to sleep. It all drove me crazy and scared me to death. After several blood tests, a colonoscopy and biopsy of the small intestine, my GI insists I do not have Celiac (I have sent my stool to Enterolab for further testing.) I do have IBS after taking several rounds of antibiotics and was hospitalized. That was six weeks ago and I am just now coming around. I went gluten free two weeks ago and followed a very strict diet (baked potato, rice, banana, small amount of yogurt, chicken breasts, lima beans and apple sauce) and I am better. I still have some 'jerks' , periodic burning chills and am weak. I am alos taking Platinum Plus and a probiotic. Those seemed to really help and get me started feeling some better. The biggest relief is knowing what was happening. My friend and chiopractor says the burning chills and jerks are from stool passing along the inflamed nerves of the intestine. Once the intestestines heal that will all end and it is better now. Like you I felt awful and am still not absorbing much nutrition, but I eat several times a day and drink gatorade and Pedialyte. The Pedialyte will replace necessary electrolytes. Don't give up. I have a long way to go, but am definitely better and had every symptom you had except the neck and spine pain-I had headaches. My chiopractor has helped more than anyone with accupuncture and I NEVER thought I would be going to a chiopractor, especially for accupuncture.

Yesterday afternoon I received the results of a stool test confirming that I have a gluten sensitivity. I intend to go gluten free right away.arted on the right track. Your drug store should carry them or be able to get them.

Since February, my stomach and gut have been hurting etc. I'm relieved to find out the reason why. My question is about other symptoms that I'm experiencing and whether they can be connected to gluten sensitivity. My hormones have obviously changed recently because my period returned last month 8 months postpartum. With it has come chronic insomnia and strange neurological symptoms: burning at the back of my head, pressure in my ears, a stiff painful neck, pain that shifts the whole length of my spine, a stiff spine, occasionally my hands and feet sweat and feel numb. Sometimes I get waves of "burning" chills along my spine and back and into my hands and feet. This is all worse at night. When the waves of symptoms come at night, I also feel panicky (but I don't feel short of breath like as in a classic panic attack). I am exhausted during the day and feel weak and shaky. Can gluten sensitivity be related to hormonal problems or explain any of my seemingly neurological or nervous system issues? Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I am not experiencing any impaired motor control.

Thanks in Advance!

Melisma

marciab Enthusiast
My hormones have obviously changed recently because my period returned last month 8 months postpartum. With it has come chronic insomnia and strange neurological symptoms: burning at the back of my head, pressure in my ears, a stiff painful neck, pain that shifts the whole length of my spine, a stiff spine, occasionally my hands and feet sweat and feel numb. Sometimes I get waves of "burning" chills along my spine and back and into my hands and feet. This is all worse at night. When the waves of symptoms come at night, I also feel panicky (but I don't feel short of breath like as in a classic panic attack). I am exhausted during the day and feel weak and shaky. Can gluten sensitivity be related to hormonal problems or explain any of my seemingly neurological or nervous system issues? Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I am not experiencing any impaired motor control.Thanks in Advance!Melisma

Melissa,

Definitely see your doctor, but keep in mind that gluten could be causing a lot of these symptoms too.

I think you have a couple of things going on here ... You said you just had your first period 8 months post partum. That's a very long time to go without a period.

I entered menopause (no periods) last June and the waves of symptoms you have sound a lot like my hot flashes. Before I actually break out into a sweat, I wake up from a dead sleep, heart pounding and feel panicky. You don't have to sweat when a hormone rush happens. Lucky for me I always break out in a sweat from head to toe, so I know it's my hormones.

I have had all kinds of nuerological symptoms related to gluten. Ataxia, myoclonus ... Luckily, many of them have been resolved just by eliminating gluten.

And your weakness and skakiness could be from low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Those are two very normal symptoms for hypoglycemia and it is common with celiac. Try eating a meal (protein is a must and some of us have to eat meat) every 2 - 3 hours and see how you do. Avoid sweets and caffeine. Your doctor can run a glucose panel on you, but you can also just eat every few hours to see if it helps ...

Marcia

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I had a lot of GI issues, problems with my hands and feet tingling and going numb, and or pain in my hands and feet, and insomnia. I hadn't actually realized how bad my sleep was until after going gluten free and actually getting a good nights sleep!

Geoff

Archived