Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silverfyre

A Loaded-with-gluten Question

Hello,

My name is Chris and I'm a celiac.

I'm sure that one's been done to death but I couldn't resist. :ph34r:

Anyways, I have been gluten free for two years now and I have done what all of you have done: hunted through everything in our diet and house to make sure it doesn't have gluten in it.

My loving wife (God bless her and all the others who support us along the way) and I have been through. We only buy gluten free products that have gluten-free on the label or are from a company that lists gluten.

We have taken every step we can think of.

AND I still have the "Dreaded D". You all know what I am alluding too. It gets us in the "end" if you get my drift.

Being on the gluten free diet has helped some but I still have a lot of bad days. I've been on Imodium for several months now and it helps just a bit, not too much, and I'm beginning to worry about the long term effects of taking it for so long.

Do any of you still suffer from the "D" even though you have been gluten-free for a long time? I guess I'm just fishing for some advice here and maybe a little advice on what I can do to maybe help this.

Well, that's all for now.

It's a pleasure to finally find a great group of folk like yourselves. Been lurking long enough to see that I'm going to love it here.

Someone on this board a while back before I started visiting posted a long discussion about how some still feel symptoms many months after going gluten-free. I was recently diagnosed in Feb and really took her research into yeast overgrowth to heart b/c the symptoms are so much the same. I am now eating a very large container of plain yogurt with fresh fruit every two days. I am hoping that will help me greatly. Momma Goose however is the Board Expert so I would also look into the things she's suggesting. I know...some days it's like trying to avoid air. Hang in there!

Someone on this board a while back before I started visiting posted a long discussion about how some still feel symptoms many months after going gluten-free. I was recently diagnosed in Feb and really took her research into yeast overgrowth to heart b/c the symptoms are so much the same. I am now eating a very large container of plain yogurt with fresh fruit every two days. I am hoping that will help me greatly. Momma Goose however is the Board Expert so I would also look into the things she's suggesting. I know...some days it's like trying to avoid air. Hang in there!

Oh My. I don't think anyone is an expert at this stuff. You did bring up a very good point in that there can be other things here working and bacteria overgrowth is a possibility.

Chris:

Have you removed all hidden gluten from your diet, such as toothpaste, soap, shampoo, lotions, lipbalms.

Yeah, we've pretty much switched to "pure organic" soaps and the like. I use Pantene and they confirmed with me that the shampoo I use is gluten-free. The toothpaste checks out as well. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm allergic to casein or something of that nature.

I've already cut out all the dairy, being lactose intolerant (aren't we all? :rolleyes: ) so I'm really wondering. I'll keep searching though!

Chris -

I had a similar problem, although I am sure I wasn't being exposed to any gluten. I added a fiber supplement to my diet (making sure it was gluten and casein free) and found that it helped a great deal - I know it sounds backward, but it has made a big difference in my daily "routine." :blink:

Sheryll

Chris -

I had a similar problem, although I am sure I wasn't being exposed to any gluten. I added a fiber supplement to my diet (making sure it was gluten and casein free) and found that it helped a great deal - I know it sounds backward, but it has made a big difference in my daily "routine." :blink:

Sheryll

What is the name of the fiber supplement you use? I'll try to find one around here and give it a whirl! Thanks for the advice!

Things got waaaaaaaaaaaay better for me when I stopped having all dairy (found out I was allergic to casein). It made all the difference in the world. Just mentioning this because I noticed you are lactose intolerant...and wondered if you're possibly also allergic to casein.

The easy way to test this out is to eliminate all sources of casein for about a month. I noticed an immediate small difference after just 3 days. But it took a full month of going casein-free to really see the results.

Hope this helps, and that you get to the bottom of this (sorry, couldn't resist the pun!) ;)

Soy anything does it to me everytime. I am so sensitive that even a little bit of half and half in my coffee will give me an afternoon of misery. (and misery for anyone who has the misfortune of walking into my office at the wrong moment) HEhehe, no where else can I joke about that and everyone get it. I bet you guys all know why I have the strong vanilla candle in my office :lol:

Hello,

My name is Chris and I'm a celiac.

I'm sure that one's been done to death but I couldn't resist. :ph34r:

Anyways, I have been gluten free for two years now and I have done what all of you have done: hunted through everything in our diet and house to make sure it doesn't have gluten in it.

My loving wife (God bless her and all the others who support us along the way) and I have been through. We only buy gluten free products that have gluten-free on the label or are from a company that lists gluten.

We have taken every step we can think of.

AND I still have the "Dreaded D". You all know what I am alluding too. It gets us in the "end" if you get my drift.

Being on the gluten free diet has helped some but I still have a lot of bad days. I've been on Imodium for several months now and it helps just a bit, not too much, and I'm beginning to worry about the long term effects of taking it for so long.

Do any of you still suffer from the "D" even though you have been gluten-free for a long time? I guess I'm just fishing for some advice here and maybe a little advice on what I can do to maybe help this.

Well, that's all for now.

It's a pleasure to finally find a great group of folk like yourselves. Been lurking long enough to see that I'm going to love it here.

You know , I

What is the name of the fiber supplement you use? I'll try to find one around here and give it a whirl! Thanks for the advice!

Sorry for the late reply - I take 'Renew Life' Fiber Smart - it comes in either capsules or powder. I take the capsules, but I know the powder comes with an additional probiotic blend, which is also good.

I get it from Vitamin Shoppe, but it's a brand that is probably available at other vitamin or health food stores.

I hope that helps!

:)

Sheryll