This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bigmac Recipe?

Guest AutumnE

Guest AutumnE

My husband is craving one badly :)

I found this recipe, has anyone tried something similar? How did it turn out?

BIG MAC SAUCE

1 c. Miracle Whip

1/3 c. creamy style French dressing (kraft)

1/4 c. sweet pickle relish

1 tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. minced onion

1/4 tsp. pepper

Blend well with fork and refrigerate overnight. Use on hamburgers. To build a big mac use: 2 beef patties, sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions on a bun.

Im planning on using kinnikinnick buns. I tried to do a search but big and mac wont work since they are three letter words. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Autumn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

That's so funny--I just heard on the radio today a little history snippet about the first Big Mac, and I started craving one!

Your sauce recipe looks very similar to a copycat one I had years ago, and it was really, really, good as I remember it.

Enjoy!

Guest AutumnE

Thanks :) Im going to do burgers on the grill this week if its stops snowing and raining. I'll let you know if it turns out.

pnltbox27 Contributor

is it possible to get a bigmac with no bun??? ive been doing that with the double quarter pounders and a salad instead of fries.or am i commiting a no no

Guest AutumnE
is it possible to get a bigmac with no bun??? ive been doing that with the double quarter pounders and a salad instead of fries.or am i commiting a no no

That would be a no-no sorry :(

Their sauce contains wheat gluten. Be careful with the quarter pounders. Huge risk of cross contamination.

pnltbox27 Contributor
That would be a no-no sorry :(

Their sauce contains wheat gluten. Be careful with the quarter pounders. Huge risk of cross contamination.

yeah i kinda figured there was a risk of cc , but so far so good. i try not to do it too often :blink:

Mountain Mama Rookie

Hmmmm, to my recollection, the big mac sauce had a pinkish hue to it. There is nothing in that recipe that would make it pinkish? Am I wrong? I want a big mac so bad! There has got to be a way!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest AutumnE
Hmmmm, to my recollection, the big mac sauce had a pinkish hue to it. There is nothing in that recipe that would make it pinkish? Am I wrong? I want a big mac so bad! There has got to be a way!!!

french and the mayo might make a pink hue but I know these are different ingredients, the true sauce has citric acid and alot of ingredients that I dont cook with.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Big Mac sauce as I remember it from working there, is a really thick version of thousand island dressing. I am pretty sure that the french dressing would give it a pinkish hue. There really isnt much of a difference between thousand island dressing and the sauce.. but I was 15 at the time.. forever ago, so dont go on what I say.. that recipe sounds like it might be right on. I just said the other day to my dh that I am craving a big mac too.. hmmm.. maybe for dinner tomorrow!

Mountain Mama Rookie

OK, that's it!!! I am making myself a big mac this week!!! I think i will use biscuits for the bun, I have such a yummy fattening recipe for them and can't get the kinikinik however you spell it, where I live unless I order thru the mail. I sure miss the big mac...

Oh, and I read that wrong. I was reading too fast and thought it said french's mustard!LOL which would give it a nice yellow hue, not pink! I have to try it now!

CarlaB Enthusiast

How about thousand island dressing? I've always thought it was just like thousand island dressing.

My grandmother would make salad dressing from ketchup, mayo, and relish. I don't like Miracle Whip, but I know some do.

I don't think the Big Mac sauce has onions in it. You'd probably have to water down both recipes I posted as I think the Big Mac sauce is thinner in consistency.

Before I was gluten-free I used to like to ask the employees, "What is in a Big Mac?" I'm old enough to remember the song ... they always got a blank stare and looked at the manager! One manager told me if I could name all the ingredients she'd give me a free one ... I got it. ;)

This one McDonalds would always make them wrong. The manager would get so mad since they're the signature burger! They'd put all the ingredients between two buns, then between the other two there'd be nothing! The manager told me one day when I was returning mine to be made correctly that one time someone got one with fish instead of a burger -- through the drive-thru!

Byte Me Apprentice

Blue Plate brand sandwich spread tastes almost identical to the big mac sauce! :) AFAIK, it is gluten-free (it was when I last ate it a couple months ago). I have not found another brand of sandwich spread which tastes as good as this one does.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AutumnE

Thanks everyone :)

Well I did make it, way too tangy! I added alot more helmann's mayonnaise and did taste it till I came very close to it. Next time Im doing away with the miracle whip and sticking with the helmann's to see how it does. It was a good starter recipe though.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

The actual recipe I dont know, but to make a proper Big Mac, the sauce must be on the top bun and the middle bun, onions and pickles on the top? I havent worked there in so long.. but to get fish in it? the way our store was set up, the fish and chicken mcnugget fryers were across the kitchen from the burger grill.. yes we used to grill the burgers fresh, and the french fry fryer was always dedicated, nothing, I mean nothing else went into that fryer, potatoes only.. fries and hashbrowns.. thats it. ahhhh, the olden days

gfp Enthusiast
Big Mac sauce as I remember it from working there, is a really thick version of thousand island dressing. I am pretty sure that the french dressing would give it a pinkish hue. There really isnt much of a difference between thousand island dressing and the sauce.. but I was 15 at the time.. forever ago, so dont go on what I say.. that recipe sounds like it might be right on. I just said the other day to my dh that I am craving a big mac too.. hmmm.. maybe for dinner tomorrow!

