This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gall Bladder Symptoms

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I think that I am having some problems with my gall bladder. I am having a burning/pain on my right side in the rib cage area. Also I sometimes get a severe burning pain inbetween my shoulder blades in my back. Also some nausea when eating or smelling some foods.

Anyone who has had the pleasure of gall bladder troubles........feel free to weigh in :) I'd love to hear if these are symptoms or if I am crazy.

Thanks in advance.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I am heading to the Dr. here in a few......the pain has been pretty intense and I decided to go :) Hopefully answers soon to come.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I hope you feel better soon and its nothing serious!

I hope you feel better soon and its nothing serious!

Went to the Dr..........he walked in and goes "so when do you want to have this done" :lol: He thinks it sounds like gall bladder.......Pushed around on me which hurt ALOT! He had the lab take blood and urine samples today. I have to do an ultrasound this week sometime. So we shall see.........I just want the pain to go away :(

Thanks for the wellwishes :)

One more thing............dr said eat a low fat diet. I am already bored with that lol Help me out with some good ideas of foods/combinations of foods that would be low in fat and good for a person who is having gall bladder troubles.

Tonight I had a bowl of rice :)

eveelady Newbie

I am currently waiting to get my gall bladder out.

your smptoms sound just like mine, pain top right, nausea on some smells...

definately go fat free (including "good fats" like avocado, nuts etc..)

Even a little bit sets off an attack for me now (gets worse the longer leave it) - unbelievable agony, unable to move, breathing even hurts!

would reccomend that you keep away from coffee and citrus too.

a gluten free, fat free diet is kinda difficult, have noticed that a lot of gluten free foods, have too much fat in it for me. if it says less than 1g fat per serve, should be ok as long as dont eat too much.

basically the only packaged/processed food i can have now is rice cakes and canned lentils/tomato

So a basic diet of fruit, veges, low fat proteins in on the agenda. and yes it is kinda boring and you prob cant eat out unfortunately, as pretty difficult to get gluten free, fat free meals Oh except fruit salad!! yay!! <_<

Starch is good for helping prevent gall bladder pain though, so lots of rice and potato.

I went in for my ultrasound today. My great g-ma is also in the same hospital so I went up to visit her and then went to get onto the elevator to go down for my appointment. Two people were comming off so I waited for them then reached my hand out to stop the door from closing.......which usually pops the door back open.....however this time......it closed and smashed onto my hand!! :o My hand was STUCK in the elevator door and I couldn't even scream for help because it hurt so much.

I finally realized nobody was coming to help me and with visions of loosing fingers dancing in my head decided to use my other hand and try to pry the door opened. I tried pushing the button to re-open the door and that didnt' work.....so went to work with the prying with the free hand. I finally got my fingers wedged into the door enough to get the door pulled back enough to slip my fingers/hand out. WHEWWWWW. MAN that hurt....fingers were bright red and purple with dents in them. I thought to myself....oh come on and "shake it off" big wuss! ha

Went on down in the elevator (still nobody noticed I got hurt) to check in for my ultrasound. The lady checking me in asked if I was ok (guess I must have been pale white or something). I said "not sure, I just smashed my hand in your elevator and showed her my hand. She immediately called someone from E.R. and they came and made me go over and get all checked out. The doctor was very nice, he knew I was feeling quite embarassed over the issue. X-Rays showed no breaks.......YEAH!! Just lots of bruising.

Once finished there, I barely made it to my ultrasound appointment. The ladies were waiting for me.

It was all quite painful and embarassing!! Now I await the test results of my ultrasound :)

P.S.......feel free to laugh :lol: that is all that I have been able to do....what person gets a body part STUCK in the darn elevator!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

My 15 year old daughter just got diagnosed with gallstones. They instantly wanted to have me talk to the surgeon about taking it out. Am I crazy for wanting to try and break them up before we do something that radical?

They prescribed a medication that is supposed to break the stones up. I was considering trying one of the natural remedies with epson salts, olive oil grapefruit juice and lemon juice. To see if she would pass them. She is not looking forward to drinking the concoction. So I told her I would drink it too.

I have talked to a few people who have done it and I swear by it. I think we may try it this weekend.

eveelady Newbie

I have heard good and bad things about trying to flush the gallstones.

the main prob is that the stones can get stuck in the bile duct during the flush and cause more problems.

as long as you are looking out for any adverse reactions, signs of getting worse etc.. should be ok, especialy if she is not too far along and having regular attacks of gall bladder pain/infected gall bladder.

if you can avoid removing a body part can only be good, as long as you still keep an open mind about having surgery if neccessary.

