Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok my mon has to go in for lots of test run, One test the doctors want to do is an colonoscopy. Is there a way they can check for celiac that way. I figure if they are going to be in there anyway, that she needs to be checked. And she actually agreed with me. But i wasnt sure if they would be able to tell anything. And if they can what should she tell them to look for.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Paula:

A colonoscopy if generally done for issues in the large intestines. And endoscopy is a scope in the small intestines, where the blunting of the villi can be seen and biopsied.

A colonoscopy tests for other things, but not for celiac.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Paula:

A colonoscopy if generally done for issues in the large intestines. And endoscopy is a scope in the small intestines, where the blunting of the villi can be seen and biopsied.

A colonoscopy tests for other things, but not for celiac.

That is what i thought, but i guess i was hoping they could tell something. She does not have medical insurance right now because of variuos pre-existing conditions, so no one will take her. So she cant just get lots of test done. But the dr she went today wants her to do an colonoscopy so i was hoping they could look for celiac at the same time.

Is an colonscopy used to look for crohns, or is that an endoscopy to.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

That is what i thought, but i guess i was hoping they could tell something. She does not have medical insurance right now because of variuos pre-existing conditions, so no one will take her. So she cant just get lots of test done. But the dr she went today wants her to do an colonoscopy so i was hoping they could look for celiac at the same time.

paula

Yup, colonoscopy can indicate crohns in the large intestines.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

When they did my colonoscopy they were looking for crohns, diverticulitis, colitis, polyps, etc. I'm wondering how much more it would be if they just did the endoscopy at the same time as the colonoscopy? I had both done at the same time, but I have insurance, so don't know what the extra would be.

My thought also was to do both at once, if she is going to have them done. Or if you are diagnosed since it is genetic maybe she could get them to do the endo first. They seem to have it backwards here and it is so 'disappointing' to hear after a colonoscopy that everything looks great just eat more fiber. Or perhaps she might want to try the diet for a bit if a doctors confirmation is not extremely important. If the diet works she won't need any furthur testing.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)