This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pneumococcal Vaccine....have You Gotten Yours Yet?

mamabear

mamabear Explorer

There are 2 common diseases that are associated with a hypofunctioning spleen. Sickle cell anemia is one and Celiac disease is the other. The biggest problem for us celiacs from hyposplenia is the risk of serious infection from certain common bacteria since our spleens don't effectively clear them out. A Pneumococcal conjugated vaccine is the preferred vaccine . This can be a life saver, so please check with your doctors about doing this immunization.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Hmmm. Isn't sickle cell a chromosomal abnormality, primarily associated with those of African heritage?

And I googled "celiac and spleen" and nothing concrete came up. Only one site mentioned that celiacs might have a smaller spleen (the hyposplenia you mention), but wouldn't our spleens be working just fine if we are gluten-free?

I'm not trying to argue with you--I'm just trying to think it all through. Do you have any sites/research you can post?

mamabear Explorer
Hmmm. Isn't sickle cell a chromosomal abnormality, primarily associated with those of African heritage?

And I googled "celiac and spleen" and nothing concrete came up. Only one site mentioned that celiacs might have a smaller spleen (the hyposplenia you mention), but wouldn't our spleens be working just fine if we are gluten-free?

I'm not trying to argue with you--I'm just trying to think it all through. Do you have any sites/research you can post?

No argument taken. I wish I knew how to link a site, but go to the Entrez Pub Med website and put celiac disease/ pneumococcal vaccine/ hyposplenia on their search. I'll try and figure how to do the link, but I'm leaving the house for a few hours .

One additional word of caution.....these are not given annually! Usually given at or near diagnosis, and then POSSIBLY a booster at age 65. These things change, so I'll post if other recommendations occur. So, ask your doctor whether or not you (the general you) shpuld get it.

Sorry I can't do it the IT way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Fiddle-Faddle you are right about sickle cell.

I got the vaccine my doctor suggested it due to me working in a hospital. I got it two years ago, maybe longer. I seem to have gotten sinus infections since then....I never had those before. I also got the flu shot this year too....

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
So, ask your doctor whether or not you (the general you) shpuld get it.

I'm glad you posted this, as this may be yet one more thing we all (we celiacs) need to worry about (like we really needed something else???!?!!). However, I'm not yet convinced that the medical community has shown that we are at risk for hyposplenia AFTER having gone gluten-free.

And unfortunately, my doctor is still recommending flu shots for everyone, and the full complement of 26 vaccines for infants by the age of 15-18 months. While I am not anti-vaccine, I am vehemently against the way vaccines are currently used (and marketed), so I don't trust my doctor's opinion on this one. :(

However, if it turns out that we are at high risk for hyposplenia even after going off gluten, then I think the pneumococcal vaccine may very well be a good idea after all. :huh:

mamabear Explorer
I'm glad you posted this, as this may be yet one more thing we all (we celiacs) need to worry about (like we really needed something else???!?!!). However, I'm not yet convinced that the medical community has shown that we are at risk for hyposplenia AFTER having gone gluten-free.

And unfortunately, my doctor is still recommending flu shots for everyone, and the full complement of 26 vaccines for infants by the age of 15-18 months. While I am not anti-vaccine, I am vehemently against the way vaccines are currently used (and marketed), so I don't trust my doctor's opinion on this one. :(

However, if it turns out that we are at high risk for hyposplenia even after going off gluten, then I think the pneumococcal vaccine may very well be a good idea after all. :huh:

Open Original Shared Link

See if this one comes through. It's from 1995 but still quite relevant. I will continue to look for the more recent one I found earlier today.

I think I figured out how to link........

mamabear Explorer

See if this one comes through. It's from 1995 but still quite relevant. I will continue to look for the more recent one I found earlier today.

I think I figured out how to link........

Here is the main article I wanted to link. I guess it still doesn't make it 100% clear by the abstract that the celiacs were gluten-free compliant. My general thought is that it only is talking about celiac patients and not delineating dietary adherence. What are your thoughts now?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Not to be negative here but..... I have been strictly, very strictly gluten-free now for almost 5 years. I have not even caught a cold. My personal take on this is that my body had built up a 'hyperdrive' immune response in response to my constant glutenings. I was always catching everything before I was gluten-free because my immune system was too busy trying to protect me from the toxin gluten to fight off 'little bugs'. Now that hyperimmunity seems to be working in my favor. I even worked in the school system for a couple years after diagnosis, a sure way to catch lots of stuff, and never caught anything.

That said do I think I need, or for that matter trust, any vaccine? Absolutely not.

mamabear Explorer

One more link( and then I'm done!! ) which does address gluten-free diet compliance. This study is from Italy, and I think most of us agree the Europeans are farther along in their celiac science! It is recent... a 2006 article.

Of course, we should have a say in what parts of medicine we choose to use.....but I figured since a lot of the really good GI docs don't remember to mention this..I would bring it up. It's best to receive it through your health care provider,public health department and keep the date in your medical records in case reimmunization status ever changes.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Not to be negative here but..... I have been strictly, very strictly gluten-free now for almost 5 years. I have not even caught a cold. My personal take on this is that my body had built up a 'hyperdrive' immune response in response to my constant glutenings. I read somewhere the other day that celiacs are not as prone to picking up viruses because our immune systems are in overdrive.

Seems there is one plus side to celiac disease!

tarnalberry Community Regular

My doctor also noted that a pneumococcal vaccine was important as celiacs tend to be more susceptible to more severe effects from it (blood borne, not respiratory). She had me get it (I have other risk factors - asthma). I had a pretty bad reaction to it, but they last, on average, about 10 years.

happygirl Collaborator

Dr. Green also mentions spleen and the vaccine.

Archived