Eriella Explorer

I know this may sound strange, but are you sure you aren't a) constipated or b ) had gluten? The reason why I asked is that all of my symptoms when I got sick off of gluten mirrored a gall bladder attack. They even had the doctors and my mother fooled. It is a lot easier to fix constipation than surgery.

My 15 year old daughter just got diagnosed with gallstones. They instantly wanted to have me talk to the surgeon about taking it out. Am I crazy for wanting to try and break them up before we do something that radical?

They prescribed a medication that is supposed to break the stones up. I was considering trying one of the natural remedies with epson salts, olive oil grapefruit juice and lemon juice. To see if she would pass them. She is not looking forward to drinking the concoction. So I told her I would drink it too.

I have talked to a few people who have done it and I swear by it. I think we may try it this weekend.

While looking up info on gall bladder......I also ran into quite a lot of info on the flushes. They just don't sound safe to me. Like Eveelady said, the stones can get stuck in the bile duct and end up causing even MORE trouble than you started out with. Sounds scarey to me!!

-Jessica

munchkinette Collaborator

Wow, so how much relation is there between gall bladder problems and gluten-intolerance?

I just logged on here to post a thread about this. My mother just called to tell me that she's getting her gall bladder out on Thursday. She's 58, and experimenting with the gluten-free diet. My grandmother also had her gall bladder out in her 50s, and she was definitely gluten-intolerant.

What things can one do to keep a gall bladder healthy? I can see this happening to me in 30 years, but I'm the only one of the three of us who really figured things out and started the gluten-free diet.

debmidge Rising Star

coincidence, but this is exactly how I've been feeling this weekend....I think I have this too!!

Generic Apprentice

I do have an open mind to surgery, but just want to try and keep her body parts in her particularly since she is so young, if at all possible. The Dr. said the stone were all pretty small. Supposedly the epson salts open the bile ducts wide open.....

She has also been taking the meds which is supposed to break them up. I think it may turn them back to the sludgey stuff. I would like to try and get her back into school so this whole year isn't wasted.

eveelady Newbie

WHile there are possible complications with doing a flush to get rid of gallstones, the risk of surgery (and trauma of a loss of an organ ) are always going to be much higher.

I would personnaly have tried for a flush if i had found out early enough. Anything to avoid surgery, but still stop all the pain.

The decision is up to you and your daughter though.

Also on connection between coeliacs and gall bladder problems/gallstones;

fasting/low nutrition/excessive weight loss are all high risk factors for gall bladder disease - it apparently increases concentration of bile in liver

Wow, so how much relation is there between gall bladder problems and gluten-intolerance?

I just logged on here to post a thread about this. My mother just called to tell me that she's getting her gall bladder out on Thursday. She's 58, and experimenting with the gluten-free diet. My grandmother also had her gall bladder out in her 50s, and she was definitely gluten-intolerant.

What things can one do to keep a gall bladder healthy? I can see this happening to me in 30 years, but I'm the only one of the three of us who really figured things out and started the gluten-free diet.

I'm in my 20's lol so don't say that it can happen in 30 years lmao......Ok well I confess, that's probably what I would have said a couple of weeks ago ;)

Got the results of my blood tests back......liver and such are normal......he did say that my white count is really high. He doesn't understand why.

Also got my ultrasound results back today. They are "normal". So he is ordering another test. It is the one where you are injected with the radioactive material and you have to lay still under a machine FOREVER and wait while it goes through your system. I've had it done before (while trying to be diagnosed with celiac) and it is pure TORTURE!

I am feeling a bit sorry for myself this evening. I guess I was hoping I would have my answers with the 1st test and get the surgery to make the pain go away. I am exhausted, hurting, and frustrated. It feels like they are taking a long time to figure it all out. :( I'll stop whining now

I go in tomorrow for my pipida scan. I am injected with radioactive junk and then have to lay still for 2+ hours. :blink: I am very NOT excited. I loaded my mp3 player with new music so I am set for my 2 hour span :) Hopefully this will give some answers as I am still in alot of pain and still have a fever. It's wearing me out.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm just seeing this now, so you may have already left for your test.

Good luck, and I hope it provides some answers for you :)

I'm just seeing this now, so you may have already left for your test.

Good luck, and I hope it provides some answers for you :)

Thanks Patti......I go in for it at 2:00. Going to teach 1/2 day then head out for the test. I am a bit nervous......hopefully I don't "glow green" afterwards ;) Thanks for your kind words.

Called and got the results of my pipida. Gallbladder is functioning fine :( Now they want to send me onto a gastro. The doctor says he is not sure what is going on :( I'm a bit depressed about all this. I just want to feel better. It scares me to be bounced from Dr. to Dr. again. Reminds me of when I got my Celiac diagnosis......scary!!

eLaurie Rookie
Called and got the results of my pipida. Gallbladder is functioning fine :( Now they want to send me onto a gastro. The doctor says he is not sure what is going on :( I'm a bit depressed about all this. I just want to feel better. It scares me to be bounced from Dr. to Dr. again. Reminds me of when I got my Celiac diagnosis......scary!!

