Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzanne M.

Best Bread!

I recently attended a gluten free cooking class by Annalise G. Roberts. She has written the best baking cookbook I have found. It is called Gluten Free Baking Classics. Dr. Peter Green is a friend of hers and has written a forward in the book. I have tried the submarine roll, sandwich bread and french bread recipes all with wonderful results.

I tried the submarine bread twice and it was a disaster. <_<

I emailed Annalise from the Food Philosopher website and she gave me some hints, so I guess I'll have to try it again. Everyone raves about it. I need to find a recipe for hamburger buns that my son will actually eat. I bought Kinnikinnick hamburger buns $6 for 4 and he ate one. I could hardly stand the smell of them. (or should I say stench? :ph34r: Am I the only one?)

I think jmunchkin has had good success with Annalise's bread as well.

I had great results with the submarine sandwich bread, too.

I used the French bread pans she suggested, and I spray them with Pam and then dust them with corn meal (not corn starch).

I also preheat my oven for 2 minutes, turn it off, and let the bread rise in the oven (in the french bread pan put on top of a cookie sheet to catch drips).

I heat the water to the temp she suggests, too.

Make sure you are not using quick-rise yeast or bread machine yeast--they make the bread rise too quickly and then you end up with a mess.

And lastly, in bread baking, ya gotta measure EXACTLY, or it doesn't work.

Her sandwich bread is really good; it turns out way better if you bake it in a glass pan rather than metal. For some reason, all gluten-free breads do, but I don't know why.

There are a lot of wonderful recipes on her website: www.foodphilosopher.com.