This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Bought A Breadmaker

Mtndog

Mtndog Collaborator

I'm about to delve into the world of making my own gluten-free bread in my new breadmaker. I want to start using mixes- I need gluten-free (of course) dairy and legume free recipes or mixes. :D

How do Namaste, Pamela's or gluten-free Pantry mixes turn out in a breadmaker. I'm more interested in making focaccia like breads with onions, garlic, basil, sundried tomatoes etc?

Anyone have any recommendations to get started? I'm not quite ready to delve into buying all the individual flours :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Slackermommy Rookie

I haver heard that pamela's is great. I have a bread machine too, and I need to order some Pamela's. I have used gluten free pantry's french, and my family loves it. It doesn't taste like French bread to me...more like sourdough.

We love it. I also tried Lorka's recipe from here, and that was good too. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Bev :D

I don't use a breadmaker for it, but The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread has a breadmaker recipe on the package.

I love this bread--as probably everyone knows by now :P , as I always recommend it. I think it would be very good with some of the add-ins you mentioned.

It also makes a good pizza crust. It's literally the only bread I can tolerate.

Have fun with your new toy :D

mamaw Community Regular

we love bread from Anna!

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I make GFP favorite sandwich bread.. I dont know if it has dairy or what in it though, I just made it and the garbage already went out.. but we use it for grilled cheese, and it makes great breadcrumbs for the heels of the bread... yumm

Mtndog Collaborator

Thank you for all the suggestions- I looked at Bread from anna but it's got a lot of legume flours like chickpea which I can' tolerate :( I heard it's awesome though!

jodiegirl Newbie

My husband is the one who can't tolerate Gluten in our family, but I am the one doing the cooking. After getting mixed results (mostly bad) using our regular breadmaker, we went out and found one with that can be programmed for only one rise cycle, this feature lead to much better (and quicker) results! In my husband's opinion, the best gluten-free mix so far is The Gluten-Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread, hands down. He is not very picky, but he did not care for Bob's Redmill gluten-free bread or the GFP's French bread. His ulitmate favorite was GFP's Light Rye bread, but he has since been diagnosed with Chron's and can't have the seeds, the caraway taste really helped the overall taste of the bread, almost tasted like real rye bread. Hope this helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI

I HAVE A BREAD MAKER.

WAS SUCH A BIG DEAL TO ME TO GET IT AND NOW................ :ph34r: AFRAID TO USE IT

WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH ME??? I HAS ALL THESE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ''PREP'' IT AND IT WILL SMELL AND STINK OUT THE HOUSE LIKE IT'S BURNING UP...BUT NOT TOO WORRY IT SAYS.

I THE GFP FRENCH BREAD TOO AND IT WAS GOOD BUT.............I SNEEZE AFTER EATING IT WHEN DOING THE ROLLS BUT DOESN'T SEEM TO BOTHER IF TOASTED...

NOW WHAT KIND OF SENSE DOES THAT MAKE.

NO WONDER DR'S THINK WE'RE CRAZY.

BUT MY ALLERGIES ARE AWFUL NOW...

ANYWAY....NOT TO STEAL YOUR THREAD BEV..BUT YOU TOLD ME CLARITIN D 12 HAS LACTOSE OR DAIRY AND WONDERED IF THAT WAS IT.......JUST ADDING TO ALLERGIES..

WHAT DO YOU TAKE FOR SEASONAL ALLERGIES..OR DO YOU HAVE THEM?

HUGS

JUDY

ginap73 Apprentice

We got a breadmaker, I am the first to use it... so I am just diving in with the instructions and some gluten-free breadmix..

if it turns out great.. if not, i am buying more kinnikinnick bread.

I am hoping it works. if not oh well. back to the drawing board. :(

Mtndog Collaborator

Darn power went out half way through for three hours (huge tree down) in the middle so I had to restart. I

JUDY-I don't have seasonal allergies BUT yes, Cl;aritin has dairy in it.

jaten Enthusiast

Pamela's is WONDERFUL in a bread machine. (I have a zojirushi). GFP is also good, but Pamela's is my preference. It's great with just water, but I usually add about 1/4 c Dari-Free & the balance water. I also have started adding about 1/4 cup flax meal (self ground from seeds) to the dry.

Good for you Bev! You'll love the ease of a bread machine. SO EASY. Toss in the liquid, then toss in the dry, hit start. 2 hours later .... voila!

To Pamela's I've also added shredded cheddar and 2-3 chopped, fresh jalapeno. YUMMMY!!!!

Lorka's bread works great in my machine, too. (If you do decide to venture)

For storing, I don't care for any of it by the next day unless I freeze it. The method that works best for me is:

1. bake bread
  2. cool bread on wire rack
  3. slice bread
  4. wrap each slice individually in Glad press n seal
  5. Toss into ziplock
  6. toss into freezer

This take a little more effort on the front end but is SO worth it to us.

Our toaster has a defrost setting, and I use that to thaw for sandwiches, etc. (takes less than a minute) and works for taking sandwiches for lunch, etc.

Archived