Sorry no answers :( , but kind of glad there's no mention of surgery yet. Hope you get reassuring answers soon!

Personal question from a stranger :ph34r: ...did the technician doing your ultrasound mention seeing gas pockets? Mine did and and had to push around a good bit because the gas limited her visibility. I ask that because even though I had no stones, and had my non-functioning gallbladder removed (see below), I still get sharp gallbladder type symptoms if I'm gassy.

For anyone following this thread, if you don't have gallstones, aren't gluten-free or haven't been gluten-free long and your PIPIDA or HIDA scan shows a non-functioning gallbladder, going strictly gluten-free will restore function according to the findings in this study.

Open Original Shared Link

I had my gallbaldder out in 2000 because my HIDA scan showed it wasn't functioning ...wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until last year. If I'd known, I could have avoided the pain of surgery, risk to my body and saved lots of $$$.

Cam's Mom Contributor

Hi!

I had my gall bladder out about 8 years ago after being in agony for over 6 months. The dr. was unable to diagnose it for that long because the stones were supposedly so small they did not show up on u/s. I had every stinckin' scope and scan available, upper GI, lower GI, kidney, lung, etc. Very unpleasant in addition to the original and persisting pain!

In the end, I eneded up juandiced and in the ER with pancreatitis because a stone started to pass and got caught in the bile duct. Man was I sick!!! They had to wait for the pancreatitis to clear up before surgery and I can gladly say that surgery was far less painful than any gall bladder attack. I was up and moving around the next day andit was laparoscopc (sp) and minimally invasive (for an organ removal anyway ;) ). I can also say giving birth to twins only remotely rivaled a severe gall bladder attack.

Anyway, just be very cautious - just because they don't see it doesn't mean it isn't so and I would never risk getting one of those puppies "stuck in the pipe". It hurts like the dickens and can cause major sickness. My advice would be that if you feel like it is gall bladder be presistent with the docs - it really can be dangerous.

Good luck!!!

barb

Sorry no answers :( , but kind of glad there's no mention of surgery yet. Hope you get reassuring answers soon!

Personal question from a stranger :ph34r: ...did the technician doing your ultrasound mention seeing gas pockets? Mine did and and had to push around a good bit because the gas limited her visibility. I ask that because even though I had no stones, and had my non-functioning gallbladder removed (see below), I still get sharp gallbladder type symptoms if I'm gassy.

For anyone following this thread, if you don't have gallstones, aren't gluten-free or haven't been gluten-free long and your PIPIDA or HIDA scan shows a non-functioning gallbladder, going strictly gluten-free will restore function according to the findings in this study.

Open Original Shared Link

I had my gallbaldder out in 2000 because my HIDA scan showed it wasn't functioning ...wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until last year. If I'd known, I could have avoided the pain of surgery, risk to my body and saved lots of $$$.

The tech didn't say much of anything (he had the personality of a flea). He didn't mention gas bubbles.

Thanks for the kind words girls.....it does help. I am a bit down right now because of no answers and feeling like poop :P Temp is 99.6 tonight.......and I usually run below normal so it's a fever for me. BLAH!

Does anyone know if you can have diverticulitis in/on your ascending colon (right side)? OR is that only something that occurs on the descending colon (left side)?

:rolleyes: I am also wondering if this isn't my problem.....high white count, pain, fatigue, fevers, vomiting......also matches those symptoms. I have diverticulitis.....but pain is usually on the left side....this pain is on my right side.

-Jessica

Kellygirl Rookie
I think that I am having some problems with my gall bladder. I am having a burning/pain on my right side in the rib cage area. Also I sometimes get a severe burning pain inbetween my shoulder blades in my back. Also some nausea when eating or smelling some foods.

Anyone who has had the pleasure of gall bladder troubles........feel free to weigh in :) I'd love to hear if these are symptoms or if I am crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica,

I had problems with a pain on my right side and inbetween my blades but I had tests done and found out I have a leaky stomach valve.

My mother however as well as my sister have had their gall bladders removed. According to them the pain is just as you described. My mother says if put your fingers under your rib cage on the right hand side and put pressure you will feel a lot of pain almost like it's bruised. The sick feeling isn't uncommon either. My sister tossed her dinner into the toilet almost nightly until they removed her gall bladder. I would get an ultra sound just to be sure.

Hope all is well and you don't need to get it out, if you do not to worry according to my sister the surgery isn't as painful as my mother said it was in her day and the scaring is very minimal - 4 little holes in and around your stomache area.

Archived