Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone seen the new hemp tortillas at whole foods?

They are blue and say wheat free gluten free. I felt them and they feel

soft. I wonder if they are any good.

Has anyone seen the new hemp tortillas at whole foods?

They are blue and say wheat free gluten free. I felt them and they feel

soft. I wonder if they are any good.

I don't know if these are the same or not. They didn't come from Whole Foods. The ones I bought are green. Daughter loved them!

Are these the ones from French Meadow Bakery? I hope my Whole Foods starts carrying them. I have a freezer full of them which I ordered directly.

Obviously, I like them. I've heard others say they like these too. I did run across one person who didn't like them & DID like EnerG bread -- so tastes can differ :lol:

I like the corn shells but they dont fold worth a darn. Is there any thing out there that is like the flour ones I use to eat? You know big, soft, and foldable.

I like the corn shells but they dont fold worth a darn. Is there any thing out there that is like the flour ones I use to eat? You know big, soft, and foldable.

I don't know if they are like what you used to eat, but there are gluten-free flour tortillas out there. Trader Joes has one, but it is apparently only sold on the west coast. Food for Life has one -- of two packages I've tried (only comes frozen at my local store), one had dry crumbly edges and the other seems to be fine. Gluten Free Pantry sells teff tortillas -- OK flavor, but seemed a little stiff.

In terms of flexibility, the hemp ones seem best. (I use them as my sub for injera when I make Ethiopean -- the teff tortillas just fell apart.) But their flavor is not like a regular flour tortilla. I guess I will be going with the Food for Life tortillas for wraps, etc., at least until I get the gumption to try to make my own.

I've had them - they're an aquired taste and, in my opinion, work far better with savory food rather than sweet, but I like them. :)

I really like these. What do you all put in them though? So far all I've tried is smoked turkey with lettuce and carrots. It was good but the flavor of the tortillas, with the nutmeg and cayenne, is so distinctive that I'm not sure what else would be good in them. Maybe veggies and hummus? Hmmm I'll have to try that next....

I haven't seen these but I have heard great things about the new gluten free Teff Tortillas from La Tortilla Factory. I might take a walk to a health food store during lunch tomorrow to pick them up and give them a try.

http://www.latortillafactory.com/jadworks/...itewelcome/Home

jkm,

Those look promising. We eat a lot of soft tacos (or fajitas), and I'm not entirely satisfied with only corn.

best regards, lm

Usually veggies & hummus (or refried beans, etc.) -- then again, I eat vegan, so this is what I always put in wraps.

I've also used these tortillas when I make Ethiopean food. I haven't heard of anyone being successful in making injera at home and I haven't found a wheat-free version available online. I've tried teff tortillas, but they didn't seen to have either the flexibility, texture, or flavor that worked well with the food.