Good luck but here's to betting its nowhere near as good as you remember it :D

However.... I gotta say if your having a craving that's a far more sensible cure than risking CC !!!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Top Secret Recipes has a recipe for big mac sauce that is awesome. You should make it a day ahead of time so that the flavors can mesh well before you use it. I've tried it a couple of times and LOVE IT! I use Kraft Catalina dressing in mine vs their french listed (same thing basically).

Open Original Shared Link then do a search for big mac or mcdonalds...or just look through all the cool recipes they have. Some are free and some are not. Big Mac Sauce is a freebie!!

-Jessica

BTW.........if you haven't checked out top secret recipes it is a WONDERFUL thing for us......recipes to make "knockoffs" of some of our favorite dishes. Just do some subbing and they are gluten free!! AWESOME!!

gfp Enthusiast
Top Secret Recipes has a recipe for big mac sauce that is awesome. You should make it a day ahead of time so that the flavors can mesh well before you use it. I've tried it a couple of times and LOVE IT! I use Kraft Catalina dressing in mine vs their french listed (same thing basically).

Open Original Shared Link then do a search for big mac or mcdonalds...or just look through all the cool recipes they have. Some are free and some are not. Big Mac Sauce is a freebie!!

-Jessica

BTW.........if you haven't checked out top secret recipes it is a WONDERFUL thing for us......recipes to make "knockoffs" of some of our favorite dishes. Just do some subbing and they are gluten free!! AWESOME!!

If anyone has trouble accessing the site (i.e. your not using Windows and Internet Explorer) the site is meant for Windows users only... but so long as you actuyally do have flashplayer installed it will work if you go DIRECTLY to

Open Original Shared Link

quite why people bother writing websites that only allow internet explorer and windows is beyond me but..???

Ok now I get it its full of spyware wouldn't work on a secure browser...

anyway, its nice to know it tells me I have an email from one of 3 pretty girls who'd like to go out with me ????

Just click the picture ???

angel-jd1 Community Regular
If anyone has trouble accessing the site (i.e. your not using Windows and Internet Explorer) the site is meant for Windows users only... but so long as you actuyally do have flashplayer installed it will work if you go DIRECTLY to

Open Original Shared Link

quite why people bother writing websites that only allow internet explorer and windows is beyond me but..???

Ok now I get it its full of spyware wouldn't work on a secure browser...

anyway, its nice to know it tells me I have an email from one of 3 pretty girls who'd like to go out with me ????

Just click the picture ???

I've never had any trouble accessing the site. I've never gotten any e-mails from it either?!?!

gfp Enthusiast
I've never had any trouble accessing the site. I've never gotten any e-mails from it either?!?!

Thats because its not a real email, its just a lie... to make you click it.

I've never had any trouble accessing the site.
then presumably you are using IE on windows...

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" type="text/javascript">

<!--

// Check the browser...we're looking for ie/win

var isIE  = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") != -1) ? true : false;	// true if we're on ie

var isWin = (navigator.appVersion.toLowerCase().indexOf("win") != -1) ? true : false; // true if we're on windows

// This is a js1.1 code block, so make note that js1.1 is supported.

jsVersion = 1.1;

// Write vbscript detection on ie win. IE on Windows doesn't support regular

// JavaScript plugins array detection.

if(isIE && isWin){

document.write('<SCR' + 'IPT LANGUAGE=VBScript\> \n');

document.write('on error resume next \n');

document.write('flash2Installed = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.2"))) \n');

document.write('flash3Installed = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3"))) \n');

document.write('flash4Installed = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4"))) \n');

document.write('flash5Installed = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5"))) \n');  

document.write('flash6Installed = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6"))) \n');  

document.write('flash7Installed = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7"))) \n');

document.write('flash8Installed = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8"))) \n');

document.write('flash9Installed = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9"))) \n');

document.write('<\/SCR' + 'IPT\> \n'); // break up end tag so it doesn't end our script

}

// -->

</SCRIPT>

They removed the detection for other OS/other browser...

However apart from that I'd never trust a site that uses flash anyway... because its insecure and gives them access to your PC...

but basically any site that sets out to trick people into thinking they have an email or thinking they need to click a button because "we have detected insecurities" etc. is pretty much untrustworthy...

Your not going to see the same stuff as me since it uses your IP to determine where you are...

The girls it says want to "go out with me" is all in French...

Byte Me Apprentice

The site will work with Firefox 2 (I'm using version 2.0.0.3) as long as you have the flash plugin. Spyware is virtually a non-issue with FF, plus if you install the Adblock Plus extension and subscribe to their filter service (all free), you're not gonna see those ads, or tons of ads all over the web for that matter. love it! B)

gfp Enthusiast
The site will work with Firefox 2 (I'm using version 2.0.0.3) as long as you have the flash plugin. Spyware is virtually a non-issue with FF, plus if you install the Adblock Plus extension and subscribe to their filter service (all free), you're not gonna see those ads, or tons of ads all over the web for that matter. love it! B)

You don't have user agent switcher installed too do you?

I'm on a late FF build and flash is definately installed (if I go to the link I provided)....then I can see the site.... and use it so I obviously do have a suitable flash version...

very weird?

aha,,, just read the page source.. it works for FF so long as you are running Windows.

Archived